Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Higgins fractured rib
Well. Now we’ll see how the offense does without Higgins. So I guess there’s that.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 07:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: If his drops didn’t drop his trade value…

At least they didn’t pay him.

That is so cold.  But it's true....

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 08:09 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The Bengals had a chance earlier this year.  They had several teams call to inquire about trading for Higgins.  I guess management thought the same thing as some of our fans, they would rather have Higgins play this year and walk after the season when he becomes a free agent than to trade him.  I always thought this was short-sighted and only hurts the team long term. 

We NEVER do this, we have NEVER done this.  Duke was very clear that we would NOT be trading Higgins.  

I was ready to trade Higgins straight up for Kyle Pitts yesterday.

Reply/Quote
Hopefully Iosivas can provide a spark to get the offense moving the ball down the field again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 09:18 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hopefully Iosivas can provide a spark to get the offense moving the ball down the field again.

I would expect Iosivas and Jones to provide a spark, it seems rookies want to prove it and then want that dough. Then when they get that dough they turn into Joe I guess. 

I know Burrow is injured, but I had a split thought the Bengals got fleeced lol. Like what if he retires right now is he still getting his guaranteed money?
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 09:29 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I would expect Iosivas and Jones to provide a spark, it seems rookies want to prove it and then want that dough. Then when they get that dough they turn into Joe I guess. 

I know Burrow is injured, but I had a split thought the Bengals got fleeced lol. Like what if he retires right now is he still getting his guaranteed money?

I would think that there would be language in the contract to protect against that sort of unlikely scenario.  However, even if it did happen it's not coming out of my pocket, that's a potential Brown/Blackburn family headache.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 09:29 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I know Burrow is injured, but I had a split thought the Bengals got fleeced lol. Like what if he retires right now is he still getting his guaranteed money?

As I understand it the CBA covers that in what they call a Forfeitable Breach:

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/4/section/9

Quote:Forfeitable Breach. Any player who (i) willfully fails to report, practice or play with the result that the player’s ability to fully participate and contribute to the team is substantially undermined (for example, without limitation, holding out or leaving the squad absent a showing of extreme personal hardship); or (ii) is unavailable to the team due to conduct by him that results in his incarceration; or (iii) is unavailable to the team due to a nonfootball injury that resulted from a material breach of Paragraph 3 of his NFL Player Contract; or (iv) voluntarily retires (collectively, any “Forfeitable Breach”) may be required to forfeit signing bonus, roster bonus, option bonus and/or reporting bonus, and no other Salary, for each League Year in which a Forfeitable Breach occurs (collectively, “Forfeitable Salary Allocations”), as set forth below:

Quote:Retirement. Should a Forfeitable Breach occur due to player’s retirement, a Club may demand repayment of all Forfeitable Salary Allocations attributable to the proportionate amount, if any, for the present year and the Forfeitable Salary Allocations for future years. If the player fails to repay such amounts, then the Club may seek an award from the System Arbitrator pursuant to Article 15, for repayment of all Forfeitable Salary Allocations attributable to present and future years. Repayment of Forfeitable Salary Allocations attributable to future League Years must be made by June 1st of each League Year for which each Forfeitable Salary Allocation is attributable. If the player returns to play for the Club in the subsequent season, then the Club must either (a) take the player back under his existing contract with no forfeiture of the remaining Forfeitable Salary Allocations, or (b) release the player and seek repayment of any remaining Forfeitable Salary Allocations for future League Years.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 09:52 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: As I understand it the CBA covers that in what they call a Forfeitable Breach:

The Albert Haynesworth clause...
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 09:29 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I would expect Iosivas and Jones to provide a spark, it seems rookies want to prove it and then want that dough. Then when they get that dough they turn into Joe I guess. 

Jones it out right now with the injury. It's Iosivas chance to shine.
Reply/Quote

Jones is out with a broken thumb.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 08:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do you think our FO was actually entertaining the idea of trading Tee mid-season, though?  Have we moved beyond the notion that such things are "making other teams better" yet?  I don't know, I just doubt this FO has any plan for Tee other than "wait 'til next year and we'll get something done, I'm sure."

Why would they have been thinking trade Tee mid-season... only way you trade Tee during the season would be if you are out of playoff picture.. No way the FO should be thinking at start of year.    I do hope they have been thinking that after this season they might look at trade offers.... 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 12:11 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Why would they have been thinking trade Tee mid-season... only way you trade Tee during the season would be if you are out of playoff picture.. No way the FO should be thinking at start of year.    I do hope they have been thinking that after this season they might look at trade offers.... 

How are they going to trade Higgins after the season? He is a free agent. The only way that could happen is they tag him then try to trade him. At that point what are you going to get in a trade for a player playing on a one year franchise tag? If Tee had been traded before this season that team would have got this year under contract plus the potential tag next year making the trade more valuable. I think the Bengals screwed themselves on this one.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 01:10 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: How are they going to trade Higgins after the season?  He is a free agent.  The only way that could happen is they tag him then try to trade him.  At that point what are you going to get in a trade for a player playing on a one year franchise tag?  If Tee had been traded before this season that team would have got this year under contract plus the potential tag next year making the trade more valuable.  I think the Bengals screwed themselves on this one.

We will see what happens, but I think this Tee thing is likely to just fall under the same old "why do anything when we can just do nothing?" mantra.  MB will use wanting to keep Tee here and not make another team better by letting him go as an excuse to offer Tee #2 money when multiple teams are going to give him #1 money for good or ill.

It'll be the higher profile version of when we shrugged and watched Sanu and Jones leave because, lord knows you can't have more than 1 WR in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 09:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would think that there would be language in the contract to protect against that sort of unlikely scenario.  However, even if it did happen it's not coming out of my pocket, that's a potential Brown/Blackburn family headache.

He'd be a fool to retire since his money is guaranteed for INJURY!  The FO is stuck with the contract. 

Joe Burrow contract blows away all prior quarterback contracts - NBC Sports

Burrow’s injury guarantee at signing is $219 million. That number is: $93 million more than Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott, $77.528 million more than Mahomes, $69 million more than Bills quarterback Josh Allen, $59 million more than Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray, $39 million more than Hurts, $34 million more than Jackson, and $25.27 million more than Herbert.

Why they'd buckle on that given he's injury prone (dating back to 2016) is something that probably his agent fought for and may be what held it up for so long. That is why you hire an agent tho. To get an injury prone QB 219 million guaranteed for injury.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2023, 08:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do you think our FO was actually entertaining the idea of trading Tee mid-season, though?  Have we moved beyond the notion that such things are "making other teams better" yet?  I don't know, I just doubt this FO has any plan for Tee other than "wait 'til next year and we'll get something done, I'm sure."

Yup

To be fair the FO has taken great strides in getting out of football 1963 operation mode. Having said that, I believe there's still enough of the "old school" ways that I'd be very surprised to see any trading of Tee this season.

This sucks
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 01:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: He'd be a fool to retire since his money is guaranteed for INJURY!  The FO is stuck with the contract. 

Joe Burrow contract blows away all prior quarterback contracts - NBC Sports

Burrow’s injury guarantee at signing is $219 million. That number is: $93 million more than Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott, $77.528 million more than Mahomes, $69 million more than Bills quarterback Josh Allen, $59 million more than Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray, $39 million more than Hurts, $34 million more than Jackson, and $25.27 million more than Herbert.

Why they'd buckle on that given he's injury prone (dating back to 2016) is something that probably his agent fought for and may be what held it up for so long. That is why you hire an agent tho. To get an injury prone QB 219 million guaranteed for injury.

Why they'd buckle on that?  Because Burrow had just taken this team to the Super Bowl and back to back years in the AFCCG, and they wanted to show him the respect that he's earned.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Paying for prior seasons performance is a no no in team building. Any of us Board GM's will tell you that.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 09:52 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: As I understand it the CBA covers that in what they call a Forfeitable Breach:

Joe has injury guarantees in his contract

Tee said he was injured when he landed on something, not by any hit. It happened on that sideline throw where he looked like he had it but the ball came out when he hit the ground. He hopes to play on Sunday

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 03:44 PM)pally Wrote: Joe has injury guarantees in his contract

Tee said he was injured when he landed badly not by any hit.  He hopes to play on Sunday

That is a given, the question being responded to had to deal with "what if Joe were to retire".  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 03:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is a given, the question being responded to had to deal with "what if Joe were to retire".  

He can claim that he retired due to injuries

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote