Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Headline on ESPN Coaching decisions doom Bengals
(09-12-2022, 12:22 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: More than a 46 Yarder from the 36 is it not? I think there must have been a question about Harris at that point, as no way you don't kick either length FG with Money Mac if the unit is ready to go. If you're not sure about Harris, you definitely have to go for it on 4th there.

The only Burrow INT which was a positive play! Better field position than an incompletion would've given. 

Yeah.. I forgot about the extra kicking yards.  Would have been a 53-54 yarder I believe.   Normally Mac hits those in his sleep, but I'm sure Harris' injury played a role in that decision. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:56 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think it's also worth noting that Joe was making certain throws (like the interception on the 4th down play) that he simply does not have the arm strength to bullet in there. Especially when he's still evidently recovering his core strength (and perhaps his arm strength) from his surgery. He isn't Justin Herbert and his success thus far in his career has not relied on those howitzer shots to squeeze the ball into ultra tight windows. 

I did notice that later in the game, Mixon was being given a free 10 yards every time Joe dropped back to pass and that's what Joe needs to do moving forward. Take what the defense is giving him. I am not sure why he was looking for the home run all day, but I don't think he'll make those mistakes again.

Funny enough, that interception I was actually okay with. It was 4th down and they had to go for it because of the Harris situation. An interception in that situation is better field position wise than a turnover on downs or sack so throwing it in there and taking a chance was a calculated risk. 

It's the same reason Mahomes struggled to start last year, impatience. You have to be willing to go on 10 plus play drives and a young QB, and OC, can struggle with that at times. Add in the fact we have these shinny toys on the outside we want to use and you see why it can be so tempting to want to take your shots. 
Reply/Quote
Taylor is a bottom tier coach, I've said it since day 1, just the reality.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: Funny enough, that interception I was actually okay with. It was 4th down and they had to go for it because of the Harris situation. An interception in that situation is better field position wise than a turnover on downs or sack so throwing it in there and taking a chance was a calculated risk. 

It's the same reason Mahomes struggled to start last year, impatience. You have to be willing to go on 10 plus play drives and a young QB, and OC, can struggle with that at times. Add in the fact we have these shinny toys on the outside we want to use and you see why it can be so tempting to want to take your shots. 

Yea, I didn't mind that interception in particular, it was just an example I could think of off the top of my head where I saw it and thought "Man, that window was so small and it closed so quickly, I'm not sure Joe is actually physically capable of that throw."

I do think Joe got a wee bit caught up in the "F it, Ja'marr's down there somewhere, just throw it up to him" line of thinking. I think he'll adjust quickly.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:14 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, I didn't mind that interception in particular, it was just an example I could think of off the top of my head where I saw it and thought "Man, that window was so small and it closed so quickly, I'm not sure Joe is actually physically capable of that throw."

The whole shot pick six was a far side smash concept against Cover 2 which is standard but Minkah was driving quickly because there was no sell at the top of the route and when he drove we were toast. More arm may get it in there but it was also a high level play by Minkah as he recognized he only had a single vertical threat and "1" sat which means 9 times out of 10 it's smash and he read it right. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:14 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I do think Joe got a wee bit caught up in the "F it, Ja'marr's down there somewhere, just throw it up to him" line of thinking. I think he'll adjust quickly.

Good things tend to happen when he throws it to Chase though. Burrow to Boyd is the connection that seems to cause the most trouble - even going back to last year.

I know part of it was due to Tee going out, but I did like giving Chase 16 targets. He caught 10 of them for 129 yds, 1 TD (really was 2) and was inches away from another. I would love to see him continue to get 10-15 targets a game even once Tee is back.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Good things tend to happen when he throws it to Chase though. Burrow to Boyd is the connection that seems to cause the most trouble - even going back to last year.

I know part of it was due to Tee going out, but I did like giving Chase 12 targets. He caught 10 of them for 129 yds, 1 TD (really was 2) and was inches away from another. I would love to see him continue to get 10-15 targets a game even once Tee is back.

I am actually with you here. There were times late where we started getting some cover 3 looks where Chase was getting single looks that even though the CB was in off coverage I'd have liked to take a shot and let him go for it. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Good things tend to happen when he throws it to Chase though. Burrow to Boyd is the connection that seems to cause the most trouble - even going back to last year.

I know part of it was due to Tee going out, but I did like giving Chase 12 targets. He caught 10 of them for 129 yds, 1 TD (really was 2) and was inches away from another. I would love to see him continue to get 10-15 targets a game even once Tee is back.

(09-12-2022, 02:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: I am actually with you here. There were times late where we started getting some cover 3 looks where Chase was getting single looks that even though the CB was in off coverage I'd have liked to take a shot and let him go for it. 

100% agreed with both of you. The more we involve Chase, the better our offense will be. I get that he'll have a safety over him when he's on the outside 90% of the time, but I really liked what we did with him in the slot both last year and yesterday. I hope they continue to put him in positions that allow him to make a man miss and get 10 to 15 yards in addition to isolating him on a slot corner or safety as much as possible.

The more often we throw to Chase (without forcing it into double or triple coverage consistently), the more likely we are to win, in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 01:46 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Taylor is a bottom tier coach, I've said it since day 1, just the reality.

And on your best day you're a bottom tier fan and less than that in football knowledge.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It's funny how Zach Taylor takes the team to the super bowl and he is remembered as one of the better coaches in the likes of Forest. Greg.  Yet people always want him replaced or have an offense coordinator.  It's easy to question coaching when a team loses, but the Cincinnati Bengals lost against the Steelers yesterday because they turned a ball over six times.  The team was unprepared and that definitely goes on the coaching.  They had tremendous amount of rest for such a talented team and that goes on to coaching.

I'm not going to say that. Zach Taylor does not make mistakes because he certainly does.  But after watching the game yesterday, my focus for this more on Joe Burrow

Burrow was rusty as he should have been considering what he's been through, Zac not so much.  Players have to actually perform.  All coaches do is make decisions.........and there have been a TON of very, very questionable if not outright poor coaching decisions over the years
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:36 PM)higgy100 Wrote: And on your best day you're a bottom tier fan and less than that in football knowledge.

No need to make it personal when someone has a opinion that doesn't agree with yours.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 02:36 PM)higgy100 Wrote: And on your best day you're a bottom tier fan and less than that in football knowledge.

Far from that, you are the average fan who doesn't understand the in-depth view of the game, I'll go head to head with you on football knowledge any day of the week buddy.  You're just a tv cheerleader who rah rahs at big plays and wins and lack a deeper understanding.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 11:58 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: *Except Chase

I do concur. 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Funny how Zac gets all the credit for wins, but no blame for losses.

He made a horrible decision that helped lead directly to our defeat.  The fact that we beat the Steelers last year has nothing to do with it.

I'm still trying to figure out why we were playing for a field when there was minute & a half left in overtime. We knew there was issue with the snapper, so play for the TD. Then Huber didn't fall on the high snap on 3rd down, which is why you even try on 3rd, in case of a bad snap. To make it worse not one Steeler even tried to block it.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 05:56 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: I'm still trying to figure out why we were playing for a field when there was minute & a half left in overtime. We knew there was issue with the snapper, so play for the TD. Then Huber didn't fall on the high snap on 3rd down, which is why you even try on 3rd, in case of a bad snap. To make it worse not one Steeler even tried to block it.

If we were playing for A FG at the end, JB wouldn't have been stripped while trying to complete a pass when we were in FG range.

I get folks are mad and they lose rationality. Like I said all along blaming Zac is like blaming the deck chair fabric patterns for the sinking of the Titanic. Sure if they would have been floatable and bright orange they could have helped. but are they the reason the ship sank?

I'm sure there are a number of plays ZT is second-guessing himself on, but the usual suspect around here that have been made to look silly will jump on any sliver they can get. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Challenge the Chase touchdown.Win the challenge.Kick the extra point.You win the game.Zac is great head coach.Burrow is a great Quarterback that never gives up.Yes,the conversation would be a whole lot different.This was one weird game.But,I have to admit,it was very entertaining,to say the least.Potential game of the year candidate???
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 05:56 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: I'm still trying to figure out why we were playing for a field when there was minute & a half left in overtime. We knew there was issue with the snapper, so play for the TD. Then Huber didn't fall on the high snap on 3rd down, which is why you even try on 3rd, in case of a bad snap. To make it worse not one Steeler even tried to block it.

Simmons basically said that both snaps were good enough to win it.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:23 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: But according to all you fans on this message board. It was all Burrow Zac deserves no blame.

Well, if ESPN said it, it must be true.  And I don't think you will find anyone giving Joe 100% of the blame and Zac 0%...both made mistakes.  Both need to get better.

And we don't need ESPN's chronic Bengal Hate creeping in to this board.  God, I miss Kay Adams so much.  
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here are a couple.  I can find more if you want.

Apparently once a team goes into overtime the coach's decisions no longer matter, but I have a funny feeling that if we had pulled out the victory they would be giving a lot of credit to Zac Taylor because the team "never quit".Rolleyes

Props on crossing 100000 rep+

I guess sarcasm can pay, sometimes.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 09:23 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: But according to all you fans on this message board. It was all Burrow Zac deserves no blame.

Well, it's ESPN so......
Reply/Quote