Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy #$!& We need a RB
We need a line that can open holes and push a pile. Jeremy Hill, for all his flaws, can produce with a good line. Doesn't mean we don't need a RB, but you could pick any RB in the league and put him behind this line a year ago and it wouldn't be pretty.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 11:32 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Just for kicks I thought I would go back and look at our rushing production last year.  I can't even describe how bad it was.

Other than the 2 Cleveland games (Hill - 168 & 111) and the meaningless Week 17 game (Burkhead 119), we had ZERO 100 yard rushing performances by our RBs.  That's pathetic.

Even worse?

In HALF of our games, the leading rusher had 50 yards or less
After the draft we will be loaded at RB with Fournette and Hill and Bernard and Peerman and maybe another late draft pick. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 09:36 AM)McC Wrote: What about him says he can't be a feature back?  I don't understand assuming he couldn't based really on nothing.

Right! Just watch, Burkhead is going to flourish and be a star in New England.... I can't wait to see what they do with him.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 08:53 AM)McC Wrote: Contract year.

(03-30-2017, 09:59 AM)Wyche Wrote: Beat me to it.....and hasn't pissed a drop since.

Then why are you guys concerned.  According to your logic Hill will have a great year in '17, right?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then why are you guys concerned.  According to your logic Hill will have a great year in '17, right?

Anything is possible.  But I don't see it for Two Yards.  He's a battering ram who thinks he's a ballerina.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 12:45 PM)McC Wrote: Anything is possible.  But I don't see it for Two Yards.  He's a battering ram who thinks he's a ballerina.

So basically you are saying that your own logic fails.

You can't just come up with an argument, but claim that you get to pick and choose which players your logic applies to.
Reply/Quote
XenoMorph Wrote:OBg was on the bench at that point

and Marv/Zamp used Hewitt properly for one of the few times all season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So basically you are saying that your own logic fails.

You can't just come up with an argument, but claim that you get to pick and choose which players your logic applies to.
 I made a statement about one guy.  You try to twist that into some weird blanket statement.  What am I, in the witness stand, Johnny Cochran?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
we have needed a center since 2005.

Truly pathetic that nothing has been done to address this core weakness.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So basically you are saying that your own logic fails.

Why not? You do it all the time
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 10:02 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: a good bit of that is on the OL problems.   we don't need a single rb to get 100 yards we need a team effort over 100

I get that, but last year you had one of the best OG and LT in the game and now they are gone.

Do you really want Hill and Tra Carson running behind the new group?

The reality is that we need a guy that can get tough yards regardless of the line play.  Hill isn't that anymore and I don't see anyone else on the roster that is.
Reply/Quote
For those running with the whole '2 yard Jeremy' thing...Gio actually had a higher percentage of 2 yards or less carries than Hill did last year.

When both of your backs are getting limited on a regular basis, either both backs suck...or there's a very real problem with the O-line personnel and/or scheme as far as run blocking.

When you look at Bengals O-lines over the past 10-15 years, they are almost always in the 20's in yards per carry. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2017, 11:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Do we really need a RB to improve the running game?  It seems to me that most of the successful teams come out throwing, build a nice lead, and then go to the rushing attack in the 2nd half to seal the deal.

The most frustrating thing in the world is KNOWING that a Hill off tackle run is coming on first down and its going to go for zero or negative yards and then watching it actually happen. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 12:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right! Just watch, Burkhead is going to flourish and be a star in New England.... I can't wait to see what they do with him.

They'll use him just like the Bengals did.  A 3rd down back and slot type guy.

Let's not sit here and act like he was a huge commodity in free agency.  He signed a 1 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 01:29 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The most frustrating thing in the world is KNOWING that a Hill off tackle run is coming on first down and its going to go for zero or negative yards and then watching it actually happen. 

Yes, very frustrating.  If they ever want that formation and personnel set to be successful again, they will have to come up with some better plays out of it.  Don't know if that means more play action passing, Hill stepping up his blocking game and running some straight drop backs, or utilizing Hill more as a receiver. 

But you're so correct that every time they line up with Hill in single back formation, they plays are brutally predictable.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 01:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: They'll use him just like the Bengals did.  A 3rd down back and slot type guy.

Let's not sit here and act like he was a huge commodity in free agency.  He signed a 1 year deal.

Time will tell....
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 01:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Time will tell....

I agree, but I don't see him doing much different then he did here.  The only reason he will be "better" is because he will be on the Patriots and have much more national exposure.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 01:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: For those running with the whole '2 yard Jeremy' thing...Gio actually had a higher percentage of 2 yards or less carries than Hill did last year.

When both of your backs are getting limited on a regular basis, either both backs suck...or there's a very real problem with the O-line personnel and/or scheme as far as run blocking.

When you look at Bengals O-lines over the past 10-15 years, they are almost always in the 20's in yards per carry. 

I think it's a combination of the RBs and OL. You've got Bodine who doesn't drive his guy off the ball on run plays. Seriously, he just stays in one place. Ced...nothing more needs to be said about Ced. Boling played with essentially one arm the whole season. The OL wasn't good and now its become worse.

Hill and Gio have their own issues. Hill is trying to be something he's not. He's always looking for cutbacks or trying to bounce outside. It's painful that he doesn't try to play like the bruiser he is. Gio seems determined to show that he's a complete back by running up the middle a lot. However, I notice that Gio tends to put his head down and just seems determined to get 4 yards on a play. Teams have grown wise to that. They just blitz the middle and stop him for no gain.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 01:29 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The most frustrating thing in the world is KNOWING that a Hill off tackle run is coming on first down and its going to go for zero or negative yards and then watching it actually happen. 

How did you know when this was going to happen?  Or did you just assume it was going to happen every time so that you could insure maximum frustration?

FYI Hill failed to gain yardage on a first down carry less than twice a game last year (27).  So if you really are capable of accurately predicting such a rare occurance I would love to know how you do it.
Reply/Quote
Like nearly everyone else has said we have to get better on the O-line first, period. Having said that it wouldn't hurt to draft a mid round RB just for safety considering the status of our current RB's.
Reply/Quote