Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Remodel/Addition Advice
What is the area like price wise that you are in? Is this addition going to completely out price your house for the area? If you think your house is hard to get out from under now, wait until you try to sell a house 50% more expensive then every house around you. You may possibly never get out from underneath this house if this addition moves you way above the top of the market for the area.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 03:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That's why I asked about Garage design. I know folks around the more rural areas in these parts whose Garage is superior to their house.

Yep.....drank a few cold barley pops in such establishments many a night. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 03:06 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I'm hoping that isn't necessary, but you never know.  I also hope we are done with winter now.  I wasn't planning on having a heated garage though.  Just getting electricity is fine with me.   If we have to, we've got relatives here that would let us spend a week or two in their basement while the house is getting done. 

But.........a heated garage would be freaking AWESOME!  :)

Does anyone know about Geo-Thermal installation?  Cost to install?  Does anyone already have this?   

I've seen heated floors in garages a few times around here.  They used heating elements similar to what the Packers installed in Lambeau Field.  It's labor intensive, and I'm sure the materials are quite expensive.  Also, your contractor has to be rather precise to ensure the elements are placed at the proper depth in the slab.  I've only been in one of those completed buildings, and it seemed to work great.  A good old fashioned wood burning stove is probably your most economical bet there for a garage. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 03:08 PM)Au165 Wrote: What is the area like price wise that you are in? Is this addition going to completely out price your house for the area? If you think your house is hard to get out from under now, wait until you try to sell a house 50% more expensive then every house around you. You may possibly never get out from underneath this house if this addition moves you way above the top of the market for the area.

No, we're living in the smallest house in town I think.  (it feels like it sometimes Cry )
After all is said and done, we are basically looking at a standard sized ranch house, with a nice sized garage in the back yard. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 03:06 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: .

I'm hoping that isn't necessary, but you never know.  I also hope we are done with winter now.  I wasn't planning on having a heated garage though.  Just getting electricity is fine with me.   If we have to, we've got relatives here that would let us spend a week or two in their basement while the house is getting done. 

But.........a heated garage would be freaking AWESOME! :)

Does anyone know about Geo-Thermal installation? Cost to install? Does anyone already have this?   

I do know there are Government grants available. Also tax credits.

I really would look for other properties though.
It would most likely be cheaper to purchase what you want, than to have it built.
And you're going to want to have 1400-1800 sq ft, if you have an inkling of having a family.
I have 2500 sq ft and some days it isn't enough.
Also, if you cannot sell the small house, rent it out.
Tenants can be a pain, but if you get a few properties it can make your house payment for you.
Good Luck !
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 02:22 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: No, its that small.  That's why we are adding an addition.   And we're trying to sell, but not having any luck so we've been thinking we love our location, why not build to our satisfaction and stay?  The house was perfect for me and the dog.  But now that I got married, its just a little too cozy in there for both me and the wife. 

As far as a loan goes, I would love to get the equity out of my house into a loan and then add any additional funds in the construction loan.  Then after its all done, combine everything into one new new mortgage.  That's how I have it figured in my head anyways. 
IF we could get the addition/remodel done for $70k and the new garage for $25k, I'd be super happy!  Its not like we are looking for any high end materials.  Just basic drywall walls, windows, carpet, etc.  But what I'm afraid the real expense is going to be into updating the furnace/central air unit. 
You may be ahead by having a new unit for the new part and your existing unit for the old part. Depending on layout, that may be cheaper than trying to tie in one system with the ductwork.

You may also be able to save a good chunk by doing it yourself. Laying carpet in new construction is easy. Drywall isn't too bad with a little practice. Tile fan be intimidating, but with solid planning and a $100ish tile saw, it's not too bad.

But do mot skimp on electrical work. I've known ir covered so many house fires because someone tried to do it themselves. Hire a pro, make sure he's insured.
Reply/Quote
Check in with your building permit office if applicable in your area. You will have to satisfy their requirements. Some districts require formal drawings,with an engineer's or architect's stamp.

Will your completed expansion require new siding for the entire structure? Is the existing wood, brick, or vinyl? If all new siding is desired, consider Hardiplank, as it's 90%Portland cement and your insurance company will rate your home as masonry construction, which reduces your premium and gives a stronger, and quieter home.

Are you on a 'city' sewer system, or do you have a septic system. Your expansion will require an upgrade IF you have a septic system (your county health department usually governs over this).

As already mentioned, you will need additional HVAC, which will require an upgrade in electrical service amperage, since your existing house most likely has a 100 amp panel. You will want a 200 amp service, with a sub-panel of 50 amp minimum for the garage.

Once you have finalized your design, you can save by buying your materials in 'package' form from your local Lowes/Home Depot etc and get a contractor's discount by working with the contractor sales manager/rep. And that person will likely have a list of contractors he normally deals with, to recommend for your project, in the event the contractors you now have don't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling. If your local supplier is well represented with a competent manager, he can be very useful in catching any lack of detail in your materials list. A good one can save you $ in labor if you provide your contractor a complete package. A lot of people will shy away from going this route, instead just using turnkey services from a local builder. This can be costly either way, especially in the residential construction business, which is historically the least professional. That's where your materials supplier can be helpful, along with the BBB, your banker, and surveyor. Don't hesitate to ask for references.

Don't overlook the cost of landscaping/lawn areas for your finished project, plus exterior lighting. And the driveway is sometimes an expensive surprise cost. And your insurance will increase.

As for geo-thermal, check with your utility company. When I did my last one, I got a 35% rebate which came in handy, since my particular installation was about double what a 'conventional' system would have been. WTS, my monthly utility cost was about half of conventional systems. However I only stayed at that house for a few years after completion, so I can't speak for the durability of the recirculating pumps or the water-sourced compressors. Water treatment for your system is recommended too, mainly for corrosion prevention.

Don't hesitate to ask for any additional info, as my career centered around design and construction for 35 years
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 12:55 AM)Benton Wrote:  Laying carpet in new construction is easy. Drywall isn't too bad with a little practice. 

It is tough to stretch carpet if you don't know what you are doing or don't have the tools.  I know a guy who did his own carpet.  It looked good when he did it, but started wrinkling up when it stretched.

Drywall will take FOREVER if you are not used to sanding and finishing seems and corners.  However their are some types of sheet wood paneling that does not look bad and is very easy to install.

the only stuff I would recommend doing it yourself would be wood/laminate flooring, painting, baseboards, crown molding, and stuff like that.

And no one has mentioned this year, but I am sure being from Iowa you are planning plenty of insulation.  That stuff is worth its weight in old in cold areas.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 02:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A couple of years ago when I was looking at roofing i was surprised to find out how cheap metal roofs are.  they used to be much more expensive than shingles, but now they are cheaper.  They don't look right on every kind of home, but they are tougher than shingles and last longer.

They last way longer! This is way they have been the choice for barns, outbuildings, and warehouses for a very long time.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 11:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is tough to stretch carpet if you don't know what you are doing or don't have the tools.  I know a guy who did his own carpet.  It looked good when he did it, but started wrinkling up when it stretched.

Drywall will take FOREVER if you are not used to sanding and finishing seems and corners.  However their are some types of sheet wood paneling that does not look bad and is very easy to install.

the only stuff I would recommend doing it yourself would be wood/laminate flooring, painting, baseboards, crown molding, and stuff like that.

And no one has mentioned this year, but I am sure being from Iowa you are planning plenty of insulation.  That stuff is worth its weight in old in cold areas.

Carpet stretching isn't too bad and some stores will rent or loan you the kicker (dunno the real name).

My problem with paneling is it's not forgiving. Your cuts have to be exact and it takes some practice cutting out wiring receptacle holes. Paneling you can mud mistakes.
Reply/Quote