Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heavily trenches mock
I still have concerns that JC Latham is going to be Andre Smith 2.0, though I guess that is more acceptable at 18 overall than, what was it, the 6th overall pick we got Smith with? Anyways, we have Trent Brown so maybe between them they can put together an entire year of starts at right tackle.

Some will argue that rd 2 is where I should have gone skill player and there were some available but I committed to the idea of having depth and building a future on the lines. We have Burrow for the next 5 years for sure. Build your lines, then the defense, THEN worry about skill positions.

I feel like I addressed the nose tackle issue here fairly well. Maason Smith is big (315 lbs). Kristian Boyd is slightly bigger (317 lbs). And Favien Lovett is even slightly bigger than that (318 lbs) -- but he is 24 so that may be a knock against him.  

No there isn't a TE or Tee Higgins replacement at WR (though Johnny Wilson is taller than Tee at least). There isn't some exciting RB to add to our room however for that I would look at players who get cut in August for. It is a draft I would feel good about and I believe that we could win a Super Bowl this year with, but also in future years with.  

18 JC Latham OT | Alabama

49 Zach Frazier IOL (Center) | West Virginia

80 Maason Smith DL | LSU
97 Jonah Elliss EDGE | Utah

115 Kris Abrams-Draine CB | Missouri

149 Johnny Wilson WR | Florida State

194 Jordan Travis QB | Florida State
214 Kristian Boyd DL (NT) | Northern Iowa

224 Brandon Coleman IOL | TCU
237 Fabien Lovett DL | Florida State

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not a bad draft actually! At pick 97, I probably would have went with RB, maybe got our "Thunder" back.
For some reason, jut a gut feeling, I am not the biggest Lathom fan. I prefer Mims because IMO he is more athletic.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 12:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Not a bad draft actually! At pick 97, I probably would have went with RB, maybe got our "Thunder" back.
For some reason, jut a gut feeling, I am not the biggest Lathom fan. I prefer Sims because IMO he is more athletic.

You mean Mims, but yeah, I am with you on a RB is about the main thing I see missing in this Mock.

Good job BoomerFan, reps. Love a Mock built in the trenches everytime. Love the Frazier and Maason Smith picks and they are very likely
from our interest level. Might want to flip these picks around as Frazier will probably not be ready to play early this season with the broken
leg he suffered in the Bowl game. Think Maason Smith's stock is rising to late 2nd round consideration.

Johnny Wilson is one of my favorite weapons in this Draft love this pick. I know nothing about Elliss, but Utah puts out some good Ends.

If a RB like Braelon Allen, Jonathan Brooks, Trey Benson is put in here I would absolutely love this Draft. 

Keep Johnny Wilson whatever you do though.
Reply/Quote
I’m usually pretty happy when I do a mock and load up on big guys early. Multiple DL and OL early sure seems like a good idea.
Reply/Quote
Latham won't be there at 18
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 08:03 PM)DYT-Flyer Wrote: Latham won't be there at 18

Eh, no telling and OL that don't do the workouts tend to fall. Wouldn't surprise me if he fell to us and we passed on him because of our history 
with OL not doing the workouts. Fuaga is who I want and he probably won't be there and there are questions with Fuaga's arm length and size.

Just like there are questions about Latham and his health and Mims and his lack of playing time.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2024, 08:03 PM)DYT-Flyer Wrote: Latham won't be there at 18

I'm open to other tackles.

Reply/Quote
I'm praying that Latham doesn't make it to 18. He just screams Alabama bust.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 11:58 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm praying that Latham doesn't make it to 18.  He just screams Alabama bust.

What exactly about his game is it that screams "bust" to you?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 11:58 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm praying that Latham doesn't make it to 18.  He just screams Alabama bust.

I am wondering, what about Latham the Trench King's game makes you think this Hammerstripes?

I understand the injury questions, him not participating in the workouts and the recent Bama OL playing poorly, just wondering 
about Latham's game in particular makes you think Latham will be a Bama bust?
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 01:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What exactly about his game is it that screams "bust" to you?

Beat me to it by like 2 seconds Sunset lol

Seriously, looking at Latham and how he plays, he looks like a damn good player.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 01:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Beat me to it by like 2 seconds Sunset lol

Seriously, looking at Latham and how he plays, he looks like a damn good player.

Yeah, the only thing that I could find about weakness in his game is that sometimes he can be susceptible to an inside move as he can sometimes over commit to securing the edge in pass pro. That could come from either a natural tendency, or (more likely) he could have been coached to do that for schematic reasons at 'Bama.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 01:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, the only thing that I could find about weakness in his game is that sometimes he can be susceptible to an inside move as he can sometimes over commit to securing the edge in pass pro. That could come from either a natural tendency, or (more likely) he could have been coached to do that for schematic reasons at 'Bama.

That looks like the only thing I see, which he can be coached up on. It isn't the player that scares me, it is our history with players that
skip workouts, he is obviously still injured. This is all the scares me with JC Latham. If the coaches have talked to him and still like him I 
will trust in them on this one. I know Price was picked when Pollack was here, but I think we will be really gun-shy after that.

Make sure Latham is ready to go by TC if we do pick him.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 01:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What exactly about his game is it that screams "bust" to you?

I know it doesn't make sense - but the Alabama helmet is the start of it.

I've watched him play and I just don't get a good vibe from him in pass pro.  Add in the fact we don't know how he tests, that's a major no for me.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 02:53 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I know it doesn't make sense - but the Alabama helmet is the start of it.

I've watched him play and I just don't get a good vibe from him in pass pro.  Add in the fact we don't know how he tests, that's a major no for me.

Not sure if you saw something or just are biased against Alabama players, but the NFL gave him the #1 production grade of all linemen this draft cycle. They get that from watching his footage and comparing to others in his class.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 03:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not sure if you saw something or just are biased against Alabama players, but the NFL gave him the #1 production grade of all linemen this draft cycle. They get that from watching his footage and comparing to others in his class.

Yeah, and we've seen other guys get great grades in college and then fail in the NFL.

I would question that production grade as well.  I don't think he's a better prospect than a few of the other guys.

I'd prefer a more athletic guy on the line.  These heavy guys don't really do it for me anymore on the outside.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 04:30 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, and we've seen other guys get great grades in college and then fail in the NFL.

I would question that production grade as well.  I don't think he's a better prospect than a few of the other guys.

I'd prefer a more athletic guy on the line.  These heavy guys don't really do it for me anymore on the outside.

Mims sounds like your guy and I don't blame you if he is. A 6'7" 340 pound athletic freak is what Amarius Mims is.

Guy looks like he could play TE, except he just bullies DL with his strength and great balance. What an upgrade for athleticism if we get Mims.

Talk about a LG that could pull while Trent Brown mans RT until he gets hurt.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 05:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mims sounds like your guy and I don't blame you if he is. A 6'7" 315+ athletic freak is what Amarius Mims is.

Guy looks like he could play TE, except he just bullies DL with his strength and great balance. What an upgrade for athleticism if we get Mims.

Talk about a LG that could pull while Trent Brown mans RT until he gets hurt.

I'm actually a "don't force an OT at 18" guy.

I'd rather go Newton or Murphy.  But if we do go RT, I want an athletic guy, and Latham isn't it.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 07:35 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm actually a "don't force an OT at 18" guy.

I'd rather go Newton or Murphy.  But if we do go RT, I want an athletic guy, and Latham isn't it.

I am of the same way, don't force the pick to be an OT like some are, I think that might be a mistake with Latham or especially Guyton who 
actually IS athletic but it doesn't matter if he has bad technique and doesn't know what he is doing on the field. Latham actually knows what
he is doing and fits as the RT to step in once Trent Brown leaves. But I do like Mims the most for us who has it all but a ton of snaps.

Amarius Mims, Byron Murphy or Johnny Newton and I am a happy fella in the 1st round.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2024, 02:53 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I know it doesn't make sense - but the Alabama helmet is the start of it.

This is where I am at. I can't think of a Bama lineman that has gone on to the pros and killed it in the last 20 years. Could be, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.
Reply/Quote