Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hobspins annual lies
Every year Hobson gets his orders from the front office to temper expectations for free agency and remind everyone the team refuses to believe they can sign impact free agents and that the rest of the league envies our "model". This year he is at it again. His article states after draft picks and injury insurance and blah blah blah that the team will have 15 million to spend this year for free agency...what a joke!!!!
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 10:02 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Every year Hobson gets his orders from the front office to temper expectations for free agency and remind everyone the team refuses to believe they can sign impact free agents and that the rest of the league envies our "model". This year he is at it again. His article states after draft picks and injury insurance and blah blah blah that the team will have 15 million to spend this year for free agency...what a joke!!!!

our model has been doing pretty damn well of late.. so i dont think it is total BS as you want to make it out to be
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/View-from-both-sides/3223b9ba-3afd-45c8-9145-9c709fa7c0ca

I think it's bs. Especially this offseason. If we're not rebuilding as some hate to think, then it needs to be an all or nothing season for Marvin. Seems more like Marvin is a bridge to Guenther (instead of going all out for a championship), and the front office looking to the future. Which is cool and all, but the urgency to win now is lacking.

But we're rebuilding, and that 15million will likely got to Vinney Rey, Eifert, and Gio.

These contracts are going to be huge, and going to shock some. Nearly unimaginable for the front office to be competitive. Many will argue Nelson, Iloka, Jones etc aren't worth the contract they'll demand, and maybe they're right, but the market sets the value, and it's a good year to be a free agent for them.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Same old song and dance...
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
We have nearly 40 million in cap room we could have close to 50 million if we cut Hawk, Rey M, Nugent, and Peko. There is no way we only have 15 million to spend. If that's the case then Mike Brown should be forced to sell the team because he obviously doesn't care about winning or lacks the ability to win.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 10:55 PM)J24 Wrote: We have nearly 40 million in cap  room we could have close to 50 million if we cut Hawk,  Rey M, Nugent, and Peko. There is no way we only have 15 million to spend. If that's the case then Mike Brown should be forced to sell the team because he obviously doesn't care about winning or has the ability to win.

Cry dont make me cry anymore!  Cry

haha
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 10:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: our model has been doing pretty damn well of late.. so i dont think it is total BS as you want to make it out to be

Agreed. Longest streak in the league without a playoff win is the tits!  Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Things don't change until things change.
Reply/Quote
I get sick every year when Hobson writes this garbage.

We have over $39 million in salary cap.

If we extend dre and zeitler, we have more yet.

If we cut Marcus hunt and at hawk, we have more yet.

If the bengals get a rookie fg kicker, we have more cap space.

All the draft class suplaces other players and adds roughly $1.5 million to the salary cap.

When the bengals had injuries all over the place in 2014 or 2013, they used next to zero of the "injury contingency". Aj green, gene Atkins, Leon hall, andre smith, etc. we added a veteran Eric Winston at league minimum contract.

smh
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 10:02 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Every year Hobson gets his orders from the front office to temper expectations for free agency and remind everyone the team refuses to believe they can sign impact free agents and that the rest of the league envies our "model". This year he is at it again. His article states after draft picks and injury insurance and blah blah blah that the team will have 15 million to spend this year for free agency...what a joke!!!!

Not to boast or anything like that, but I told ya so.

(02-29-2016, 04:07 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Mike Brown uses different math. We'll have a rookie pool, injury pool and a roll-over to next year pool. You can expect an article from Hobson any day now saying how we really only have 19M to spend.

Granted, I was off the mark a little at $19M. I'm a bit shocked that they whittled it all the way down to $15M. The article was expected and the reasons given are the same as last year's article. We've been told rollover amounts were needed to keep our own players when they hit free agency in the future. Well, now is the future and it's time to use that rollover money, but, of course we won't use it because next year is the future. And when next year arrives, 2017 will be the future.

Say goodbye to Adam Jones, Marvin Jones and George Iloka, while Sanu (who we will overpay in desperation) becomes the defacto #2 WR. I give us a 50/50 shot at retaining Nelson after Iloka hits the road. The more defection we have the harder it will be to resign the others.

The team is playing the compensation pick game. Look for them to try and get 3 or 4 compensatory picks in the 2017 draft.

I see people posting about us signing Alex Mack and other free agents. Don't fool yourself. We'll maybe sign a guy or two from the bargain bin, maybe. We'll promote guys from the practice squad as injury replacements. Besides, a guy home watching games instead of being on the field isn't going to take $5M to sign. 

Reply/Quote
Clinching a first round playoff loss in early March. Way to go guys!

Seriously, if you're not even going to get aggressive to keep the guys you draft and mold then you have no chance of winning it all.

Safe to say after reading that article Iloka and MJ are gone, we probably overpay Sanu by about twice his value, keep a couple lower guys like Vinny, Gilberry, Tate, Winston, and Sims then have maybe enough to add Adam or Reggie if they don't get fair offers from anyone but us.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 11:47 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Clinching a first round playoff loss in early March. Way to go guys!

Seriously, if you're not even going to get aggressive to keep the guys you draft and mold then you have no chance of winning it all.

Safe to say after reading that article Iloka and MJ are gone, we probably overpay Sanu by about twice his value, keep a couple lower guys like Vinny, Gilberry, Tate, Winston, and Sims then have maybe enough to add Adam or Reggie if they don't get fair offers from anyone but us.

Tate should be out of the league. Another year watching him return kickoffs from 9 yards deep in the endzone, getting the 16 and having a 25 yard return. I'd laugh, but it's so hard to watch game after game. And the coaches don't seem to realize that they'd gain 4 yards if Tate just took a freakin' knee.

Winston and Gilberry I don't mind so much. They contribute on the field.

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 10:55 PM)J24 Wrote: We have nearly 40 million in cap  room we could have close to 50 million if we cut Hawk,  Rey M, Nugent, and Peko. There is no way we only have 15 million to spend. If that's the case then Mike Brown should be forced to sell the team because he obviously doesn't care about winning or lacks the ability to win.

And is DreK worth 8 mil? Ninja Seriously, i'm not sure he is. Rather keep Rey if it came down to it I think. Especially with Burfict being out and if Hawk gets cut. Which he should because he done. Must draft Peko's replacement.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 12:56 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: And is DreK worth 8 mil? Ninja Seriously, i'm not sure he is. Rather keep Rey if it came down to it I think. Especially with Burfict being out and if Hawk gets cut. Which he should because he done. Must draft Peko's replacement.

I think Dre is better than most but 8 is a bit pricey; I wouldn't mind cutting Rey because he is not a three down player anymore and doesn't call the plays on d either.
J24

Reply/Quote
I dunno J. All I saw last year was every QB throwing Dre's way...

It's going to be a interesting couple of months fur sure.

Reply/Quote
Bengals Mission Statement: [attachment=186]
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 11:47 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Clinching a first round playoff loss in early March. Way to go guys!

So depressing isn't it?
Iloka is a must re-sign in my opinion. I would love MJ's back but I'd rather have Iloka back if I had to pick between the two.
Reply/Quote
Honestly the Bengals cheapness in FA extends back as far as FA goes, so nothing shocking here.

The only other teams that avoid FA as much as the Bengals are the Steelers and Packers, and McCarthy isn't happy about it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
How can the Bengals say they "build through the draft" rather than go after top free agents, but when those guys they draft (Iloka) to build a team are free agents.....they let them go. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of "building through the draft"?
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 01:34 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: How can the Bengals say they "build through the draft" rather than go after top free agents, but when those guys they draft (Iloka) to build a team are free agents.....they let them go. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of "building through the draft"?

yep
J24

Reply/Quote