Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head Coach Rankings by Alex Marvez
According to Marvez, of FoxSports, Marvin ranks right in the middle of the pack at 16.
Reply/Quote
That's to high in my opinion.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
20 be my ranking.

Great at finding talent and putting a talented team together but terrible at getting the team pumped up, terrible at clock
management and terrible at getting the team prepared for big games. He would make a great GM.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 09:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: 20 be my ranking.

Great at finding talent and putting a talented team together but terrible at getting the team pumped up, terrible at clock
management and terrible at getting the team prepared for big games. He would make a great GM.
ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 09:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: According to Marvez, of FoxSports, Marvin ranks right in the middle of the pack at 16.  

Wow. Carolina's Rivera, San Diego's Mike McCoy and Phili's Chip Kelly all ranked ahead of him. For a coach with the second longest tenure you'd think he'd manage to trump some relative new comers who haven't proved much of anything yet. That playoff record is looming over him.

Reply/Quote
25ish.
the regular season belongs to the team and staff. Its about how deep the bench is, how quickly young players progress. The long term reliable plays developed by coordinators.

post season belongs to the top coaches. The ability to prepare their team. The ability to make the most of what you have. The ability to predict what the other team is going to do.

good orgs have solid seasons. Good coaches win in the post season.
Marvin gets a few points for his role in the regular season, but not much else.
Reply/Quote
Sounds about right. Playoff success this year could easily move him into the top 10.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 10:02 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Wow. Carolina's Rivera, San Diego's Mike McCoy and Phili's Chip Kelly all ranked ahead of him. For a coach with the second longest tenure you'd think he'd manage to trump some new relative comers who haven't proved much of anything yet. That playoff record is looming over him.

More like the anchor of an Aircraft Carrier dragging him down !

(06-07-2015, 10:05 PM)Benton Wrote: 25ish.
the regular season belongs to the team and staff. Its about how deep the bench is, how quickly young players progress. The long term reliable plays developed by coordinators.

post season belongs to the top coaches. The ability to prepare their team. The ability to make the most of what you have. The ability to predict what the other team is going to do.

good orgs have solid seasons. Good coaches win in the post season.
Marvin gets a few points for his role in the regular season, but not much else.

Exactly Benton !

Talent on you roster can get you by in the regular season (especially) early on. As it gets late in the season and of course the post season coaching separates the cream from the so-so. Solid gameplans, knowing what players to use and what plays, and the ability to react to what the other team does become critical !

When it comes to plan B - we got nothing
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 10:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sounds about right. Playoff success this year could easily move him into the top 10.

No way ! Marvin is in uncharted territory for playoff ineptness. He'd have to have two or three deep playoff runs and a Super Bowl win to just draw even.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 10:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: No way ! Marvin is in uncharted territory for playoff ineptness. He'd have to have two or three deep playoff runs and a Super Bowl win to just draw even.

All true; however, that doesn't mean than a HC that has led a team to the playoffs in 5 of the last 6 years couldn't break the top 10 with just minor playoff success. 

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 10:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: All true; however, that doesn't mean than a HC that has led a team to the playoffs in 5 of the last 6 years couldn't break the top 10 with just minor playoff success. 

A HC isn't judged by wins over 2-14 teams in the regular season AKA "leading a team to the playoffs". He's judged by wins in big games, prime time, crunch time, and of course post season. All of which Marvin is a giant failure of epic proportions !

One playoff win isn't going to change that. The only way he can get into the top 10, IMHO, which means little. Is a couple deep playoff runs and a Super Bowl win.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 10:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: A HC isn't judged by wins over 2-14 teams in the regular season AKA "leading a team to the playoffs". He's judged by wins in big games, prime time, crunch time, and of course post season. All of which Marvin is a giant failure of epic proportions !

One playoff win isn't going to change that. The only way he can get into the top 10, IMHO, which means little. Is a couple deep playoff runs and a Super Bowl win.

^^^This^^^
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 09:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: 20 be my ranking.

management and terrible at getting the team prepared for big games.
He would make a great GM.

You forgot terrible at game planning and in-game adjustments.

Take '09, for example, we went run heavy every game, which we swept the division and made the playoffs, but we just went run, run, curl, punt, most of the game and then won most games because of Palmer in the two-minute drill.  He needs to learn that one gameplan doesn't work for every team and he needs to look at the other team's strengths and weaknesses and then exploit them.  

If something in a game isn't working, he needs to learn how to recognize the problem and can't be afraid to change it up and do things differently.

Not sure where I'd rank him because we have been relevant most of the time under him, which is an awesome refreshment growing up and still living in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 11:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You forgot terrible at game planning and in-game adjustments.

Take '09, for example, we went run heavy every game, which we swept the division and made the playoffs, but we just went run, run, curl, punt, most of the game and then won most games because of Palmer in the two-minute drill.  He needs to learn that one gameplan doesn't work for every team and he needs to look at the other team's strengths and weaknesses and then exploit them.  

If something in a game isn't working, he needs to learn how to recognize the problem and can't be afraid to change it up and do things differently.

Not sure where I'd rank him because we have been relevant most of the time under him, which is an awesome refreshment growing up and still living in Cincinnati.

I'll say Marvin from 2011-2014 must have a better gameplan (in a sense) because it really seemed like the 05 and 09 seasons were successful because of overprotective RBs and/or Palmer running a no-huddle/2-minute drill which effectively cut Marvin and Bratkowski out of the equation.

Perhaps that isn't entirely fair, but it seemed like minimizing the amount of input those guys had helped the team a bit.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 10:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: A HC isn't judged by wins over 2-14 teams in the regular season AKA "leading a team to the playoffs". He's judged by wins in big games, prime time, crunch time, and of course post season. All of which Marvin is a giant failure of epic proportions !

Could be you are confusing top 10 with top 1.

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 09:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: According to Marvez, of FoxSports, Marvin ranks right in the middle of the pack at 16.  

About right....they don't call him Mediocre Marv for nothin!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 12:29 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll say Marvin from 2011-2014 must have a better gameplan (in a sense) because it really seemed like the 05 and 09 seasons were successful because of overprotective RBs and/or Palmer running a no-huddle/2-minute drill which effectively cut Marvin and Bratkowski out of the equation.

Perhaps that isn't entirely fair, but it seemed like minimizing the amount of input those guys had helped the team a bit.

It seems to help Andy a lot.  He plays his best in a no huddle.  

Very good point.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 11:43 AM)McC Wrote: It seems to help Andy a lot.  He plays his best in a no huddle.  

Very good point.

I'll admit my bias, but that's one of the main reasons I was leaning towards the "keep Palmer, drop Marvin" camp after 2010.  But ehh, we made the playoffs every year since, so who knows.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 10:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sounds about right. Playoff success this year could easily move him into the top 10.

You'd put him above John Fox? Who's been to the Super Bowl recently? And led his team to the AFC Championship recently as well?

Although I think Arians is ranked higher than he should be. But everyone besides Arians in the top 10 has made it to the Super Bowl, not just one playoff win. So one playoff win doesn't get you into the top 10.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 03:39 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: You'd put him above John Fox? Who's been to the Super Bowl recently? And led his team to the AFC Championship recently as well?

Although I think Arians is ranked higher than he should be. But everyone besides Arians in the top 10 has made it to the Super Bowl, not just one playoff win. So one playoff win doesn't get you into the top 10.

What does Peyton Manning have to do with this? 
Reply/Quote