Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here We Are.
Whelp, here we are, the 3rd preseason game is over, and from here on out its just coastin onto the regular season. Here are the thoughts I'm having after the most recent outing and I'm interested to hear what you guys think as well.

Offensively, the team looked decent. I couldn't help but desire a bit more, but overall the run schemes and effectiveness of those plays were very good. As long as Andy is healthy, I'm fairly certain he will find a way to make things work. Without Eifert, there is definitely a drop off. Andy had some timing issues with different receivers from what I could see, and it should be something that gets better as the season gets going. I'm not sure if Zampese is letting Dalton run the show, or calling the plays himself, but overall I was happy with the selection. It's hard to judge them off of this game alone though, because the Jags defense looked lost on a few occasions (See Gio TD). Nobody outside of AJ made any case for being the second man in the show tonight, so we will see what happens week 1.

Defensively we looked really good imo. The Jags have a fairly high powered offense, and im not sure, but they may have been holding some things back. They didn't seem to throw down the field much, but maybe we covered well. Even with Pacman out, the defensive line is SO good, that offenses still struggle. Thank goodness, because our depth at corner is lacking, but atleast the LBs are looking good. Mauluga, the unsung hero making a nice forced fumble tonight.

Other thoughts,

- Vigil struggled, needs some more time on the bench.
- Chykie Brown... get this guy off the roster... but crap we might not be able to.
- Peerman, man that tackle was nasty, guy straight up broke his arm UFC style.
- Erickson, did enough to make the roster, another decent showing.
- Hope Uzomah gets better quickly, gonna need him.
- Boyd, didn't get looks? or just didn't get open?
- Andy, being scary on the run on the sidelines, damnit bro!
Reply/Quote
He converted at least 1 4th down boyd that is peerman broke his elbow should be back aroumd halfway mRk of season weeks 8-10 uzumah just had timing issues i think but iverall i came out of this game with way more confidence of our offense without aj green we were up 21-3 on their first teamers
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 12:06 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Whelp, here we are, the 3rd preseason game is over, and from here on out its just coastin onto the regular season. Here are the thoughts I'm having after the most recent outing and I'm interested to hear what you guys think as well.

Offensively, the team looked decent. I couldn't help but desire a bit more, but overall the run schemes and effectiveness of those plays were very good. As long as Andy is healthy, I'm fairly certain he will find a way to make things work. Without Eifert, there is definitely a drop off. Andy had some timing issues with different receivers from what I could see, and it should be something that gets better as the season gets going. I'm not sure if Zampese is letting Dalton run the show, or calling the plays himself, but overall I was happy with the selection. It's hard to judge them off of this game alone though, because the Jags defense looked lost on a few occasions (See Gio TD). Nobody outside of AJ made any case for being the second man in the show tonight, so we will see what happens week 1.

Defensively we looked really good imo. The Jags have a fairly high powered offense, and im not sure, but they may have been holding some things back. They didn't seem to throw down the field much, but maybe we covered well. Even with Pacman out, the defensive line is SO good, that offenses still struggle. Thank goodness, because our depth at corner is lacking, but atleast the LBs are looking good. Mauluga, the unsung hero making a nice forced fumble tonight.

Other thoughts,

- Chykie Brown... get this guy off the roster... but crap we might not be able to.

Huh?

Had one catcheable pass, caught it and then got some YAC while defending himself from defenders.

And did you see his blocking? He completely sealed off Odrick (who is far from bad) and this is a guy who wasn't upposed to be a blocker

Ceej is the poo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 12:34 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Huh?

Had one catcheable pass, caught it and then got some YAC while defending himself from defenders.

And did you see his blocking? He completely sealed off Odrick (who is far from bad) and this is a guy who wasn't upposed to be a blocker

Ceej is the poo.

He also got himself open on a corner route in the end zone that was a pitch and catch if not for pressure. 
Reply/Quote
Greencorn , I agree with your entire post.
Was excited about Vigil but he was bad tonight.
Think Core and Erickson make the 53. Tate will be the sixth WR.
Liked the play of the DB, Lewis. Coaches have said he was coming on and it looks like it.
Worried about backups on the oline. They didn't look very good.
Uzomah must have been far behind the Tyler's, he's still not looking very good.
Hewitt will help with Luc getting a shot at FB.
I can't see Peerman making it back this year. If someone step up on Special Teams, his time as a Bengal may be over.
Reply/Quote
Oh I wasn't saying Uzomah was looking overly bad, just emphasizing that the TE position is extremely important in this offense, he needs to be outstanding lol.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 12:37 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: He also got himself open on a corner route in the end zone that was a pitch and catch if not for pressure. 
Indeed. Looked like either something was held up or Andy rushed the throw (yes, due to pressure), because that was indeed a beauty play if executed.

(08-29-2016, 12:45 AM)James Brooks Wrote: Uzomah must have been far behind the Tyler's, he's still not looking very good.

He's looked better than Kroft did at any point last year, not to mention his blocking is actually miles ahead of what was advertised.

Please elaborate; how was he so bad tonight?
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 12:49 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Oh I wasn't saying Uzomah was looking overly bad, just emphasizing that the TE position is extremely important in this offense, he needs to be outstanding lol.

That's better Wink
Reply/Quote
It appeared to me that he was Very slow to react in blocking and route running, but I'm not a coach.I didn't care for Kroft last year but the coaches thought he was good enough to replace Eifert when needed. Uzomah is considered a third TE so maybe I'm being overly critical. Hope Eifert is back, soon!
Reply/Quote
It was a Vanilla pre-season game.

I was happy with the players that mattered. The first team O and D.

Not going to be as hard on the backups. Team kept it vanilla and boring while Jacksonville was dialing up blitz concepts and stunts with their 3rd and 4th stringers.
Kinda reminiscent of the Tampa game last pre-season where you could tell one team regardless of the futility really REALLY wanted the win.

Whereas the bus to the airport couldn't leave fast enough for the Bengals after the first 4 series.
Reply/Quote
chykie had two pass breakups thought he played well as with the rest of the secondary.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Just rewatched the second half. Sick

On the brighter side...

Derron Smith is at least our 3rd safety. Had they not inked Shawn Williams to that new deal, I'm not sure that Smith wouldn't be beating down the door for a starting role.

Alex Erickson played well again tonight. Had a nice end around, plus the TD and nice kick return.

Speaking of Kick returns, Tony McRae had a 30 yarder tonight. He's my underdog to make the team (PS, probably).

I can't fault Tra Carson or Bronson Hill for not looking good tonight. That scrub oline was awful. It's not fair to judge Wenning or Licata either.

Deshawn Williams, Ryan Brown, and David Dean continue to look good on the Dline. Williams was all over the field tonight making plays. Brown and Dean each had TFLs. Brown's was on a big 3rd or 4th down. He did the same against the Vikings. I think they both deserve at least a spot on the PS.

Our starters all looked great.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 12:06 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Whelp, here we are, the 3rd preseason game is over, and from here on out its just coastin onto the regular season. Here are the thoughts I'm having after the most recent outing and I'm interested to hear what you guys think as well.

Other thoughts,

Agree with most of your assessments regarding offense and defense, and I will add that special teams units look very good, but had a few missed tackles this evening.  

I'm a little surprised to see you say that about Chykie Brown, though.  I thought he got a raw deal on the PI call (Herms altered his route and created a bit of contact because he was right with him, but the ball wasn't catchable) and he defened something like three passes the rest of the night.  And, if memory serves, two of them were against Bortles and Jax starters.  When was the last time you saw one of our CBs bat down three passes in a single game?  

I think with some more coaching, this kid could prove to be a steal.  It's like Collinsworth said: (paraphrasing) "He just finds a way to make plays on the ball".  All three of his batted passes went in the air and could have been INTs if they bounced differently or there was a safety nearby.  

Vigil's strength is clearly in coverage (space) and not at the point of attack.  I think he will be an asset in nickel and will likely add the strength and size to hold up better at the point of attack over the next few seasons.  He is great in coverage, though.  And some of the issues he is facing was the lack of our top talent on the defensive line that would help keep those linemen off of him.  I remember Ray Lewis (NOT saying Vigil is Ray Lewis) complaining about one season where they didn't have enough beef on the front line to "keep him clean and let him make plays".

I thought Uzomah got great separation on his target against the Jax #1s but Andy overthrew him.  It will take more reps to get their timing down, but I still like this guy's athleticism.  
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 04:18 AM)Sha Wrote: I can't fault Tra Carson or Bronson Hill for not looking good tonight. That scrub oline was awful. It's not fair to judge Wenning or Licata either.

Yes and yes.  
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 08:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agree with most of your assessments regarding offense and defense, and I will add that special teams units look very good, but had a few missed tackles this evening.  

I'm a little surprised to see you say that about Chykie Brown, though.  I thought he got a raw deal on the PI call (Herms altered his route and created a bit of contact because he was right with him, but the ball wasn't catchable) and he defened something like three passes the rest of the night.  And, if memory serves, two of them were against Bortles and Jax starters.  When was the last time you saw one of our CBs bat down three passes in a single game?  

I think with some more coaching, this kid could prove to be a steal.  It's like Collinsworth said: (paraphrasing) "He just finds a way to make plays on the ball".  All three of his batted passes went in the air and could have been INTs if they bounced differently or there was a safety nearby.  

Vigil's strength is clearly in coverage (space) and not at the point of attack.  I think he will be an asset in nickel and will likely add the strength and size to hold up better at the point of attack over the next few seasons.  He is great in coverage, though.  And some of the issues he is facing was the lack of our top talent on the defensive line that would help keep those linemen off of him.  I remember Ray Lewis (NOT saying Vigil is Ray Lewis) complaining about one season where they didn't have enough beef on the front line to "keep him clean and let him make plays".

I thought Uzomah got great separation on his target against the Jax #1s but Andy overthrew him.  It will take more reps to get their timing down, but I still like this guy's athleticism.  

I might have to go rewatch the game, and ya the PI call was bad, Bortles way overthrew the ball. I must have been treating him like how some people treat Kirkpatrick around here... I saw a lot of him so he must stink Ninja

Speaking of Kirkpatrick, he had a nice breakup in the endzone there... thought he had another solid outing WITH Adam not out there too.
Reply/Quote
#1 Starting OL looked great.  Bodine looked athletic on some of those blocks.  

#2 Zampese looks pretty darn good as a  playcaller.

#3 We don't have any depth right now at all at DE.  If we lose Dunlap or M. Johnson to injury we will be in trouble.

#4 I really like Derron Smith a lot.  I would not be surprised to see him push S. Williams for playing time.  We might even see S. Williams drop down into Nickel LB  (especially on 3rd downs) to get all 3 safeties (Iloka, Williams, and Smith in the game).  Will be hard to keep D.Smith off the field especially in clear passing situations.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 04:18 AM)Shady Wrote: Just rewatched the second half.  Sick

On the brighter side...

Derron Smith is at least our 3rd safety. Had they not inked Shawn Williams to that new deal, I'm not sure that Smith wouldn't be beating down the door for a starting role.

Alex Erickson played well again tonight. Had a nice end around, plus the TD and nice kick return.

Speaking of Kick returns, Tony McRae had a 30 yarder tonight. He's my underdog to make the team (PS, probably).

I can't fault Tra Carson or Bronson Hill for not looking good tonight. That scrub oline was awful. It's not fair to judge Wenning or Licata either.

Deshawn Williams, Ryan Brown, and David Dean continue to look good on the Dline. Williams was all over the field tonight making plays. Brown and Dean each had TFLs. Brown's was on a big 3rd or 4th down. He did the same against the Vikings. I think they both deserve at least a spot on the PS.

Really liking Derons play as well. 

Agree with hard to judge second team too. Looked like Marvin just wanted to get out of there after awhile. 

How about Clarke getting back to bat down that pass ? More athletic than thought. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
We played Jacksonville last night and I saw what I was hoping to see. This team should be able to be in control and handle an up and coming team like the Jags. Was a little worried by the injuries, especially Ceds', but I'm ready for the 9/11/16! There have been some good flashes from roster hopefuls, (Erickson, Carson) and I'm just hoping the injury bug has run its course this year.

WHO DEY!!!
Tiger
Reply/Quote

Other thoughts,

The team as a whole looks better than last year IMO.

Andy, AJ, Geno, Dunlap, MJ, Maualuga, Rey, Kirkpatrick, Shawn all look great right now. Andy just needs to get the
chemistry down with his new weapons and we should be fine Offensively. The run game looks very good and both Hill
and Gio seem to be playing their best ever.

Lafell made one nice play last night but this is still my only concern. Don't know if Boyd and Core can play like Vets
right off the bat and Lafell has not had much time with Andy in game situations.

Love that Clarke and Hardison have showed up for depth behind our starters at End.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 02:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The team as a whole looks better than last year IMO.

Andy, AJ, Geno, Dunlap, MJ, Maualuga, Rey, Kirkpatrick, Shawn all look great right now. Andy just needs to get the
chemistry down with his new weapons and we should be fine Offensively. The run game looks very good and both Hill
and Gio seem to be playing their best ever.

Lafell made one nice play last night but this is still my only concern. Don't know if Boyd and Core can play like Vets
right off the bat and Lafell has not had much time with Andy in game situations.

Love that Clarke and Hardison have showed up for depth behind our starters at End.

Some people have been down on Clarke but I've really liked what I've seen from him this preseason. He is a BIG man, and damn, did you see him fly down the field and get his hands on that pass? Didn't expect that out of the big guy. I think he is on the rise.
Reply/Quote