Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have to take a QB if we have a top 5 pick?
Chase Young is the safest pick. The best OT is also appealing.

A QB is kind of on the lower percentage side for success rate.

Drafting a QB is kind of like playing the lottery and I think a lot of us fans would like to see that. Although the chance of success is lower.
Reply/Quote
We have to get more picks so I'm fine either way. But they may feel they need to "spark" the fanbase by getting a new qb. But that's just lipstick on a pig. We have too many holes, and not enough picks the next two years.

If we could count on Free Agency then maybe, but we can't.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
As long as Duke Tobin is the del facto GM I don't trust he will make the right call.
As long the scouting department remains the smallest
In the NFL I don't trust their boards of ranking players
But it's my hope they trade that top 5 pick for 2 #1s.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 01:36 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Yea hes not entering the draft this year, hed be a Day 2 prospect at this point, hes waiting till next year when he'll be a sure fire Top 10 pick. It makes too much sense.

If he leads Ohio state to a national championship. He would be a idiot to not come out early. He's likely to go number 1 overall. Maybe 2 because Dolphins really like Tua. I think Tua is good but some of it is due to being a product of Alabama. 
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I hear a lot of people saying that we have to take a QB if we end up with a top 5 pick.

I am not saying we should NOT take a QB with our top 5 pick if the right guy is there, but I think a lot of QBs get drafted too high because of this line of thinking.  

For example, there have been 28 QBs taken in the top 5 picks of the last 20 drafts.  Only 5 of those 28 have started a Super Bowl.

Of the 21 QBs who have started the last 20 Super Bowls only 8 were taken in the first five picks.  That is the same number who were taken in the second round or later.  And no top 5 selection without the last name "Manning" has won Super Bowl in the last 20 years.

I know QB is the most important position on the team, and I know Dalton only has one year left on his contract.  So we have to be looking for a new QB, but I just don't want us to reach out of desperation.

Need to take the best player regardless IMO. Wanting Chase Young right now more than any player.

We could be the #1 overall pick so he could be the guy and we could take O-line, LB or QB in the 2nd and I would be happy.
Reply/Quote
If it were me, I'd be looking to trade down. Let some other team desperate for QB give you a boatload in return an start building from there.

I mean, if this team had just that glaring weakness and maybe a hole or two to fill then yeah, go get your guy. But we need a lot help and the compensation is just to great to ignore.

Stating the obvious here, but look no further than recent guys like Mahomes, D Watson, Lamar Jackson. There's value throughout the round. Teams are way too quick to judge a Trubisky or Mariotta as greater than when in reality they're not any more "can't miss" than the guys right behind them, that fall due to desperation passing and moving down due to teams not needing a QB.

Look at this list of some of games better, current QB's...

Rodgers ---------Pick 24
Brees ------------Pick 64
Pig Ben ----------Pick 11
Russell Wilson ---Pick 75
Mahomes ------- Pick 10
Watson ----------Pick 10
Prescott -------- Pick 135
Lamar Jackson - Pick 32
K Cousins -------Pick 102

And of course Brady, at pick 199...

The first thing this team needs to do, more than anything, is get Finley some meaningful reps and PT. They need to get some gauge on what they have there before proceeding imho. Then from there, just open and creative when it comes to the draft. Don't just stand pat and fall in love with a guy just because be's there.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I hear a lot of people saying that we have to take a QB if we end up with a top 5 pick.

I am not saying we should NOT take a QB with our top 5 pick if the right guy is there, but I think a lot of QBs get drafted too high because of this line of thinking.  

For example, there have been 28 QBs taken in the top 5 picks of the last 20 drafts.  Only 5 of those 28 have started a Super Bowl.

Of the 21 QBs who have started the last 20 Super Bowls only 8 were taken in the first five picks.  That is the same number who were taken in the second round or later.  And no top 5 selection without the last name "Manning" has won Super Bowl in the last 20 years.

I know QB is the most important position on the team, and I know Dalton only has one year left on his contract.  So we have to be looking for a new QB, but I just don't want us to reach out of desperation.

The last first round pick to be an impact player with Pro Bowl awards was drafted in 2011 and that is AJ Green.  Some of the guys since then were drafted a round or two too early with some just terrible pros.  Price and Oghuebi for example as terrible pro's. 
Its the reason the Bengals are failures in the NFL.
I'd advocate a draft where the Bengals start now to acquire draft picks to improve their odds of finding impact players.  They've done better with 2ed, 3rd and 4th rounders than with 1sts.  The new coaching staff inherited tons of dead wood from past drafts, so they deserve a chance to clean house with new picks.  AJ, Dunlop, Atkins and others won't get the team into contention, so trade them for picks. 
No idea if a QB is their first pick in 2020, as best they can they should go BPA.  They have the holes to absorb new starters right now.
Reply/Quote
If there’s a franchise QB available you draft him it’s a no brainer. Obviously this team needs way more than just a QB but it’s easier to build around a franchise QB versus building a team without one. Some teams like the Dolphins and others spend decades looking for a franchise QB and you only pick this high so often. Best case scenario you draft a franchise QB in this upcoming draft and Williams turns out to be a franchise LT. You would have two of the most important offensive positions addressed and there’s a good chance you still pick in the top 5 next year to add another impact core player.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 01:32 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He will be 21 by the time of the draft. would he be eligible for early entry

Draft eligibility isn’t based on age. It’s based on three years after graduating class from high school. If you graduate from high school at 16, you are draft eligible at 19.

There’s also an “end of college eligibility” requirement that players petition for a waiver. Not sure that has ever been rejected in my time of following the NFL and draft.

As to the OP, I’m only taking a QB or OT in the top 5 for this team. I’d also consider LB, not sure there is one of that caliber this year, though.
Reply/Quote
well depends..... There are always journeymen available as well... It just depends how long your going all in with ZT... or if you trust this front office to know a Franchise QB...

Best bet for a team needing a ton of things is to get someone to pay big to move up to are spot... So the bengals if in top 5 should be talking up all the QBs

Then trade back a little..... Always some QBs that slide in the 1st... and extra picks will go a long way to helping sure up the team assuming they are used wisely.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 02:13 PM)lone bengal Wrote: If there’s a franchise QB available you draft him it’s a no brainer.  Obviously this team needs way more than just a QB but it’s easier to build around a franchise QB versus building a team without one. Some teams like the Dolphins and others spend decades looking for a franchise QB and you only pick this high so often. Best case scenario you draft a franchise QB in this upcoming draft and Williams turns out to be a franchise LT. You would have two of the most important offensive positions addressed and there’s a good chance you still pick in the top 5 next year to add another impact core player.

at the same token you draft a young QB and break him behind a really bad line   and sometimes it breaks the QB...  Even if we draft our franchise QB I wouldn't play him until the OL is shored up a bit.
Reply/Quote
The benching of Dalton changes everything.

Looks like Burrow is the pick if there. If Burrow is gone, then Chase Young and maybe Hurts in round 2. Bengals will draft a QB fairly high in next draft. I would guess with the first pick of 2020.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I think if you don't take a QB with a top 5 pick, the only other options worth that selection are Chase Young and Andrew Thomas.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 02:08 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: The last first round pick to be an impact player with Pro Bowl awards was drafted in 2011 and that is AJ Green.  Some of the guys since then were drafted a round or two too early with some just terrible pros.  Price and Oghuebi for example as terrible pro's. 
Its the reason the Bengals are failures in the NFL.
I'd advocate a draft where the Bengals start now to acquire draft picks to improve their odds of finding impact players.  They've done better with 2ed, 3rd and 4th rounders than with 1sts.  The new coaching staff inherited tons of dead wood from past drafts, so they deserve a chance to clean house with new picks.  AJ, Dunlop, Atkins and others won't get the team into contention, so trade them for picks. 
No idea if a QB is their first pick in 2020, as best they can they should go BPA.  They have the holes to absorb new starters right now.

The last impact player to be drafted was also the last player to be drafted in the top 5.
Reply/Quote
If i were the Bengals I would just stop drafting offensive lineman, they've proven over the years to be terrible talent evaluators when it comes to drafting offensive lineman. Zeitler and Boling are really the only two that they got it right on. Build your line through free agency where you know youre getting a proven player.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 02:53 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If i were the Bengals I would just stop drafting offensive lineman, they've proven over the years to be terrible talent evaluators when it comes to drafting offensive lineman. Zeitler and Boling are really the only two that they got it right on. Build your line through free agency where you know youre getting a proven player.

That would require actually USING free agency, though. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 02:53 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If i were the Bengals I would just stop drafting offensive lineman, they've proven over the years to be terrible talent evaluators when it comes to drafting offensive lineman. Zeitler and Boling are really the only two that they got it right on. Build your line through free agency where you know youre getting a proven player.

You still need to evaluate talent (and attitude, professionalism etc) when it comes to free agency.

The most complained about player on this line was a Free Agent.

The biggest issue on this line was a proven player they traded for rather than drafted.

The player most missed on the O-line was an absolute steal in the second round.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 01:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If it were me, I'd be looking to trade down. Let some other team desperate for QB give you a boatload in return an start building from there.

I mean, if this team had just that glaring weakness and maybe a hole or two to fill then yeah, go get your guy. But we need a lot help and the compensation is just to great to ignore.

Stating the obvious here, but look no further than recent guys like Mahomes, D Watson, Lamar Jackson. There's value throughout the round. Teams are way too quick to judge a Trubisky or Mariotta as greater than when in reality they're not any more "can't miss" than the guys right behind them, that fall due to desperation passing and moving down due to teams not needing a QB.

Look at this list of some of games better, current QB's...

Rodgers ---------Pick 24
Brees ------------Pick 64
Pig Ben ----------Pick 11
Russell Wilson ---Pick 75
Mahomes ------- Pick 10
Watson ----------Pick 10
Prescott -------- Pick 135
Lamar Jackson - Pick 32
K Cousins -------Pick 102

And of course Brady, at pick 199...

The first thing this team needs to do, more than anything, is get Finley some meaningful reps and PT. They need to get some gauge on what they have there before proceeding imho. Then from there, just open and creative when it comes to the draft. Don't just stand pat and fall in love with a guy just because be's there.

Mahomes and Watson are great examples. Mahomes was available when the QB needy Bills were on the clock they traded down and wound up with Tre''Davious White,  Zay Jones, Dion Dawkins.

They did get KC's next year's first, but they had to package that and give up a couple 2nd rounders to move up and draft Allen.

Cleveland traded the Watson pick for peppers and Ward.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
My $.02

If we're going to take a QB and I'm not against that.
The QB taken (doesn't matter what round) MUST be a very mobile QB.

I'm not saying they have to be another Lamar Jackson or anything like that, but a running QB is another weapon...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote

There are a lot of good QBs in this draft. I wouldn't not be at all unhappy if they take one in the 2nd. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote