Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History. Most underrated Bengal....among Bengal fans
I have a few, but I'll start out with Rodney Holeman. Went to 3 straight Pro Bowl's ('88-'90) and was a key part of arguably the best offense in Bengal history (#1 in both yards and points in '88, top 10 in both categories '88-'90). Holeman started 8 years for the Bengals and is their career leader in catches by a TE (318). Holeman and Trumpy are the only Bengal TEs to have a season with 700+ yards and 9+ tds.
Reply/Quote
Dan Wilkinson. People forget he was actually incredibly talented and was very good for a long time.
The way he left and the fact he was never what we were sold when he was drafted changed everyone's mind.

Same goes for Justin Smith.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 01:45 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Dan Wilkinson. People forget he was actually incredibly talented and was very good for a long time.
The way he left and the fact he was never what we were sold when he was drafted changed everyone's mind.

Big Daddy lead all NFL interior D-linemen in sacks a couple of years that he was here.  He just never lived up to his hype.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 01:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Big Daddy lead all NFL interior D-linemen in sacks a couple of years that he was here.  He just never lived up to his hype.

People wanted a Reggie White type player. They got a guy who could have been great regardless but they ignored it because of what he wasnt
Reply/Quote
Joe Walter. Seventh round pick played in 166 games for the Bengals starting in 136 of them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 01:45 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Dan Wilkinson. People forget he was actually incredibly talented and was very good for a long time.

(01-28-2016, 01:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Big Daddy lead all NFL interior D-linemen in sacks a couple of years that he was here.  He just never lived up to his hype.

(01-28-2016, 02:09 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: People wanted a Reggie White type player. They got a guy who could have been great regardless but they ignored it because of what he wasnt

Agree 100%....on both players.  How about Brian Simmons?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 03:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agree 100%....on both players.  How about Brian Simmons?

Simmons was so good and one of my favorite Bengals for awhile. 
Takeo Spikes too. How he left ruined what people thought of him and how they remember him.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 03:04 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Simmons was so good and one of my favorite Bengals for awhile. 
Takeo Spikes too. How he left ruined what people thought of him and how they remember him.

Yup.  I never could really blame Spikes, or Dillon, or Pickens, really.....but Brian Simmons was a really good player on some really bad teams.  A forgotten name, and he never really even complained.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Reggie Williams. Played on both Super Bowl teams, 62.5 sacks, 16 int's and 23 fumbles recovered (franchise record). He also served on the city council during his final two seasons. The epitome of a player that gave everything he had to the team and to the city.
Reply/Quote
Rudi Johnson

Not great but back up RB who held the Bengals rushing attack together in the aftermath of the Corey Dillion departure.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Levi Jones was a very good left tackle and put his body on the line for the team. Fanene was a solid piece of the rotation and brought it when he was on the field.
Reply/Quote
Eric Steinbach
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Horst Muhlman
Reply/Quote
I always felt Spikes was a lot better than Simmons. Simmons just looked good because everyone around him was so bad. Remember how we thought Keith Rivers was noat that bad before we saw Burfict play the position?
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 03:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agree 100%....on both players.  How about Brian Simmons?

(01-28-2016, 03:04 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Simmons was so good and one of my favorite Bengals for awhile. 

It's great to see that he's turned into a great scout.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Not the most underrated, but anyone remember Dan Coats? He couldn't catch except for s**t from fans, but he was a pretty good blocker who played almost an entire season with a broken thumb. I kind of felt sorry for Coats..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 05:40 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's great to see that he's turned into a great scout.

He was one of the few dependable Bengals. Always in position. always doing his job. 

He would have been great if he had any support. 
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 05:42 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He was one of the few dependable Bengals. Always in position. always doing his job. 

He would have been great if he had any support. 

I never understood why we let him go after the 06 season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Brandon Tate.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote