Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Hey Zac pay attention to Kliff Kingsbury
(06-08-2022, 12:53 AM)Stewy Wrote: big wrench in your equation.  Watson had his best season as a pro (2020) AFTER Hopkins was traded.  Houstons record was awful, but Watson was lights out with Will Fuller as his #1

Watson got quite a bit of garbage yards in the 4th quarter with team trailing.
(06-08-2022, 12:53 AM)Stewy Wrote: big wrench in your equation.  Watson had his best season as a pro (2020) AFTER Hopkins was traded.  Houstons record was awful, but Watson was lights out with Will Fuller as his #1

Are you talking about serial sexual assaulter Deshaun Watson who was accused of sexual assault by over 20 women claiming he sexually assaulted them?  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
(06-08-2022, 10:11 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Watson got quite a bit of garbage yards in the 4th quarter with team trailing.

Actually, this is not even close to true.  I have gone through it game by game because I had the same argument at one point and then proved myself wrong, but it is only true for 2-3 games.  They lost A LOT of games on the last possession or in the 4th quarter.  The defense was so bad that at the end of the season JJ Watt actually pulled Watson aside and apologized to him on behalf of the defense for wasting his career year.

Since I am sure you won't look it up, I'll help you out.  I am only going to discuss details of the games where they lost, were losing by a large amount going into the 4th and therefore stats could be considered garbage time.

Overall Watson had 4823 yrds - 70% - 33TD - 7INT

Week 1 - 20-34 - 253 - 63 - 84.5 - 1 - 1 : vs KC - TX were behind by 24 at the start of the 4th, but as you can see DW's stats were not good, as a matter of fact this was his worst game of the year - his passing TD was in the 4th however so we'll call that garbage
Week 2 - 16-33 - vs BLT - Tx down 23-10 at the start of the 4th; again weak stats and they added two field goals; no TDs
Week 3 - 21-28 - vs. PIT; Tx leading going into the 4th, so no garbage time stats here
Week 4 - 23-31 - vs MIN; Tx had the lead in the 3rd and down by 8 at the start of the 4th - no garbage time stats
Week 5 - 30-14 - beat Jax ; no garbage stats
Week 6 - 36-42 - vs TEN ; Tx up in 4th till Ten tied it with 4sec remaining in the 4th and won in OT; no garbage stats
Week 7 - 20-35 - vs GB ; Tx down by 21 going into the 4th; Watson got one TD in the 4th with 1:32 left - definitely a single garbage TD here
Week 8 - 27-25 - vs Jax; Tx won by 2; no garbage stats as the Texans didn't score in the 4th and almost blew it
Week 9 - 7-10 - vs CLE; Tx down by 3 going into the 4th; scored with 4:59 left with plenty of time to get the ball back; CLE ran out the clock because the TX defense couldn't stop them; no garbage stats
Week 10 - 27-20 - vs. NE; Tx had a 7 pt lead going into the 4th, added a FG; no garbage stats
Week 11 - 41-25 - vs DET; Tx up 26-17 going into the 4th; Tx scored quickly twice to put the game away with 10min left; DET scored once more for the final score and DW didn't throw a pass after 10:07 to play
Week 12 - 20-26 - vs IND; Tex down by 4 going into 4th; DW had 0 TD and 1 INT, though he had 341 yards; it was his second worst game of the year and clearly not garbage stats as they were in the game till the end
Week 13 - 7-36 - vs CHI; Tx down 33-7 going into the 4th; while DW was left in the game in the 4th for some dumb reason, he only accrued 21 of his 219 yards in the 4th because he got sacked twice; so they were fishing for garbage and didn't find any
Week 14 - 20-27 - vs IND; Tx down 4 going into the 4th; tied it 20-20 with 7:25 left; Colts scored game winner with 1:47 on the clock; not garbage time
Week 15 - 31-37 - vs CIN; tied 24-24 at the start of the 4th; Tex went up; and the Bengals scored 10 points in the last 2 minutes for the win; Def blew it again; no garbage time
Week 16 - 38-41 - vs TEN; Ten up by 3 going into 4th; Tex ties it with 18 secs left; Ten kicks the game winner as time expired.

Except for week 1 & 7, DW had little to no 4th qrtr garbage time stats all year (2 passing TDs total).  The Texans were either in games (mostly) and the def blew it or they just didn't score in the 4th.  Texans were within a score, ahead or tied going into the 4th in EIGHT of their losses with four blown 4th qrtr leads.  In the end DW only threw TWO TDs in blow out garbage time losses.  So the narrative that he got "quite a bit" of his stats at the end of blow outs is almost entirely incorrect.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]