Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hendrickson signs extension
(07-27-2023, 06:57 PM)pally Wrote:

I wonder if we project the market to increase for DEs. If star DEs start getting 20M consistently this could turn into the best value DE deal in the league in 2025
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 04:35 PM)jj22 Wrote: I didn't say it was a negative. I said it was weird. 

I never said it was a bad move.

I think that the misunderstanding started with "weird".  I don't have any stats to back this up, but I feel like people get a negative connotation when they hear or read the word "weird" to describe something.  However, you explained your position, and I'm good with your opinion as I find you to be of good reason to your opinions.  Which is why I simply asked what made you feel that way with your first reaction to the news.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think the idea is pretty simple, teams want to keep their best players for as many years as they can. Hendrickson isnt getting a big 3rd contract well into his 30s. He is getting 1 year added which means he will be with the team the next 3 years. Also by doing this now you use the free cap space you have available now and take less of a hit in the coming years as you have your starting DE for the next 3 years. Im not sure what some of our fans are confused about. We get to keep Hendrickson longer and dont need to worry about the starting right DE position. We save money extending him now rather than wait until later or paying to get someone else to replace Hendrickson after next season
Reply/Quote
As one of the best 4-3 ends in the NFL, which is one of the hardest positions to find, he was underpaid. I wonder if there was behind the scenes grumblings or they just wanted to get ahead of it.

We have an expensive DE group now. And some really good depth to go with it.

I remember there being confusion as to whether Hendrickson was going to be a free agent after this year, may have been some different language in the contract or something? Either way, we have Hendrickson locked up for 3 more years. That is huge. He is an impact player.
Reply/Quote
Fantastic move !
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2023, 02:33 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: As one of the best 4-3 ends in the NFL, which is one of the hardest positions to find, he was underpaid. I wonder if there was behind the scenes grumblings or they just wanted to get ahead of it.

We have an expensive DE group now. And some really good depth to go with it.

I remember there being confusion as to whether Hendrickson was going to be a free agent after this year, may have been some different language in the contract or something? Either way, we have Hendrickson locked up for 3 more years. That is huge. He is an impact player.
According to Trey, he had discussions last year with the FO on getting an extension. He was grateful for allowing him to be with his wife during a hospital stay and workout on his own. Loves the team and loves Cincy.
Reply/Quote
I guess it’s a discount if you project the market to get crazy for DEs but going by his current salary it’s not really a deal.

Trey must’ve always been in the cards

Wonder if Reader is already in the cards too or maybe he was offered this deal first and declined because he wanted to test FA
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2023, 12:47 PM)Housh Wrote: I guess it’s a discount if you project the market to get crazy for DEs but going by his current salary it’s not really a deal.

Trey must’ve always been in the cards

Wonder if Reader is already in the cards too or maybe he was offered this deal first and declined because he wanted to test FA

DJ better be in the cards or we will be having to draft a NT with our 1st pick next draft. I like our guys at DT but they are all a bit 
undersized to play NT besides Tupou and he is also on the last year of his deal.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2023, 11:57 AM)sandwedge Wrote: According to Trey, he had discussions last year with the FO on getting an extension.

Let the truth come out.... This was player driven and odd that he would have discussions after only 1 year into his 4 year deal. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2023, 04:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: Let the truth come out.... This was player driven and odd that he would have discussions after only 1 year into his 4 year deal. 

He would have been 30 years old by the end of his current contract. 
Perhaps he wanted to make sure he finishes his career with the Bengals, or at least plays the bulk of his prime years with them because he believes in them being a legit contender.
Otherwise yea, I do find it odd to drive for just a 1-year add-on.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Good move, in two years, assuming he continues to play at a high level, it would be difficult to re-sign him.
Reply/Quote
<
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2023, 04:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: Let the truth come out.... This was player driven and odd that he would have discussions after only 1 year into his 4 year deal. 

This his Hendrickson's 3rd year on a initial 4 year contract. If Hendrickson had an opt out year on the 4th year of his contract he could have went to management and told them he would like to stay in Cincinnati instead of testing the market next year when he could opt out.  The Bengals get him to sign for an additional year plus remove the opt out effectively keeping him 2 more years instead of being able to opt out after this season ends. Thats one scenario.   

The other is once he got here he liked it in Cincinnati and being with the Bengals organization and wanted a longer term commitment.  The Bengals didnt want to extend only half way through his current contract but added another year so he would be here at least 3 more years.  Helps the Bengals know they have a good pass rusher for the next 3 seasons but doesnt commit them long term to someone well in to their 30s plus it lets Hendrickson know he will be here the next 3 years for these Super Bowl runs.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2023, 07:30 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: <

Can someone explain what Jake Liscow means by the Bengals didn’t do a max proration of the 2023 salary?

You can’t prorate salary, right? Only signing bonus? And the original signing bonus would be prorated over the original years and new signing bonus for extension would be prorated over the years of the new extension?
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2023, 03:52 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Can someone explain what Jake Liscow means by the Bengals didn’t do a max proration of the 2023 salary?

You can’t prorate salary, right? Only signing bonus? And the original signing bonus would be prorated over the original years and new signing bonus for extension would be prorated over the years of the new extension?

He worded that in a weird way. Trey's signing bonus numbers look like this when they're prorated.

Year;
1. 5,166,666
2. 5,166,666
3. 2,666,668

So, you can see they didn't take the 13M and divvy it up 3 equal ways (4,333,333), they kind of 'front loaded it', per se. He just typed that in about the most confusing way he could.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2023, 11:40 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I think the idea is pretty simple, teams want to keep their best players for as many years as they can.  Hendrickson isnt getting a big 3rd contract well into his 30s.  He is getting 1 year added which means he will be with the team the next 3 years.  Also by doing this now you use the free cap space you have available now and take less of a hit in the coming years as you have your starting DE for the next 3 years.  Im not sure what some of our fans are confused about.  We get to keep Hendrickson longer and dont need to worry about the starting right DE position.  We save money extending him now rather than wait until later or paying to get someone else to replace Hendrickson after next season

I was a little shocked by the extension. But it's not just fans it's people that cover the Bengals and the NFL that thought it was weird. I don't have the best understanding of cap #s and ways to stretch the limit but if the Bengals had done this in a way to maximize the cap it wouldn't be weird but they appear to just have done it as a straight extension is my understanding. But with guys on they're last year including Reader is quietly the heart of this defense it feels a little off the mark to me. I just want to see the Bengals FO take the next step of pushing the envelope on the cap because we are in the superbowl window. The other extensions that will be coming should clear up the picture hopefully.
Reply/Quote