Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson - OJ Howard and Myles Garrett 2 safest picks in draft
(04-24-2017, 11:58 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Absolutely correct, and it's not even debatable. He's a yoked Julio Jones that can completely destabilize defense's in the middle of the field. The tape shows it, and my T-town connections all concur.

There are a handful of other TEs in this draft that are very talented, but Howard's a pro already. The only two exceptions that I would be willing to risk the #9 pick on is Allen or Fournette.

I predict Barnett to be manhandled until year three at least, and Foster is a serious risk for more than one reason. That coming from the same rabid,yet educated Bama fan's that are very "high" on Howard.

Not to mention serious insurance for Mr.Glass.

I saw this in Pete Schrager's mock draft...
Quote:Bills: O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

At 6-foot-6, Howard is an uber-athlete who also happens to love to block and get dirty. A GM told me around the Combine that his best NFL comparison is Jimmy Graham … ”if Graham loved to block in the run game.” Buffalo has a defensive head coach and needs help everywhere on that side of the ball, but I think Howard is the play at 10.
Steve Mitchell USA TODAY Sports

Perhaps the GM that made this comparison of Jimmy Graham but loving to block is completely out of his mind, but IMO it's not a stretch. Howard has elite potential, it just might not have been tapped yet due to Alabama's scheme. The Combine definitely demonstrated elite athleticism. If you could potentially get Jimmy Graham that's also a wiling and good blocker, wouldn't that be worth a top 10 selection?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 11:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I saw this in Pete Schrager's mock draft...

Perhaps the GM that made this comparison of Jimmy Graham but loving to block is completely out of his mind, but IMO it's not a stretch. Howard has elite potential, it just might not have been tapped yet due to Alabama's scheme. The Combine definitely demonstrated elite athleticism. If you could potentially get Jimmy Graham that's also a wiling and good blocker, wouldn't that be worth a top 10 selection?

Um, yes. 

Even if he isn't the reciever that graham is... If Howard could be a consistent 800-1000+ 8-10+ td TE AND a good blocker he could be a HOF TE.  I am using those numbers as baselines and assuming some better seasons along the way. 
Reply/Quote
So what does Lapham say?

I take what Hobspin says with a grain of salt. Lapham has been spot on in the past with where we go in the 1st.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So what does Lapham say?

I take what Hobspin says with a grain of salt. Lapham has been spot on in the past with where we go in the 1st.

Lapham hasn't given much other than look for the Bengals to possibly take multiple WRs in this year's draft.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 01:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Lapham hasn't given much other than look for the Bengals to possibly take multiple WRs in this year's draft.

Interesting. Would rather us take multiple Ends rather than multiple WR's myself. We got talented guys at the WR
position in Core, Boyd and Erickson. Alonzo Russell is another talented Receiver. Urban can coach up these guys,
not even mentioning Lafell who is solid.

BTW, the comparison of OJ Howard to Jimmy Graham makes me excited if we take this guy.

Better blocker but if he could be that receiving TE for us it would really help out this Offense. Already would be
helping out our young OT's in the blocking department.
Reply/Quote
david njoku and evan engram are not that far behind howard the two safest picks to me would be jamal adams and forrest lamp
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 11:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I saw this in Pete Schrager's mock draft...

Before some the issues with Foster, I saw some big write ups on him to be a total stud LB so also worth a top 10 pick ??
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:36 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Um, yes. 

Even if he isn't the reciever that graham is... If Howard could be a consistent 800-1000+ 8-10+ td TE AND a good blocker he could be a HOF TE.  I am using those numbers as baselines and assuming some better seasons along the way. 

Still hard to ignore him disappearing at times in some college games.. sure could be part Bama but the word is also lacks in concentration and dedication at times..   Over his junior and senior year, he had like 11 out of 27 games where he had 2 or less catches.  again part is scheme no doubt but that seems like a lot so could also be his own prep and desire ... Might be a pause of concern for a top 10 pick..  
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 02:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Before some the issues with Foster, I saw some big write ups on him to be a total stud LB so also worth a top 10 pick ??

Some analysts and rankings still consider Foster a top 10 pick based on talent. So yes if the medicals checked out and assuming the diluted test was what he said it was caused from.
With that said, in places I see Foster in the top 10, I also see Howard. In those, Howard is typically considered a better prospect than Foster (e.g. Howard 6, Foster 10).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 08:34 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't think you can really say that Eifert is the better receiver because Howard was underutilized at Bama, so we didn't get to see his full potential.

You're right. I imagine he's got Rashaun Simonise type potential.

(04-25-2017, 01:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So what does Lapham say?

(04-25-2017, 01:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Lapham hasn't given much other than look for the Bengals to possibly take multiple WRs in this year's draft.

Early in the year, Lap said that the Bengals would target a pass rusher, and if none were available that WR is a strong possibility. I'm curious to see if that changed since a couple of months ago. I have a feeling that we'll have to wait until draft day for Lap's predictions.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 04:07 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: You're right. I imagine he's got Rashaun Simonise type potential.

Early in the year, Lap said that the Bengals would target a pass rusher, and if none were available that WR is a strong possibility. I'm curious to see if that changed since a couple of months ago. I have a feeling that we'll have to wait until draft day for Lap's predictions.

So Barnett and John Ross seem the most likely according to this as Barnett will probably be there and JR
is their top WR according to recent news. Would be happy with either but would rather trade back and get
one of the two if we get the chance. I think i would lean more to John Ross and then get an End in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 05:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So Barnett and John Ross seem the most likely according to this as Barnett will probably be there and JR
is their top WR according to recent news. Would be happy with either but would rather trade back and get
one of the two if we get the chance. I think i would lean more to John Ross and then get an End in the 2nd.

I gotta be honest, outside of the Top 3 WRs (Ross, Davis, Williams), I'm not a fan of this WR class other than possibly JuJu Smith-Schuster on Day 2 or Josh Reynolds on Day 3.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 05:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I gotta be honest, outside of the Top 3 WRs (Ross, Davis, Williams), I'm not a fan of this WR class other than possibly JuJu Smith-Schuster on Day 2 or Josh Reynolds on Day 3.

I like Curtis Samuel, Josh Malone and K.D. Cannon too but you might be alluding to something here Ocho lol
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 05:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I gotta be honest, outside of the Top 3 WRs (Ross, Davis, Williams), I'm not a fan of this WR class other than possibly JuJu Smith-Schuster on Day 2 or Josh Reynolds on Day 3.

I am high the Godwin from Penn State, gives us speed and a good route runner.. i hope we pick him in 2nd round.. i don;t think he will be there in 3rd round. 
Reply/Quote
Was listening to NFL Radio on Sirius most of the day yesterday, and though all the mocks were just a little different, ALL of them agreed on one thing..... Howard will not be there at #9 for the Bengals to get. This was discussed specifically relating to Cincy and if they want him they have to move up. They talked about top 5 choices for Cincy...They talked about Foster, and said his biggest knock is he is undersized for an NFL linebacker (not something I realized). They were way high on Barnett and his sacs against SEC teams, and said he does not give up on plays, recalling a run play that went away from him where he pursued it and passed 5 teammates to make the tackle.
Reply/Quote
I think Hobson just wants Howard.He is by far from the safest pick.Coaches get caught up in intangibles way to much.His college stats alone don't deserve being a top 10 pick imo.He's getting way overhyped like Garrett is I believe.Look at Bennett stats college career compared to Garrett.He beats him in almost every category against SEC teams.Not saying Garrett isn't going to be a stud because he had a hell of a college career but Bennett had a better one.
Back to the safest pick I believe imo it's Bennett.I guy who dominated his entire college career.A positional need as well.Im not buying Hobson hog wash about Howard the safest pick though.I got a favorite player in the draft as well.Mike Williams but I'd still say Bennett would be the safe pick over him.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 09:36 AM)Striped4war Wrote: I think Hobson just wants Howard.He is by far from the safest pick.Coaches get caught up in intangibles way to much.His college stats alone don't deserve being a top 10 pick imo.He's getting way overhyped like Garrett is I believe.Look at Bennett stats college career compared to Garrett.He beats him in almost every category against SEC teams.Not saying Garrett isn't going to be a stud because he had a hell of a college career but Bennett had a better one.
Back to the safest pick I believe imo it's Bennett.I guy who dominated his entire college career.A positional need as well.Im not buying Hobson hog wash about Howard the safest pick though.I got a favorite player in the draft as well.Mike Williams but I'd still say Bennett would be the safe pick over him.

I think Howard is a safe pick in that he will be, at minimum, a very solid TE. He has great potential due to his athleticism.
Williams and Barnett are also somewhat safe picks in that they should be solid players, but they may not have as high of a ceiling due to their limited athleticism (at least from what many people believe).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 10:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think Howard is a safe pick in that he will be, at minimum, a very solid TE. He has great potential due to his athleticism.
Williams and Barnett are also somewhat safe picks in that they should be solid players, but they may not have as high of a ceiling due to their limited athleticism (at least from what many people believe).

Don't get me wrong.I think he's going to be good also but saying he's a safe pick in the top 10 judging by his college career stats I'm just not buying into it.Margus Hunts potential was off the charts everyone .I know he was a second round  but just using a example of the last  ( hopeful player ) we drafted.Seeing is believing.I don't put much stock into potential.Jaw dropping stats get my attention in the top 10 though.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 10:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think Howard is a safe pick in that he will be, at minimum, a very solid TE. He has great potential due to his athleticism.

If we are going off of potential I'd take Reddick every time over Howard.He only did it for a year but nobody can deny he was a beast this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 10:29 AM)Striped4war Wrote: If we are going off of potential I'd take Reddick every time over Howard.He only did it for a year but nobody can deny he was a beast this year.

I do like Reddick and think he could be used in so many ways as a LB. He can rush the passer a la Von Miller, which the Bengals haven't had in a long time. Also, the potential is there for him to be a coverage LB based on his performance and practices at the Senior Bowl. It's worth noting though that OJ Howard also demonstrated his potential as a receiver at the Senior Bowl.
To go along with this, here were Mike Mayock's "made money" players from the Senior Bowl North and South squads.
https://twitter.com/P_Woo/status/832004519005413376/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nj.com%2Fsports%2Fnfl%2F2017%2F01%2Fsenior_bowl_live_score_updates.html

The top player from the South squad was OJ Howard. The top player from the North squad was Haason Reddick.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote