Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - OJ Howard and Myles Garrett 2 safest picks in draft
Here's the thing. Howard is a better run blocker than Eifert, but Eifert is the better receiver. If we take Howard, then the 2 TE sets will last a year before we let Eifert walk in free agency, despite rolling over money for his extension. So taking Howard will basically fill a new hole that we create.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 04:20 PM)lbrown41017 Wrote: I believe it would be very hard to dispute either of the two guys. With Howard @ Bama I believe that we've only seen a flash of his potential. Watching the tapes he does everything you can ask of him is his blocking alignments. I just feel like they didn't give him a valid shot down field. I honestly would much rather see them snag Howard at 8 then any of the big 3 WR. That's just my opinion though.

That's where I am with this because he was heavily underutilized at Bama.

People say we don't utilize the tight end as much as we should, which is true, but, assuming do draft a running back, I think another pass-catching tight end could be dominant for us.  Even if it's just in Andy's progression to go from AJ to the middle of the field to Eifert or Howard, I think defenses struggle to defend that.
Reply/Quote
It's unfortunate that we are contemplating the Howard pick at 9. I love a healthy eifert as our starting tight end. And he seems like a good teammate and a good person off the field.

But as we all know this is a business. We also know the axiom can't help the club in the tub. We have no idea the extent of his back injury. But a person of his height, weight, position etc that can't be a good situation. He is going to want as much money as he can get on his next contract. I don't blame him as it may be his last. I have no idea what his market will be. It's unfortunate for all involved.

But the bengals should be preparing themselves for life without eifert after this year. When else will they have this opportunity?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Eifert can't stay on the field. With his back surgery I'm not filled with confidence that's going to change. It's really hard to say how the first 8 picks are gonna play out ? Does 1 QB go in top 8 ? Do 2 go ? If all the top D-linemen are gone where do we go at 9 ?

We need red zone offense bad, Howard very well could be a red zone nightmare. (like Eifert when actually playing) I've seen several mocks having Howard go before we pick.

I wouldn't at all be upset if we take Howard at nine !
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 03:09 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Dalton is a different qb when he has a beast stretching the defense up the seams.  Regardless of position the offense needs more playmakers outside of AJ Green and Bernard (coming off a knee). 

I agree the bengals need an OL as well, along with DL, and LB. 

If the bengals can get a better offense it will keep the defense fresher.  I'd give the bengals one more season to see if the OL can somehow gel.  It could get dalton killed... But I'd rather see the bengals take an impact playmaker and then get their OL help on day 2/3.
i'm now thinking at 9 it's going to be Barnette of Howard...I prefer Howard but whatever...I see both sides of that argument...if Howard is off the board I bet we pick Barnette...
rd 2 I want Mixon...he'd have to be BPA at pick 41, imo

I agree w/ your assessment of our needs & also like the idea of O-line help on day 2/3...I want OG Isacc Asiata in rd 3 {he can play every O-line position} & in rd 4 a Center....& w/ this OC pick if need be I say TRADE UP & get one of the two good ones....out of Oh st or LSU....either one is fine...but we have to fix our O-line or Dalton will get killed & our running game will suffer...can't pass 50 times per game...
Reply/Quote
My favorite TE in this draft is George Kittle out of Iowa. Be nice to get him in the 3rd or 4th, but I have the nasty feeling that Pittsburgh is going to nab him, because Big Ben is not happy with Jesse James. I can see Kittle giving the Bengals fits for years to come.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 04:41 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Here's the thing. Howard is a better run blocker than Eifert, but Eifert is the better receiver. If we take Howard, then the 2 TE sets will last a year before we let Eifert walk in free agency, despite rolling over money for his extension. So taking Howard will basically fill a new hole that we create.

I don't think you can really say that Eifert is the better receiver because Howard was underutilized at Bama, so we didn't get to see his full potential.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 04:41 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Here's the thing. Howard is a better run blocker than Eifert, but Eifert is the better receiver. If we take Howard, then the 2 TE sets will last a year before we let Eifert walk in free agency, despite rolling over money for his extension. So taking Howard will basically fill a new hole that we create.

Just as we drafted Eifert to fill the hole we created when we let Gresh walk.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 07:35 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: It's unfortunate that we are contemplating the Howard pick at 9.  I love a healthy eifert as our starting tight end.  And he seems like a good teammate and a good person off the field.  

But as we all know this is a business.  We also know the axiom can't help the club in the tub.  We have no idea the extent of his back injury.  But a person of his height, weight, position etc that can't be a good situation.  He is going to want as much money as he can get on his next contract.  I don't blame him as it may be his last.  I have no idea what his market will be.  It's unfortunate for all involved.

But the bengals should be preparing themselves for life without eifert after this year.  When else will they have this opportunity?

In the 2nd round with  Njoku or Engram ,, I don;t see a big difference between the three and prefer we go defense with 1st round pick before we go TE. 
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 10:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: L
In the 2nd round with  Njoku or Engram ,, I don;t see a big difference between the three and prefer we go defense with 1st round pick before we go TE. 

Except njoku is long gone before 41 and engram is not much of a blocking tight end which he would be asked to here
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 10:34 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Except njoku is long gone before 41 and engram is not much of a blocking tight end which he would be asked to here

Well if we are talking about two TE sets.. one can be a weaker blocker.. Engram is also probably the most polished route runner and hands of the three.. so I would love to have him at that pick... you are probably right njoku will be gone but i just see defense as a bigger need...  this is alway why i say trade back.. we can get defense, tight end, offense line with 3 picks in 1/2 rounds and fill some holes
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 10:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well if we are talking about two TE sets.. one can be a weaker blocker.. Engram is also probably the most polished route runner and hands of the three.. so I would love to have him at that pick... you are probably right njoku will be gone but i just see defense as a bigger need...  this is alway why i say trade back.. we can get defense, tight end, offense line with 3 picks in 1/2 rounds and fill some holes

Well the premise behind taking Howard at 1 is more of a replacement for eifert.  If eifert was healthy and we could/would sign him to another deal then all this talk of drafting a te early is mostly moot.  Then we're talking about adding someone in 4-6 to compete with Kraft or uzomah.  

If Thomas or Allen are there at 9 that's probably who I would lean towards.  I think Hobson is laying the groundwork for us potentially taking Howard over Barnett though.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 11:08 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Well the premise behind taking Howard at 1 is more of a replacement for eifert.  If eifert was healthy and we could/would sign him to another deal then all this talk of drafting a te early is mostly moot.  Then we're talking about adding someone in 4-6 to compete with Kraft or uzomah.  

If Thomas or Allen are there at 9 that's probably who I would lean towards.  I think Hobson is laying the groundwork for us potentially taking Howard over Barnett though.

Well any of those three would be a replacement for Eifert.. as I stated I think all three are potential fine TEs.. Engram might be the best ready to start coming out of college right now especially in the passing game. 
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 08:34 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't think you can really say that Eifert is the better receiver because Howard was underutilized at Bama, so we didn't get to see his full potential.

Absolutely correct, and it's not even debatable. He's a yoked Julio Jones that can completely destabilize defense's in the middle of the field. The tape shows it, and my T-town connections all concur.

There are a handful of other TEs in this draft that are very talented, but Howard's a pro already. The only two exceptions that I would be willing to risk the #9 pick on is Allen or Fournette.

I predict Barnett to be manhandled until year three at least, and Foster is a serious risk for more than one reason. That coming from the same rabid,yet educated Bama fan's that are very "high" on Howard.

Not to mention serious insurance for Mr.Glass.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 11:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well any of those three would be a replacement for Eifert.. as I stated I think all three are potential fine TEs.. Engram might be the best ready to start coming out of college right now especially in the passing game. 

Maybe, but he projects more like an h back or slot receiver. He rarely, if ever, lined up as an in line tight end and blocked. He would be asked to do that here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:45 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Maybe, but he projects more like an h back or slot receiver.  He rarely, if ever, lined up as an in line tight end and blocked.  He would be asked to do that here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i understand that..  but Eiffert did not come out as a great blocker either and also Engram is better at this time than Howard in the slot receiver.. so both have their advantages, i just like the idea of defense, possible trading back,, picking up an extra pick earlly getting a good pass rusher, good TE and either a possible offensive lineman or LB in first two rounds possible 
Reply/Quote
Is any TE really a safe bet anymore?  Look at what happens to the top TEs in the league year in year out: they're constantly injured.  Can it really be just bad luck that all of the best ones deal with serious injuries, or is it a factor of their body type and not being able to duck out of hits like a nimble WR or RB can?
Reply/Quote
BPA is fine with me. Is the drop off greater after OJ? Or the 3rd best DE than the rest. I think at 9 It would be very hard to pass up a top player at their position to take the 3rd or 4th best DE only 9 picks in. Which is why this draft scares the hell out of me cause you know it's almost a guarantee the best OT will be there. It's also very possible the best WR and CB will be too. We Have to get an instant starter, a playmaker, game changer at 9. Curious how far up guys like Adams, Hooker and Fournette are on their board and if they wouldn't hesitate to pick them.

For me I would like Garret of course then Fournette, Thomas, Howard, Adams even Foster still. If those guys are gone I would prefer we trade back.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone get the impression that Hobson likes Howard? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 10:51 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Does anyone get the impression that Hobson likes Howard? Ninja

He is pretty bad at getting dead set on someone, very similar to fans. I almost feel the more Hobson gets set on Howard the less we get him haha.
Reply/Quote