Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobson still spinning the same old crap
(02-11-2019, 01:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The funny thing is, I live about an hour from Pittsburgh, and they usually have someone from the Away team on the radio...and they had Butch Hobson on. Butch is apparently his nickname.

He was pretty unbiased in his assessment of the Bengals. While I can't remember specifics of what he said, I remember feeling that he was pretty accurate and I was kind of shocked that it's the same guy that writes the articles on Bengals.com.

Interesting, I'm also in the PA Steelers zone and I've never noticed Hobson being on the radio.  Maybe I didn't even realize it was the same guy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If Hobson is semi-accurate, the Bengals will likely go DT in round 1 and it bothers me some because if White is there, I hope they grab him at backer. I could be ok with Williams or Ford though. O-Line is a mess.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 03:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Hobson is semi-accurate, the Bengals will likely go DT in round 1 and it bothers me some because if White is there, I hope they grab him at backer.  I could be ok with Williams or Ford though.  O-Line is a mess.

He hasn't been the last couple years so don't worry. 
Reply/Quote
DT would be a pretty terrible pick.

OT/G are my priorities. Then LB.

Why is LB a lower priority for me? Not because of need, but because of supply and cost. There are way more LB's in free agency than Tackles and they are much cheaper.

That said, IF the Bengals are 80% sure that White will be a good to great LB and that he can start right away vs being 50% sure an OT will be good to great, I take the LB.

We can't afford to miss!
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if White goes in the top 5-7 range. I'm pretty much all in on Ford now.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 03:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: DT would be a pretty terrible pick.

OT/G are my priorities. Then LB.

Why is LB a lower priority for me? Not because of need, but because of supply and cost. There are way more LB's in free agency than Tackles and they are much cheaper.

That said, IF the Bengals are 80% sure that White will be a good to great LB and that he can start right away vs being 50% sure an OT will be good to great, I take the LB.

We can't afford to miss!

They should let Burfict go to enjoy his kids and save his health, then grab two upper tier backers in FA.  This would open the draft.  I could see the Bengals getting a stud DT/DE if there.  Gary would be interesting pick.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 03:53 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: They should let Burfict go to enjoy his kids and save his health, then grab two upper tier backers in FA.  This would open the draft.  I could see the Bengals getting a stud DT/DE if there.  Gary would be interesting pick.  

Have to get a RT or RG in FA, have to followed by atleast one Linebacker. If we get these two positions taken care of i would be happy with Gary in the first. Heck of a player. But then go RT or RG in the 2nd or 3rd. O-line and LB'er cannot be ignored.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 01:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think those getting upset about the spin are those that expected/hoped the team would change its mindset on free agency now that Marvin's gone, but it sounds like it hasn't. I think people wanted to hear that the Bengals would start going for top-tier FAs rather than reserve their money for extensions.

Personally, I'm not surprised, as this is the same FO as when Marvin was here. Expect guys who have connections to the coach(es) in some way and/or those who are considered more B-tier players to plug in as short-term starters until draft picks come (along).

would you rather have...

1. An expensive Free Agent that could or couldn't work out... for mega money
or
2. Extend AJ Green

ill take Green everytime until hes past his prime
Reply/Quote
Lots of Defensive Tackles, Ends and  LB's here.... and a couple of OT's.....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-top-40-nfl-free-agents/ss-BBTiy3j?ocid=ientp
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 04:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: would you rather have...

or
2. Extend AJ Green

Can't we do both?
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 04:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: would you rather have...

or
2. Extend AJ Green

As if we can't have both?

The Steelers extend their guys...Pouncey, Tuitt, franchise tagged Bell before. Extended Brown. Roethlisberger.

The Bengals act like it's sign a free agent or Green.

Green is 30 years old. He's got at most 2-3 more years of being an elite WR left.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 03:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Interesting, I'm also in the PA Steelers zone and I've never noticed Hobson being on the radio.  Maybe I didn't even realize it was the same guy.

He had like a thick Boston accent. I think it was WDVE that I heard him on.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 04:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Can't we do both?

Exactly! I'm sick of seeing teams with less cap space do way more than us to improve their teams!
Reply/Quote
Ed Oliver next to Geno with Dunlap/Lawson on the edge.....my god. But yes I would prefer Devin White.

I will say that just two free agent signings such as KJ Wright and a solid guard/tackle really opens up the draft for the bengals.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 04:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to get a RT or RG in FA, have to followed by atleast one Linebacker. If we get these two positions taken care of i would be happy with Gary in the first. Heck of a player. But then go RT or RG in the 2nd or 3rd. O-line and LB'er cannot be ignored.

Cody Ford would be an awesome RG IMHO.  I think he kicks inside at the NFL but who knows, maybe he could play RT.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
I don't see a ton that I disagree with in what Hobson is saying.

We all probably need to get on with accepting that it may take this coach a couple of drafts to get enough young talent on the roster to really get them going in the direction he wants.

Yes, we have a glaring hole on the right side of the OL, and yes it should be addresses in UFA. Glenn isn't dependable enough to bank on and you have nothing behind him. Outside of that, once you get your FA o-lineman, you have to go best player available in the draft IMO. This, to me means DT as well as OT and LB.

The Bengals are not 1 or 2 players aways from being a team that will make a deep playoff run. They are 4-5 starters away with some very suspect depth. Poor depth at WR, DT, corner, and no depth or even decent starters at LB, TE, or the right side of the line. Adding to that, many of the above average to great starters are getting to the end of their football playing primes. I'm looking at this as a rebuild. I'll judge the new staff on player development after the first two seasons or so.

Do we need to be active in FA? Yes. Do we need to dump everything into it right this moment? Absolutely not. Player development and drafting will determine the future of this team over the next 2 seasons. If we have less-than-great records but can see obvious leaps by young players under the new coaches, then that's a win. Eventually, that will lead to having a roster that will compete for a title.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 04:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: As if we can't have both?

The Steelers extend their guys...Pouncey, Tuitt, franchise tagged Bell before. Extended Brown. Roethlisberger.

The Bengals act like it's sign a free agent or Green.

Green is 30 years old. He's got at most 2-3 more years of being an elite WR left.

Yep which also means he shouldn't cost a crazy amount cause he is getting older.

(02-11-2019, 04:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Exactly! I'm sick of seeing teams with less cap space do way more than us to improve their teams!

Same here.

(02-11-2019, 04:42 PM)MentalRage Wrote: Ed Oliver next to Geno with Dunlap/Lawson on the edge.....my god. But yes I would prefer Devin White.

I will say that just two free agent signings such as KJ Wright and a solid guard/tackle really opens up the draft for the bengals.

True.

(02-11-2019, 04:51 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Cody Ford would be an awesome RG IMHO.  I think he kicks inside at the NFL but who knows, maybe he could play RT.  

Maybe, either way we need the right side solidified.
Reply/Quote
Does any other team in the league have this goofy notion that late round, end of the round comp picks are so valuable, more valuable than a proven NFL player looking for a second contract?

And I really thought that now that the fake LB whisperer is gone, we might actually put proper value on three down LB's, might even spend a first rounder on a guy like White.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 03:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Ryan Glasgow, Marvin Jones and George Iloka were all compensatory picks.

Yes, No, and No.

1/3 is pretty poor, Fred, and the 1 you actually did get right has done absolutely nothing worth trumpeting in his 2 years.
2 Years: 34 tackles (18 solo), 0.0 Sacks, 0 Pdef, 0 INT, 0 FF

In order to get that Glasgow comp pick, they had to let either Mohamed Sanu or Reggie Nelson go, and not replace them in FA. Then they had to spend a draft pick on trying to replace their vacancy. That's not a net positive.

-Marvin Jones was the 31st pick of the 5th round of 2012. The pick came from the Patriots in the Chad Johnson trade.

-George Illoka was the 32nd pick of the 5th round of 2012. The pick came from the Giants in the Keith Rivers trade.

- - - - - - - - -

Both trades that worked out really well for the Bengals, but neither were a comp pick.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Resigning AJ is a must but giving him all the money up front so there is no money to sign free agents will only bring the same results. The Bengals have done this for years. If they do the same this year there is no chance of them winning in the immediate future. Sooner or later they must go all in or be perennial losers for another 25 years or until MB kicks the bucket.
Reply/Quote