Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haven't seen this mentioned.....
With all those on here who wanted Simmons fired, and all that complain about everything...…. Bengals Special Teams ranked #1 in the league.
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst/2019
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 10:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: With all those on here who wanted Simmons fired, and all that complain about everything...…. Bengals Special Teams ranked #1 in the league.

he was who i wanted for HC..... after marvin was not brought back.   (and we knew no named coached was coming here)
Reply/Quote
Who wanted him fired? Are you referring to the Bullock/Elliot decision a couple seasons ago?
Reply/Quote
I smell a trend here..Our coordinators being lured to other teams.. Brown must have embarrassing photos of Simmons stashed away somewhere....probably of Simmons handing over secret documents in exchange for a bag of cash to a foreign spy or something.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 11:05 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Who wanted him fired? Are you referring to the Bullock/Elliot decision a couple seasons ago?

There were numerous threads and posts here at the end of last season with people wanting a complete house cleaning and all the coaches fired. But the main point in this thread is pointing out the exceptional play of Special Teams this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 12:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There were numerous threads and posts here at the end of last season with people wanting a complete house cleaning and all the coaches fired. But the main point in this thread is pointing out the exceptional play of Special Teams this year.

Great, 1 of the 10 stars lined up. Mikey can once again rest on his fine accomplishments. 

The team is the worst in the league, the owner is the worst in the league but thank goodness we have 1 respectable assistant coach to build off of.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 12:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There were numerous threads and posts here at the end of last season with people wanting a complete house cleaning and all the coaches fired. But the main point in this thread is pointing out the exceptional play of Special Teams this year.

People have generally loved Simmons. I saw people who wanted him as the HC.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 01:21 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Great, 1 of the 10 stars lined up. Mikey can once again rest on his fine accomplishments. 

The team is the worst in the league, the owner is the worst in the league but thank goodness we have 1 respectable assistant coach to build off of.

1 of 10 stars? I see it as 1 of the 3 phases of the game. Pessimism must be so fun....
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 01:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: People have generally loved Simmons. I saw people who wanted him as the HC.

Yes, many wanted to retain him, myself included. Just as many wanted him gone, go back and read the threads about how ALL the coached needed to go....
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 02:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, many wanted to retain him, myself included. Just as many wanted him gone, go back and read the threads about how ALL the coached needed to go....

Just imagine how bad this team would be if we didn't have the #1 special teams unit!
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 10:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: With all those on here who wanted Simmons fired, and all that complain about everything...…. Bengals Special Teams ranked #1 in the league.

Simmons was the one coach I wanted to stick around. Damn fine ST's coach.
Reply/Quote

Interestingly, on the football outsiders link:

We're 28th in team offense.
30th in team defense.

Miami ranks lower than us in both. We'll basically be playing ourselves this week!

Offensive line 26th. Miami ranks last.
Reply/Quote
We should be #1 with all the punting we do.

Practice makes perfect. If only that unit would rub off a little on the offense and defense.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Interestingly, we rank dead last on special teams in Hidden and next to last in Weather.

HIDDEN represents the advantage teams have received from elements of special teams generally out of their control: opposing field goals, kickoff distance, and punt distance. It is listed as points worth of estimated field position, and is ranked from the team with the biggest advantage to the team with the biggest disadvantage.

WEATHER represents the estimated effect of weather, altitude, and domes on each team's special teams performance. It is listed as points worth of estimated field position, and is ranked from the team with the biggest advantage to the team with the biggest disadvantage.

It seems that kick returns and fg kicking are out big advantages.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 03:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interestingly, we rank dead last on special teams in Hidden and next to last in Weather.

HIDDEN represents the advantage teams have received from elements of special teams generally out of their control: opposing field goals, kickoff distance, and punt distance. It is listed as points worth of estimated field position, and is ranked from the team with the biggest advantage to the team with the biggest disadvantage.

WEATHER represents the estimated effect of weather, altitude, and domes on each team's special teams performance. It is listed as points worth of estimated field position, and is ranked from the team with the biggest advantage to the team with the biggest disadvantage.

It seems that kick returns and fg kicking are out big advantages.

Huber is pretty damn good himself.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 03:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Huber is pretty damn good himself.

He is. We were 12th in Punting. Not bad.

Punt return 7th from the bottom.
Reply/Quote
Worth noting that it took Simmons 2.3 YEARS to put Brandon Wilson (a guy with multiple return TDs in college) in to return kicks. It only took Wilson 20 returns to get 2nd alternate at the Pro Bowl. He probably would have gone to it if Simmons didn't wait until Week 5 to start letting him return kicks. Heck, just imagine how much better the kick return game would have been the previous two years.

So it's not all roses and daisies.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 02:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Simmons was the one coach I wanted to stick around. Damn fine ST's coach.

Shhhh.. don't say it too loud or else the patriots will find a way to have him coaching them in no time. 
They are pretty, pretty good evaluating Bengal talent.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 09:06 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Shhhh.. don't say it too loud or else the patriots will find a way to have him coaching them in no time. 
They are pretty, pretty good evaluating Bengal talent.

True.  Now if we could just make BB our GM....
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 11:05 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Who wanted him fired? Are you referring to the Bullock/Elliot decision a couple seasons ago?

That's what I was wondering. He's the only good coach this team has.

Now, as for firing Taylor and his buddies, well, that's a different story. Those turds cannot be gone soon enough.

Reply/Quote