Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's How Much Last Night's Performance Concerns Me
Reply/Quote
Pretty much. But it has been comical watching the masses try to pull some significant meaning out of it today. Typically, the usual suspects used it to try and rehash their tired narratives about the team.

Last night was actually a success.....another useless preseason game done with no significant injury.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 05:39 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: Pretty much.  But it has been comical watching the masses try to pull some significant meaning out of it today.  Typically, the usual suspects used it to try and rehash their tired narratives about the team.

Last night was actually a success.....another useless preseason game done with no significant injury.

When did it become okay to hand over your lunch money without a fight?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 05:47 PM)McC Wrote: When did it become okay to hand over your lunch money without a fight?

It's ok when you bring play money.  Bengals did nothing last night because, frankly, they didn't have to.

Think about it.....only a few roster spots are up for grabs at the back end of the roster.  Starters are veteran players who understand what it takes to be ready for Oakland, when it actually means something.  What is the point in going out there and putting yourself at risk in a preseason game?  

I liken the Bengals now to the Colts of a few years ago.  Every year they would stink up the preseason, every year there would be stories, message board posts, TV analysts claiming their demise in eminent.  Never happened.  Why?  Because preseason games are completely useless for an established team.  

And, BTW, I would have posted the same thing last week after a "good" showing against New York.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 05:47 PM)McC Wrote: When did it become okay to hand over your lunch money without a fight?

I would say a better analogy would be we gave our lunch money to a homeless guy down the street, because we didn't need it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 05:53 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I would say a better analogy would be we gave our lunch money to a homeless guy down the street, because we didn't need it.

That homeless dude probably should have worked for his money.  The Bengals provide for vagrancy...
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 05:53 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: It's ok when you bring play money.  Bengals did nothing last night because, frankly, they didn't have to.

Think about it.....only a few roster spots are up for grabs at the back end of the roster.  Starters are veteran players who understand what it takes to be ready for Oakland, when it actually means something.  What is the point in going out there and putting yourself at risk in a preseason game?  

I liken the Bengals now to the Colts of a few years ago.  Every year they would stink up the preseason, every year there would be stories, message board posts, TV analysts claiming their demise in eminent.  Never happened.  Why?  Because preseason games are completely useless for an established team.  

And, BTW, I would have posted the same thing last week after a "good" showing against New York.

Any time you walk out onto the field, something is at stake.  Being stomped on is always a bad thing.

Andy's psyche is in a bad place, believe me.  You might not see it now, but I do.  It's in his eyes.  The pressure he feels is enormous and it just might be the thing that breaks him.  I hope I'm wrong.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 05:58 PM)McC Wrote: Any time you walk out onto the field, something is at stake.  Being stomped on is always a bad thing.

Andy's psyche is in a bad place, believe me.  You might not see it now, but I do.  It's in his eyes.  The pressure he feels is enormous and it just might be the thing that breaks him.  I hope I'm wrong.

No, there was literally nothing at stake last night except to the 5-10 back of the rosters players fighting to make the team.

Was his psyche in a bad spot after the Giant game?  I get confused because I don't see or read these things when he plays well.  Funny how that happens.

Alas, no need to hope.  I can confirm you're wrong.  
Reply/Quote

Must be institutionally ingrained.  Tax payers hand it to MB, his daughter hands it to a 3rd rate QB, QB drops back to play patty cake and spills it all over, WITH A SMILE.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 06:02 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: No, there was literally nothing at stake last night except to the 5-10 back of the rosters players fighting to make the team.

Was his psyche in a bad spot after the Giant game?  I get confused because I don't see or read these things when he plays well.  Funny how that happens.

When he plays well, of course his psyche is in a good place.  Did you really just ask that?

I'm talking about how quickly it can fall apart if a little bad happens.  And, so often, it starts with him and it grows and grows and takes him to a really shattered place.

The whole team sukked but no one else has coaches talking about we're expecting leadership from him.  No one else has the whole world saying the same thing about him.  Forty wins?  Great.  Four straight playoffs?  Also great.
But the legacy is made in the playoffs.

Everybody else has a chimp on their backs.  Andy has King Kong.

And look at what coaches have done.  Get rid of it quick.  No, extend plays.  Be a leader.  Do this, now do this.  It can crush a guy.  Especially a mild mannered good guy.  They've done everything but let him be him and find the best way to use that and let the chips fall where they may.

We'll see what happens the next time a thing or two go wrong.  It's not just an Andy thing.  It's a Bengal thing.  They have raised letting things go south to an art form.  It's their disease.  It's their Achilles Heel.  And the brightest light is pointed right at 14.  That's a lot to stand up to.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 06:02 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: No, there was literally nothing at stake last night except to the 5-10 back of the rosters players fighting to make the team.

If we were filling the last spots, why did our starters play so long?

Were we trying to judge their ability to tackle by turning it over repeatedly?

Were we practicing situational football with all the penalties?

The sky isn't falling because of one awful preseason game, but don't blow sunshine up my ass by pretending that it wasn't an awful preseason game.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 05:58 PM)McC Wrote: Any time you walk out onto the field, something is at stake.  Being stomped on is always a bad thing.

Call me crazy, but I love the look of being ticked off on AD last night. I am glad he is facing adversity in the pre-season versus waiting to the post season ti implode.

As much as I hated watching us getting our butts handed to us, the entire team got to eat a whole bunch of humble pie in a pre-season game which to my knowledge has not happened with our 1st team defense and offense in one game in a very long time.

I look for them all to rebound and prove a point versus the Bears.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 06:26 PM)Ryuko Wrote: If we were filling the last spots, why did our starters play so long?

Marvin was counting snaps. Seemed like they were out there so long because well... they kept going 3 and out haha. Their snap count was low for how far in the game they were due to their inability to move the ball.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 05:39 PM)Who Dey Time Wrote: Pretty much.  But it has been comical watching the masses try to pull some significant meaning out of it today.  Typically, the usual suspects used it to try and rehash their tired narratives about the team.

Funny how a half dozen, at least, NFL analysts have said there's no excuse for a team as talented as Cincinnati. That's supposed to be gearing up for another playoff run to give such a lame, uninspired performance.

It's not that we got beat, it's that we looked worse than hammered dog doo doing it ! With the same old problems that always crop up anytime the lights are on.

Maybe you can't see a pattern that we're still not past ?
Reply/Quote
Meh. You're nuts if it doesn't concern you a bit when the team looks that inept against the friggin' Bucs. People may be going overboard with the panicking, but there is certainly enough reason to at least discuss that performance and call it what it is: pathetic.

The Bengals in no way looked like a team that will get the chance to be annihilated in a 5th straight playoff game.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 08:04 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Meh. You're nuts if it doesn't concern you a bit when the team looks that inept against the friggin' Bucs.  People may be going overboard with the panicking, but there is certainly enough reason to at least discuss that performance and call it what it is: pathetic.

The Bengals in no way looked like a team that will get the chance to be annihilated in a 5th straight playoff game.

Exactly Johnny!!!
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 08:04 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: The Bengals in no way looked like a team that will get the chance to be annihilated in a 5th straight playoff game.

To be fair, getting annihilated in a 5th straight playoff game probably wont root out the stem(s) of the current problem.  QB / HC depending on who you talk to.  Personally, I'd want my employees to at least show some effort / competency in pre-season, but this is not an organization which relies on performance reviews.  The standard deviation line there would confuse HR with how far outside the family pool it falls. 

Reply/Quote
I have a 2007 Camp tee that reads: "Who Wants It More?"

Last night, Tampa did. They had the welcome carpet rolled out for Winston. Doug Martin wants it bad, too, and he was running for his life. Lovie had his boys ball-hawking to make the squad. The Bengals could not match the intensity, didn't even try. They felt the primetime lights, sweated the savage Florida humidity, and they endured a hungry young team bent on making a preseason statement.

Recipe for an ambush. Say what you will about it, but they accomplished the goal that emerged from their futility: get away with minimal injuries. Wounded pride doesn't count.
Reply/Quote

agreed, you could hear in his voice too at the half.
Reply/Quote
There is no excuse for a 5th yr starting qb to play that bad. No matter what their goals were in this preseason game. Without looking at google, i would bet dalton owns the top 4 worst games in the last 5 yrs during reg season, preseason and post season, statistically speaking.
Reply/Quote