Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowe's manager bows to racist request….
http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2015/08/lowes-black-driver-racist-customer

In short, a black delivery man is told to return to the store and is replaced by a white driver, due to a request by the customer to not have a black man at her home.

In the end, the manager who accommodated the request is fired, and the black driver goes on with business as usual. Lowe's corporate visit's and says they will be reviewing their manager training programs.

Thoughts? What would you have done differently?
Easy, I would have asked my immediate boss what to do to cover my rear. And made sure those directions be in an email to boot. In all reality though, i probably wouldve told that customer they will get a refund and go somewhere else.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I don't see the big deal. Charge the person for another delivery and send it back out with another driver. People are aholes.
(08-12-2015, 07:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I don't see the big deal.   Charge the person for another delivery and send it back out with another driver.   People are aholes.

For once I agree with Lucy.
(08-12-2015, 07:46 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I don't see the big deal.   Charge the person for another delivery and send it back out with another driver.   People are aholes.

Who can blame em right? I'll bet anything that you've already taught your daughters that if they ever bring a black boyfriend around the house, you'll put the fear of God in them.
I would have told the lady to kick rocks and go shop at Menard's.....BUT.....that also might get you fired.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(08-12-2015, 09:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: For once I agree with Lucy.

Pretty much.

Where the manager screwed up was in saying why. He should have just said "The customer requested this other guy." That's not uncommon. I'm guessing the guy is a contractor as most of them are independent and get paid by the job, so just making sure he wasn't getting shorted on jobs would have gone further than saying he was getting passed over for being a minority. 

Does it make the customer less racist? No. But it's a resolution where everyone would have been satisfied.
If I were Lowe's, I would be pretty disappointed that a manager shows such incompetency.
(08-12-2015, 09:55 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Who can blame em right? I'll bet anything that you've already taught your daughters that if they ever bring a black boyfriend around the house, you'll put the fear of God in them.

Man, that's kind of unfair to take a shot like that.
I would be inclined to go with Benton's solution, but Luci's wasn't horrible.
Regardless of it being a terrible racist situation, a store manager still is tasked with keeping customers happy.
If I were the guy delivering it, I might have been tempted to dump the load in her yard.
However, you have to take a lot of crap in retail to be successful.
With it being in Virginia, there probably are a lot of rich racists around (old money and all).
So, Luci's suggestion is not inappropriate and I think you would be correct in offering an apology.
(08-12-2015, 09:55 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Who can blame em right? I'll bet anything that you've already taught your daughters that if they ever bring a black boyfriend around the house, you'll put the fear of God in them.

Just when I think you can't get any more petty in your posts..... You take it to new depths.

Not sure why you have a hardon to insult me but it does nothing to move along any discussion. Your off the wall posts such as these have no place where anyone is trying to have a legitimate discussion.

Grow up
(08-12-2015, 09:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: For once I agree with Lucy.

Welcome to paradise Wink
Not a chance. We made the delivery, and you refused it. We will refund your purchase price, but you will still be charged for the delivery.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall