Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Higgins toe tap from other angle
(09-26-2022, 02:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wasn’t this ruled a TD?

[Image: FdhJTYOWYAAmTPJ?format=jpg&name=medium]

No. Chad only scored one TD in his entire career against the Jets and it was back in 2004. This is from the 2010 game against New York. Chad had 4 catches for 41 yards.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 02:04 AM)TKUHL Wrote: If a player is on the sideline in the endzone ( not running towards the sideline) jumps up or reaches for the catch and taps his toes while falling out of bounds that’s a catch. So what is the difference.

Probably to just make it easier on the officials and reviewers. It's easy enough to see if a toe is in bounds, or is dragged across the line. It's much harder to judge if part of a foot (arch to heel) actually touches or not. Case in point...Tee's attempt. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 02:45 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: The point that is being ignored is the fact that Zach had to use a challenge and subsequently lost a time out. If the call on the field is td, as is the norm on close plays, then review is automatic. Ultimately, it did not matter in the outcome of the game, but still cost us a time out unnecessarily. 

If the ref thinks a player is out they should not call it the wrong way just because it will be a free review. Too many plays are inconclusive for them to do that and they should go with what they think the right call is. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 01:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, I don’t see many “heel tap” catches (Tongue) but I get what you’re saying.

That is actually the correct technique that they should be teaching in all WR drills, daily.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 12:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://nflcommunications.com/Documents/2021%20-%20Rule%20Book%20%20Case%20Book.pdf
The most important part of that is the final sentence. If your toe tap is part of taking a step, and part of your foot goes out, it's out of bounds. It's the difference between a step and a toe drag.

Ok...now i'm confused. Maybe i'm just not talking about the same thing everyone else is talking about. To my understanding, even facing backwards, if your come down on the balls of your feet and immediately jump or step backwards without any other part of your foot touching out of bounds...it's a catch. 

I keep reading where the "heel has to be down". I've never read or heard that before. 

If you come down on the balls of your feet in bounds, but then your heel comes down out of bounds...it's not a catch. 

That's how i've always thought it to be. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 03:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ok...now i'm confused. Maybe i'm just not talking about the same thing everyone else is talking about. To my understanding, even facing backwards, if your come down on the balls of your feet and immediately jump or step backwards without any other part of your foot touching out of bounds...it's a catch. 

I keep reading where the "heel has to be down". I've never read or heard that before. 

If you come down on the balls of your feet in bounds, but then your heel comes down out of bounds...it's not a catch. 

I think if Tee jumped off his toes and didn't put his heel back down, it would have been a catch. The fact he didn't lift his foot off his toes and the heel came down, it was still part of that step and it's out of bounds.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 02:53 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: No. Chad only scored one TD in his entire career against the Jets and it was back in 2004. This is from the 2010 game against New York. Chad had 4 catches for 41 yards.

Ah ok, saw it online and the person made it sound like it was. I couldn’t remember.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 03:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ah ok, saw it online and the person made it sound like it was.  I couldn’t remember.

It's interesting that they found this, good digging on their part. It is essentially an exact replication of the scenario we saw yesterday. Different area of the field, but the concept and ruling are exactly the same. 
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 03:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ok...now i'm confused. Maybe i'm just not talking about the same thing everyone else is talking about. To my understanding, even facing backwards, if your come down on the balls of your feet and immediately jump or step backwards without any other part of your foot touching out of bounds...it's a catch. 

Yeah. If he had managed to either drag his toes and twist so his heels didn't hit down at all, or if he had been able to after the toe touch then lift his foot up and THEN take a step, then he'd be good.

Because he didn't drag the toes, and he didn't lift the foot up after the toe touch, it's considered still part of just the same step and thus he can't step out at all.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 02:57 PM)TheFan Wrote: If the ref thinks a player is out they should not call it the wrong way just because it will be a free review. Too many plays are inconclusive for them to do that and they should go with what they think the right call is. 

That’s not the way they normally make calls in the end zone. The only official with a view of the back line is all the way at the other side of the end zone. There is no way he can be confident the heel is down. The on field call should have been touchdown.
Then let replay sort it out. I have heard this said by “rules” experts on multiple occasions in the past few years. I’m not debating whether the final ruling is td or not. Zach should not have had to use a challenge and risk a time out.  His timeout/clock/game situation management is bad enough without the officials making it worse.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2022, 03:06 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It's interesting that they found this, good digging on their part. It is essentially an exact replication of the scenario we saw yesterday. Different area of the field, but the concept and ruling are exactly the same. 

AJ Green has done it on the sidelines a couple times. Against the Bears and Steelers, i believe. 

Reply/Quote

If no part of your foot comes down out of bounds on that step then you are good. If your heels touch inbounds then you jump, you are good.  Any part of the foot counts as inbounds so in your scenario it would be a catch.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

It was a Touchdown and even the Boyd toss TD could of stood as it didn't look like that was a blatant hold from Volson.

But that was a great toe tap by Tee, bogus by Boger and company.
Reply/Quote