Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head Coach Openings
Jets, Lions, Falcons, Chargers, Jaguars and Texans have openings. I saw the news this morning with Zac. Had the Bengals let Zac go, how would you rank this teams in order from the most desirable head coach job to least? Where would you put the Bengals? I wonder if Mike Brown was afraid to let him go with the fear of being at the bottom of the list and therefore getting the 6th or 7th best option.
Reply/Quote
I’d probably rank us ahead of only the Lions and Jets in terms of desirability.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
For me I would think were pretty high on the list: Good young offensive nucleus, some defensive playmakers and high draft picks coming up, with cap room to boot:

1) Chargers-big market, solid offense
2) Texans- DeShaun Watson
3) Bengals
4) Falcons
5) Lions
6) Jaguars
7) Jets
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 02:50 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: For me I would think were pretty high on the list: Good young offensive nucleus, some defensive playmakers and high draft picks coming up, with cap room to boot:

1) Chargers-big market, solid offense
2) Texans- DeShaun Watson
3) Bengals
4) Falcons
5) Lions
6) Jaguars
7) Jets

I would agree that the Bengals would have been pretty high based on the reasons you listed.  I know the ownership scares some people and so maybe it would put the team middle of the pack, but there's a lot going for them right now as far as roster is concerned.  

Looking at those other teams, I see a lot of them with more holes than the Bengals have (Hou), or ageing players (Det, Atl).  And a couple of poorly run franchises as well (Jax and Jets).  

I think the Chargers hold the highest spot because of their potential, especially on offense.  Although I would disagree on market.  LA/SD is a super saturated market, and it's hard for those teams to really draw the way you'd expect given the population.  Just too much to do.  When I lived in SoCal, sports was the last thing on many people's minds, and if it was a draw, there were so many teams to follow with NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and even soccer.  And multiple teams in each sport, too.    

I'm trying not to dwell on what could have been, though.  I'm so disappointed this is even a conversation.  Nowhere else would we be sitting with a record like this and talking about where we could have been on the coaching list...
Reply/Quote
Jaguars are probably the #1 destination for the following reasons:

---Most Cap Space in the league. (Between 77 and 100 million dollars, depending on cap set)
---#1 overall pick
---Two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, 11 picks overall.
---No state income tax
---Weather

Texans are probably the least favorable destination for the following reasons:

---25th in cap space. (Currently 16 million over projected lowered amount, with only 46 players under contract)
---No 1st or 2nd round pick.
---Huge cap hit for Desean Watson vs other teams who have, or will have, starters on rookie deals.
---Current GM is former Patriots team pastor who has weaseled his way into front office. (Read up on this guy, it's wild)
---High Cost of Living

I'd actually guess that the Bengals could be pretty desirable, assuming they would offer a comparable amount of money and control as their peers. They have a good QB who's cheap, they have some real talent to build off of, they have a healthy amount of cap space, and they have the #5 overall pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 02:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d probably rank us ahead of only the Lions and Jets in terms of desirability.

Same.

Lions don't have a good young QB and Jets are the worst managed team in the league.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 03:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Texans are probably the least favorable destination for the following reasons:

---25th in cap space. (Currently 16 million over projected lowered amount, with only 46 players under contract)

I did not know about their lack of picks and cap space.

So I would bump the Bengals above them also. (Even though Watson is one of my favorite players in the league)
Reply/Quote
Slightly OT but Jacksonville's ex-HC Doug Marrone will be a great hire for some team at O-line coach or maybe even OC.
Reply/Quote
Chargers let go of their HC after going 7-9 because they felt that was not good enough.
It was actually two more wins than they had last season, but they were two seasons removed from a 12-4 record.
I would think the Chargers job is the most desirable out of the bunch, as they have some really good foundational pieces on both offense and defense, plus they are in a city that is near perfect climate and a ton of stuff to do.

I'd probably put the Bengals 2nd to last if it was open. Ahead of only DET. I would never want to live or work in DET, even though I'm a Red Wings fan.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 03:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Chargers let go of their HC after going 7-9 because they felt that was not good enough.
It was actually two more wins than they had last season, but they were two seasons removed from a 12-4 record.
I would think the Chargers job is the most desirable out of the bunch, as they have some really good foundational pieces on both offense and defense, plus they are in a city that is near perfect climate and a ton of stuff to do.

I'd probably put the Bengals 2nd to last if it was open. Ahead of only DET. I would never want to live or work in DET, even though I'm a Red Wings fan.

The Jets are pretty dysfunctional. Yes, they’re probably getting a new QB, and it’s NY (technically NJ), but they have a bad owner, and are pretty easily the worst roster in the league right now.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 02:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d probably rank us ahead of only the Lions and Jets in terms of desirability.

Yeah, and as bad as those franchises are it is still hard for me to put the Bengals above them because they are willing to hire a GM and move on from front office people and so on.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 03:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Jets are pretty dysfunctional. Yes, they’re probably getting a new QB, and it’s NY (technically NJ), but they have a bad owner, and are pretty easily the worst roster in the league right now.

The only appeal really is NYC itself. But it's not for everyone. I personally would never want to live there, but I understand the appeal.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 03:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The only appeal really is NYC itself. But it's not for everyone. I personally would never want to live there, but I understand the appeal.

They're actually in Jersey.  Not sure if that's better or worse though.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 03:45 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: They're actually in Jersey.  Not sure if that's better or worse though.

The facility itself is in Jersey, but they are right next to NYC I thought.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
not that it matters at this point but Cincinnati has a lot of positive for an incoming head coach.

1) Joe Burrow
2) other talented young players
3) patient ownership (not going to be one and done)
4) cap space to work with
5) team showed last season they were willing to jump into the free agency pool
6) no national media glare which allows the coach to work without a lot of press scrutiny and no screaming headlines
7) team was 1 touchdown or less away from having a 10-6 record

negatives
1) owner reputation
2) facilities
3) team depth
4) a distrustful tuned out fan base

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 03:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Jaguars are probably the #1 destination for the following reasons:

---Most Cap Space in the league. (Between 77 and 100 million dollars, depending on cap set)
---#1 overall pick
---Two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, 11 picks overall.
---No state income tax
---Weather

Texans are probably the least favorable destination for the following reasons:

---Huge cap hit for Desean Watson vs other teams who have, or will have, starters on rookie deals.
---Current GM is former Patriots team pastor who has weaseled his way into front office. (Read up on this guy, it's wild)
---High Cost of Living

I'd actually guess that the Bengals could be pretty desirable, assuming they would offer a comparable amount of money and control as their peers.  They have a good QB who's cheap, they have some real talent to build off of, they have a healthy amount of cap space, and they have the #5 overall pick.

Agreed, although I'd only put the Texans as slightly less desirable than the jets. They've got a high pick, but lots of holes, bad management, no clear choice for a qb and a community that wants you to turn that into a playoff team in one season.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 03:55 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed, although I'd only put the Texans as slightly less desirable than the jets. They've got a high pick, but lots of holes, bad management, no clear choice for a qb and a community that wants you to turn that into a playoff team in one season.

Side note, the Jets now own the longest playoff drought now that the Browns made it in.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2021, 03:45 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: They're actually in Jersey.  Not sure if that's better or worse though.

its a 30-minute drive to get from Manhattan to the Meadowlands and about an hour to get to the Jets training facility in Florham Park for those young looking to party players.  Most players with families live in New Jersey.  There are a lot of very nice communities in Northern NJ

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
if we wanted to put a positive spin on ZT returning with potentially as many as 7 other teams in the head coach search...... we would lose out on just about any available prospect that would be an upgrade....

We really only have Burrow to offer... now with a ? able knee...
Reply/Quote
John Elway is stepping down as GM in Denver, too. He’ll remain head of football operations, but they’re getting a new GM. Must be nice.

Reply/Quote