Poll: Will Terrell "Night Train" Watson make the squad?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heretic? Terrell Watson (RB) will make the Bengals and contribute a lot one day!
Terrell Watson, RB

Fact one: Rex Burkhead was lost in the game. Cedric Peerman (the Running Reverend, as Hobspin would say) also had a knee injury of some sort. Looked gruesome.

Fact two: Had the most yards from scrimmage per game of any player in college football history in his age 20 and 21 seasons, besting LaDainian Tomlinson.

Fact three: Went to Azusa Pacific College, an evangelical Christian school near L.A. (same school as Christian Okoye, The Nigerian Nightmare, whose records he shattered). This will obviate the need for the Running Reverend as the team "resident good guy"/subject of Hobson spin pieces (some say Peerman paid Hobson to continue writing pieces to make him stay relevant). Hobson is now brainstorming headlines such as "Elementary, my dear Watson" for Terrell's first 100 yard game.

Fact four: Has the nickname the "Night Train." Who else has the nickname "Night Train"? None other than Hall of Fame defensive back Dick "Night Train" Lane. Terrell Watson future HOF 20?? confirmed.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if this prediction comes true. I really don't understand why he went undrafted despite going to such a small school. If you're a 240 lb RB with very solid 4.58 speed (to put it in perspective, Ameer Abdullah, whose quickness was just compared to Barry Sanders', ran a 4.60).  He looked very quick in busting a long run in the first preseason game, but maybe he killed a man or has refused to pass block. Every year there's a guy who absolutely no one expects to make the Bengals' roster who does (Ryan Hewitt, Colin Cochart, etc.)

Off-topic: Does anyone remember the user Heretic on the old Bengals message board? (R.I.P., why the heck must the Bengals try to half-assed emulate other teams OFF the field as well?) That was my old handle. Damn, those message boards were so unique, so good...so many memories. I was young and stirred up a lot of trouble via trolling. There was even a movement called the Red Rep Rampage (or revival, can't remember) (RRR) to bring my "rep points" into the lowest in board history after I made a thread celebrating finally getting some positive rep. When I saw someone mention this in the bengals.com board's waning hours, it damn near brought a tear to my eye. I may have trolled but it was fun for the whole family, hopefully. I plan no such shenanigans here, but I just wanted to say good job righting the Bengals' blunder to whoever made this great board.
Reply/Quote
Ok
Reply/Quote
He might shine somewhere but we don't have the room for him on our roster.

Fact 1 Hill is a beast

Fact 2 Gios versatility in both the run and pass game locks him in not to mention he has a lot of talent

Fact 3 If Burkheads continues to grow in the slot as well as an emergency back he'll be here

Fact 4 Peerman is key to special teams
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 04:17 AM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: Terrell Watson, RB

Fact one: Rex Burkhead was lost in the game. Cedric Peerman (the Running Reverend, as Hobspin would say) also had a knee injury of some sort. Looked gruesome.

Fact two: Had the most yards from scrimmage per game of any player in college football history in his age 20 and 21 seasons, besting LaDainian Tomlinson.

Fact three: Went to Azusa Pacific College, an evangelical Christian school near L.A. (same school as Christian Okoye, The Nigerian Nightmare, whose records he shattered). This will obviate the need for the Running Reverend as the team "resident good guy"/subject of Hobson spin pieces (some say Peerman paid Hobson to continue writing pieces to make him stay relevant). Hobson is now brainstorming headlines such as "Elementary, my dear Watson" for Terrell's first 100 yard game.

Fact four: Has the nickname the "Night Train." Who else has the nickname "Night Train"? None other than Hall of Fame defensive back Dick "Night Train" Lane. Terrell Watson future HOF 20?? confirmed.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if this prediction comes true. I really don't understand why he went undrafted despite going to such a small school. If you're a 240 lb RB with very solid 4.58 speed (to put it in perspective, Ameer Abdullah, whose quickness was just compared to Barry Sanders', ran a 4.60).  He looked very quick in busting a long run in the first preseason game, but maybe he killed a man or has refused to pass block. Every year there's a guy who absolutely no one expects to make the Bengals' roster who does (Ryan Hewitt, Colin Cochart, etc.)

Off-topic: Does anyone remember the user Heretic on the old Bengals message board? (R.I.P., why the heck must the Bengals try to half-assed emulate other teams OFF the field as well?) That was my old handle. Damn, those message boards were so unique, so good...so many memories. I was young and stirred up a lot of trouble via trolling. There was even a movement called the Red Rep Rampage (or revival, can't remember) (RRR) to bring my "rep points" into the lowest in board history after I made a thread celebrating finally getting some positive rep. When I saw someone mention this in the bengals.com board's waning hours, it damn near brought a tear to my eye. I may have trolled but it was fun for the whole family, hopefully. I plan no such shenanigans here, but I just wanted to say good job righting the Bengals' blunder to whoever made this great board.

I am not sure he makes the Bengals because our RB roster is quite full of playmakers.  But even if he ends up on the practice squad or gets cut, there are some teams out there who need RBs who might pick him up. Welcome and congrats on first post.
Reply/Quote
Lol

PnR awaits
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
If making the practice squad equates to "making the team", then yes.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like a good story as much as the next person, but there's no way we're carrying 5 guys at RB this season. Watson could make the PS, but that's as far as it goes this year. We have too many tough cuts at other positions. Troy Hill is pushing for a spot at CB, and Shawn Williams at DT. I agree that Watson looked good against the Giants, and I think I'd prefer him over Wilder. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed that he'll make it to the PS.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2015, 09:29 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Lol

PnR awaits

Come again?

Also, does anyone know why this board trigger your antivirus for everything you do on it? Bengaholic = 1337 haxor?

Good to see Shady here, one of the top-notch posters from the "old" boards.
Reply/Quote
Good player, just hope we put him on the PS.

Too many good players in front of him at the RB position.

Which is a great thing to have.
Reply/Quote
I have no problem with him replacing Peerman on the team. Every year Peerman looks great in pre-season....but thats about it. I'm sure if given the chance, Watson could pick up Peerman's slack on ST too.
Reply/Quote
If Hill were to go down who is our bruiser? Burkhead hasn't played much and he always seems to get dinged up. Gio isn't a bellcow. And Peerman has peaked.

Small sample size but Watson looked very nice. After putting up crazy numbers in college and then that performance in the first preseason game he doesn't seem like he is out of his league. If he keeps it up I will be mad if we let him get off the 53.

We have Darqueze and Shaw to be gunners on special teams. If Peerman had return skills I wouldn't mind keeping him. But he doesn't and IMO its time to move on. We kept Reggie Kelly too long because he was the locker room preacher. We kept Geathers too long because he was the locker room preacher. Now we are keeping Peerman too long because he is the locker room preacher. Doing that never won us anything. We have leaders. And we have plenty of guys who can make tackles on special teams.

We need Watson or Wilder on the roster if we want a competent big back to fall back on for emergency purposes if we plan on riding Hill hard.
Reply/Quote
Beaker Wrote:I have no problem with him replacing Peerman on the team. Every year Peerman looks great in pre-season....but thats about it. I'm sure if given the chance, Watson could pick up Peerman's slack on ST too.

(08-17-2015, 11:54 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: If Hill were to go down who is our bruiser? Burkhead hasn't played much and he always seems to get dinged up. Gio isn't a bellcow. And Peerman has peaked.

Small sample size but Watson looked very nice. After putting up crazy numbers in college and then that performance in the first preseason game he doesn't seem like he is out of his league. If he keeps it up I will be mad if we let him get off the 53.

We have Darqueze and Shaw to be gunners on special teams. If Peerman had return skills I wouldn't mind keeping him. But he doesn't and IMO its time to move on. We kept Reggie Kelly too long because he was the locker room preacher. We kept Geathers too long because he was the locker room preacher. Now we are keeping Peerman too long because he is the locker room preacher. Doing that never won us anything. We have leaders. And we have plenty of guys who can make tackles on special teams.

We need Watson or Wilder on the roster if we want a competent big back to fall back on for emergency purposes if we plan on riding Hill hard.

Great points. I think people are really sleeping on him. If he puts up a couple more performances like he did against the G-Men, and Cedric Peerman continues to not do much of anything, I believe he absolutely deserves to make the roster. Unless, like I said, he's the Tebow of running backs, showing nothing in practice or other facets of being an RB but stepping it up in random games. Peerman, we thank you for your service, but we should stop giving "good guy loyalty award" scholarships and keep talent that actually flashes, has a chance to be a viable backup, and is younger/cheaper to boot. You've been on scholarship too long and it's time to get someone who can actually tote the rock a little, if only to spell Hill a little as the "bell cow" in games that aren't close. We're deep enough that we have talented first rounders who primarily do special teams duty. 
Reply/Quote
Seems like every year a few fans go crazy over some 4th or 5th string RB.
Reply/Quote
Watson has to show a lot more to get a spot on the 53. Peerman is already a good ST player, and he has the ability to catch passes. People don't think Peerman is valuable because he hasn't played much in the regular season, but just look who's in front of him.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 08:54 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Watson has to show a lot more to get a spot on the 53. Peerman is already a good ST player, and he has the ability to catch passes. People don't think Peerman is valuable because he hasn't played much in the regular season, but just look who's in front of him.

What if Hill went down? (Zeus forbid) Peerman has gotten a few regular season opportunities in seasons past and well...let's just say I don't remember him looking like he could be a competent fill-in at all. In the past two seasons, he's had 23 carries to the tune of 2.6 yards a pop and is probably pretty useless in the passing game. A fine team preacher, to be sure, but the Night Train is coming for his spot.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 11:14 AM)GarbageDisposal Wrote: What if Hill went down? (Zeus forbid) Peerman has gotten a few regular season opportunities in seasons past and well...let's just say I don't remember him looking like he could be a competent fill-in at all. In the past two seasons, he's had 23 carries to the tune of 2.6 yards a pop and is probably pretty useless in the passing game. A fine team preacher, to be sure, but the Night Train is coming for his spot.

We still have Gio, and Burkhead. Peerman has had a few splash plays last year with him catching the ball. Peerman has shown that he's useful in ST. What has Watson shown? That he's good against 2s and 3s?
Reply/Quote
Watson may well make the PS but that's it this season.
Reply/Quote
Only way he makes the 53 man roster is if he kills it on special teams.

I like Peerman, but someday he will be replaced by a younger cheaper player.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Only way he makes the 53 man roster is if he kills it on special teams.

I like Peerman, but someday he will be replaced by a younger cheaper player.

I think you're right about killing it on teams.  And Peerman has performed pretty well when having to take snaps at RB in games.

But I think this guy Watson could be special (we always think that about guys in TC I know).   A 240 lb. back who can scamper would be good insurance if Hill goes down.  And let's face it we had two of 4 backs go down in a pre-season game, and Gio wasn't exactly lighting it up - and could not replicate Hill's brand of running.

My thinking is that we have a lot of good ST guys, including up and comers like Shaw.  I'd rather have a guy who can approximate what Hill does if he gets hurt (and again, he got hurt in the playoff game) than a super STs ace.

I'm pretty sure the Bengals will think - maybe correctly - that the teams aspect is primary. 

In any event I hope he gets a shot with the ones to see what he's got.  Then they can at least make an informed decision.  I mean, we really don't want to see Hill out there much anyway...
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 12:33 PM)3wt Wrote: I think you're right about killing it on teams.  And Peerman has performed pretty well when having to take snaps at RB in games.

But I think this guy Watson could be special (we always think that about guys in TC I know).   A 240 lb. back who can scamper would be good insurance if Hill goes down.  And let's face it we had two of 4 backs go down in a pre-season game, and Gio wasn't exactly lighting it up - and could not replicate Hill's brand of running.

My thinking is that we have a lot of good ST guys, including up and comers like Shaw.  I'd rather have a guy who can approximate what Hill does if he gets hurt (and again, he got hurt in the playoff game) than a super STs ace.

I'm pretty sure the Bengals will think - maybe correctly - that the teams aspect is primary. 

In any event I hope he gets a shot with the ones to see what he's got.  Then they can at least make an informed decision.  I mean, we really don't want to see Hill out there much anyway...

Well, kind of hard to disagree with anything you say here 3wt.
Reply/Quote