Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hendrickson signs extension
(07-27-2023, 12:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: it seems odd he "blacked out"    hope that doesnt happen often during the season.

Oddly enough (see what I did there?), I read where they call Hendrickson "Blackout Trey" because he does the same stuff during games apparently.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: Weird move...

There's nothing weird about it if you have a known quantity and extending them helps the team. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:43 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There's nothing weird about it if you have a known quantity and extending them helps the team. 

Yeah man, this is a homerun. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Well, this is good news.

Hendrickson's numbers for 2024, while signed, were at $17.5 mil contract with only $2.5 dead cap. We could save $15 mil by cutting him.

Likely, this shifts salary to 2025 while giving him more guaranteed money in 2024 & 2025 while freeing the Bengals some cap space this year and 2024.

I know we drafted Murphy and Ossai has made strides, but Reader & Hendrickson are our foundational defensive guys IMHO.

So much for everyone thinking Burrow's deal will get done first. This also may signal a frontload on the Burrow extension. Or a massive signing bonus for Tee/Wilson. I can feel the invisible hand of Katie at work here.

I wonder if we do a similar thing with Reader.
Reply/Quote

Huh? What makes you say that?

(07-27-2023, 01:43 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: There's nothing weird about it if you have a known quantity and extending them helps the team. 

Absolutely, rewarding Trey for the great job that he's been doing while the cash is still plentiful can only be looked at as a smart move.

(07-27-2023, 01:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah man, this is a homerun. 

Yessir, another piece of the nucleus secured through 2025.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, Trey gets an extension after being named a top 100 player. Maybe each extension gets announced after each player's top 100 player announcement?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:49 PM)Housh Wrote: I assume since we ahead him through 2024 that this deal is going to give him a SHITLOAD of money this year guaranteed so that his cap hits are manageable in 2024, and 2025.

Basically we probably said hey, do you mind taking more of your money nowso we can make Tee work?

I also wonder who pushed for the extra year. Maybe Trey pushed for it, to ensure he’s a Bengals longer. This is feeling like a sweetheart deal from Trey. I need to see the money

“I’m not really responsible with my money so I’d really like it spread out.”
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 02:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: “I’m not really responsible with my money so I’d really like it spread out.”

That's why I don't take my lottery winnings in a lump sum.
Reply/Quote
I wonder how low we get those 2024 and 2025 cap hits. Under 10 a possibility?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 12:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The Bengals today signed DE Trey Hendrickson to a one-year contract extension through the 2025 season.

https://www.bengals.com/news/trey-hendrickson-extension-2025-season

Wow, wasn't expecting that but absolutely love it! Rock On

Keeping our 1 known top pass rusher for another year is sweet. Smirk
Reply/Quote

They might extend Burrow as well.  Crazy.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 02:16 PM)michaelsean Wrote: They might extend Burrow as well.  Crazy.

Yeah, that would be a weird move too... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 02:08 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That's why I don't take my lottery winnings in a lump sum.

I've never understood the people who take 1/2 of what the won to get it in a lump sum. Yeah, if you invest it, you can make more, but you can also lose it. And if you die, you are able to will the remainder of the earnings to your family. Anything over 50 mil, and I'm taking the full amount on the annuity. 
Reply/Quote
Now can we get Reader a 2 year extension. It would be nice to have both Reader and Hendrickson the next 3 years.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 02:34 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Now can we get Reader a 2 year extension.  It would be nice to have both Reader and Hendrickson the next 3 years.

Yes please... Wink
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:45 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, this is good news.

Hendrickson's numbers for 2024, while signed, were at $17.5 mil contract with only $2.5 dead cap. We could save $15 mil by cutting him.

Likely, this shifts salary to 2025 while giving him more guaranteed money in 2024 & 2025 while freeing the Bengals some cap space this year and 2024.

I know we drafted Murphy and Ossai has made strides, but Reader & Hendrickson are our foundational defensive guys IMHO.

So much for everyone thinking Burrow's deal will get done first. This also may signal a frontload on the Burrow extension. Or a massive signing bonus for Tee/Wilson. I can feel the invisible hand of Katie at work here.

I wonder if we do a similar thing with Reader.

As many have said, I would think this shifts salary to THIS year, to better flex out Joe and Higgins' eventual extensions.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Im still of the opinion we need to trade Jonah before the season. This way you free up 12.6 million that could be used to extend Reader and Awuzie. You can then have Carman take over RT until Collins is ready. Jonah is likely gone after this year anyway so why not get something for him plus use that 12.6 million to keep guys like Reader and Awuzie
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oddly enough (see what I did there?), I read where they call Hendrickson "Blackout Trey" because he does the same stuff during games apparently.

never saw that...

Wonder how much this happens around the league.
Reply/Quote

It is weird given he had 2 years left on his deal.. Was it necessary? 

Besides it's a 3rd contract and into his 30's which was supposedly a no no now....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 01:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:  Huh? What makes you say that?

2 years left on his contract with other potential extensions that could be done with players going into their last year. Drafted a first round DE that theoretically would cover against any potential loss of Trey after the 2024 season, why if given out extensions to players with two year left on their deal, not extend home grown talent in Hubbard (which we can say goodbye to now), breaking their 3rd contract into their 30's philosophy..... 

Not saying I don't like Trey, but the move is odd. But folks know that since I rarely saw Trey as an extension candidate on this board. 

This smells to me like Trey / and or his Agent pushed for an extension. He didn't hold out or make a big deal, but a move like this is player driven.

Can someone tell me when the last time a non QB was extended with 2 years left on their contract. A FA signing?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote