Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Headline on ESPN Coaching decisions doom Bengals
(09-12-2022, 10:39 AM)Wyche Wrote: Bingo! He should've challenged the TD. He and McVay apparently made the wrong choice playing starters in the preseason. The punt deal is questionable, but Wilcox was struggling. I read where Simmons sent him out to snap when he felt comfortable. Huber should've ate that first FG attempt. Sample missed a block on the blocked kick it appears. All of that said, there's still that elephant. As in there is some blame to spread around, but there's also somewhere the lion's share needs to go. I see no threads dedicated to that. That's the only point I'm trying to make.  Tiger

I agree with these points. I guess the one that stands out is the lack of the new OL not having any snaps together in preseason. I understand Burrow not playing in preseason. He was recovering from a ruptured appendix and had lost a lot of weight and strength. It was just an unfortunate illness. He was rusty, but maybe unavoidable. But an entirely new OL, except for Jonah, and they clearly needed some game snaps together. 7 sacks and Mixon getting leveled in the backfield was a bad look.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:50 AM)Nepa Wrote: I agree with these points. I guess the one that stands out is the lack of the new OL not having any snaps together in preseason. I understand Burrow not playing in preseason. He was recovering from a ruptured appendix and had lost a lot of weight and strength. It was just an unfortunate illness. He was rusty, but maybe unavoidable. But an entirely new OL, except for Jonah, and they clearly needed some game snaps together. 7 sacks and Mixon getting leveled in the backfield was a bad look.

Absolutely. The Rams looked bad too. I think they should never try that again, lol. The WRs looked good, Hurst looked good, but I think we're all correct in saying the oline needed some live game reps this preseason. That was bad. Volson was REAL bad.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:23 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: But according to all you fans on this message board. It was all Burrow Zac deserves no blame.

Well Zac deserves ALL of the blame IMO.  He was the one who chose NOT to challenge a sure TD, and Im guessing he pretty much OK's a qB draw on 1st and goal from the 1 inch line.  Zac DEF should take the blame for this loss because it was his decision that absolutely took 6 points off the board and cost Cincy the game. Everything else being talked about comes down to player performance, which is never perfect. That decision to not call the challenge was the only and most costly decision that didn't require some sort of player performance or lack thereof, all it took was a simple, unforced action on Taylor....and he muffed it up. It's like having the winning lottery numbers in front of you but choosing not to use them as compared to not having them and having them randomly chosen for you. Every play is a gamble. Choosing a sure thing right there in front of you isn't.
Reply/Quote
I've watched it back twice. Joe Burrow was awful and not just on the plays which were obvious. He was predetermining throws at the snap, holding the ball way too long, not working down to his check downs and was BAD at run checks at the line. He was too eager to hit the home run rather than taking the short stuff in the 1st half.

Pittsburgh did the same thing that teams did to KC last year. They went heavy two high shell and then forced us to work long methodical drives and Burrow had no interest in that. Later in the game we started dumping into to the backs and walked down the field. The routes were there on the called plays and that is on Burrow wanting to prove something it seemed like. When he did push it down field he was often late which specifically caused the pick when the safety drove under it down the seam.

The missed run checks honestly were bad. First half he was checking out of runs in favor of longer developing passes then int he second half he was checking into runs against stacked boxes. Those are calls HE makes at the line and he was not on his game at all. Frankly, it was the worst game of football I have seen him play even beyond the turnovers.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:32 AM)Au165 Wrote: I've watched it back twice. Joe Burrow was awful and not just on the plays which were obvious. He was predetermining throws at the snap, holding the ball way too long, not working down to his check downs and was BAD at run checks at the line. He was too eager to hit the home run rather than taking the short stuff in the 1st half.

Pittsburgh did the same thing that teams did to KC last year. They went heavy two high shell and then forced us to work long methodical drives and Burrow had no interest in that. Later in the game we started dumping into to the backs and walked down the field. The routes were there on the called plays and that is on Burrow wanting to prove something it seemed like. When he did push it down field he was often late which specifically caused the pick when the safety drove under it down the seam.

The missed run checks honestly were bad. First half he was checking out of runs in favor of longer developing passes then int he second half he was checking into runs against stacked boxes. Those are calls HE makes at the line and he was not on his game at all. Frankly, it was the worst game of football I have seen him play even beyond the turnovers.

Oh boy, good luck with that viewpoint.....lol. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Really the only ones who don’t get any blame is that defense. Everyone else is at fault IMO. I don’t care how you split it. That offense led by Burrow was putrid for most of the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:23 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: But according to all you fans on this message board. It was all Burrow Zac deserves no blame.

Do you have a link to this; I'd enjoy reading it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:32 AM)Au165 Wrote: I've watched it back twice. Joe Burrow was awful and not just on the plays which were obvious. He was predetermining throws at the snap, holding the ball way too long, not working down to his check downs and was BAD at run checks at the line. He was too eager to hit the home run rather than taking the short stuff in the 1st half.

Agree with you. Two high shell challenges the patience of a high-octane, vertical passing game offenses and JB latched onto receivers, did not go thru anything more than 1-2 progressions, forced the ball downfield and held onto the ball way too long multiple times. You have to hit underneath and take the yards the D gives you. Patience patience patience.

There were at least 2 (could have seen a 3rd) times he did not check out of run blitz and/or stacked fronts. Was Chris Evans inactive yersterday?
Reply/Quote

Probably be impossible to find a news story that suggests Joe's 5 turnovers and poor play doomed us. 

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:46 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Was Chris Evans inactive yersterday?

Nope. He played on ST. But he got 0 offense snaps, which I don’t understand at all. Especially with Tee out, and Boyd banged up. It would have been nice to get Evans involved in the short passing game.

Reply/Quote

I think it's also worth noting that Joe was making certain throws (like the interception on the 4th down play) that he simply does not have the arm strength to bullet in there. Especially when he's still evidently recovering his core strength (and perhaps his arm strength) from his surgery. He isn't Justin Herbert and his success thus far in his career has not relied on those howitzer shots to squeeze the ball into ultra tight windows. 

I did notice that later in the game, Mixon was being given a free 10 yards every time Joe dropped back to pass and that's what Joe needs to do moving forward. Take what the defense is giving him. I am not sure why he was looking for the home run all day, but I don't think he'll make those mistakes again.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nope. He played on ST. But he got 0 offense snaps, which I don’t understand at all. Especially with Tee out, and Boyd banged up. It would have been nice to get Evans involved in the short passing game.

Absolutely shocking he did not get any offensive snaps, imo. This guy gives a complete change-of-pace from Mixon and is much much quicker than any other RB.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:38 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Really the only ones who don’t get any blame is that defense. *Everyone else is at fault IMO. I don’t care how you split it. That offense led by Burrow was putrid for most of the game.

*Except Chase
Reply/Quote
Granted, I haven't combed through every thread, but I'm surprised not very many people are talking about this decision:

Quote:4th & 6 at PIT 36
(8:23 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Burrow pass short middle intended for T.Boyd INTERCEPTED by A.Witherspoon at PIT 23. A.Witherspoon to PIT 23 for no gain (S.Perine).

If the Bengals kick (and make) a 46 yd FG there, they are down three 20-17 with 8 minutes left. Their next series they got down to the 2 and went for (and failed) on 4th and 2. Had they kicked the FG earlier, all they needed was a FG there to tie instead of having to go for it on 4th down AGAIN. Their last series was the TD to Chase. Which would have been the game winner, not even needing the XP, had they kicked (and made) the earlier 46 yard FG.

By not trying that 46 yd FG, they felt like they had to get a TD on the next 2 possessions.

Granted, Harris getting hurt, may have factored into the decision not to try for the 46 yard FG. But seems to me that the Bengals/Taylor made it harder on themselves by not trying that FG with 8:23 left to cut it to 3.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:10 PM)Cat-Man Wrote: Granted,  I haven't combed through every thread, but I'm surprised not very many people are talking about this decision:

If the Bengals kick (and make) a 46 yd FG there, they are down three 20-17 with 8 minutes left. Their next series they got down to the 2 and went for (and failed) on 4th and 2. Had they kicked the FG earlier, all they needed was a FG there to tie instead of having to go for it on 4th down AGAIN. Their last series was the TD to Chase. Which would have been the game winner, not even needing the XP, had they kicked (and made) the earlier 46 yard FG.

By not trying that 46 yd FG, they felt like they had to get a TD on the next 2 possessions.

Granted, Harris getting hurt, may have factored into the decision not to try for the 46 yard FG.  But seems to me that the Bengals/Taylor made it harder on themselves by not trying that FG with 8:23 left to cut it to 3.

Yesterday during all the "Zac sucks" revitalization; this is the one play I questioned. But I'm sure Harris' injury played a part in the decision. Hell hindsight what it is, we shoulda went for 2 at the end of the game.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:58 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: *Except Chase

And Hurst. Dude was out there bowling people over, and made that insane acrobatic catch at the end.

Reply/Quote
Maybe now this team becomes the underdog - a role in which they flourished last year.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:10 PM)Cat-Man Wrote: Granted,  I haven't combed through every thread, but I'm surprised not very many people are talking about this decision:

Granted, Harris getting hurt, may have factored into the decision not to try for the 46 yard FG.  But seems to me that the Bengals/Taylor made it harder on themselves by not trying that FG with 8:23 left to cut it to 3.

More than a 46 Yarder from the 36 is it not? I think there must have been a question about Harris at that point, as no way you don't kick either length FG with Money Mac if the unit is ready to go. If you're not sure about Harris, you definitely have to go for it on 4th there.

The only Burrow INT which was a positive play! Better field position than an incompletion would've given. 
Reply/Quote
Coaches decisions are also impacted by how the game is being played out especially the 5 turnovers. I am not sure how attempting a FG on 3rd down is a bad decision especially a close field goal and with a 2nd string snapper, a bad snap we still have 4th down to kick still a relative easy FG, sorry Mac should have made that kick, kickers also have to overcome a high snap or not perfect placement especially a cheap shot in the NFL. We are not going to agree with all decisions, but i did see such terrible decisions by Zac that impacted the game like the turnovers.
Reply/Quote
It's funny how Zach Taylor takes the team to the super bowl and he is remembered as one of the better coaches in the likes of Forest. Greg. Yet people always want him replaced or have an offense coordinator. It's easy to question coaching when a team loses, but the Cincinnati Bengals lost against the Steelers yesterday because they turned a ball over six times. The team was unprepared and that definitely goes on the coaching. They had tremendous amount of rest for such a talented team and that goes on to coaching.

I'm not going to say that. Zach Taylor does not make mistakes because he certainly does. But after watching the game yesterday, my focus for this more on Joe Burrow
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote