Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do You Grade These 4 First Round Picks So Far ?
Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jackson all Cornerbacks and Tackle Ogbuehi......Maybe it's too early but how would you grade Bengals First Round Picks of late on these guys.....A, B ,C, D, E, F.......you make the call. How are the Bengals doing lately in the draft ?????
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Kirkpatrick is far from elite, but is a serviceable NFL cornerback. Dennard has seemingly been hurt more than healthy, and has never looked very good when he is on the field (at times he looks terrible). Ogbuehi does not even look like an NFL tackle, let alone a first round draft choice. Jackson? Who knows, he has not played.

Right now I would give them a "D".
Reply/Quote
Kirkpatrick -B solid player and starter but not great and replaceable.
Dennard- I would go with Incomplete just because i have seen him play very little.
Ced- it's early and transitioning to NFL tackle from college tackle is hard. Right now it doesn't look good but it's still very early in the process.
Jackson- Incomplete as well due to injury.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
My problem for the last few years has been the injury bug all of our better prospects get hit with.

When was the last time we had our first rounder not be hurt to start the season? It definitely appears to impair development time. Dennard and Ogbuehi are both suffering and appear to be steps behind what they should be at. I fear what Jackson III and Billings are going to do next year when they are, hopefully, healthy.
Reply/Quote
What about Zeitler and Eifert too? They've been the best actually of the recent first rounders.

DreK = average starter
Zeitler - above average starter
Dennard = no clue what's going on there, was convinced he was already going to have been a quality starter for us. With AJones level of play up till now there was less heat / focus on him but he has to make the leap ASAP
Eifert = great player, all about him staying fit
Og = very glad he's been pulled out of the firing line as he needs more time. There's still hope but can't help feeling it may not be till end of year 3 or 4 before he's consistently a good starter level. Again with Whit and Winston thats time we have not got
Will Jax = lets hope he's more JJoe and Hall then Dennard

You can see what Tobin et al did when they made the picks they did.

..Two OL (Og,Fisher) ahead of when we needed them so they don't overpay Dre Smith, phase out an aging Whit , not pay Zeit.
..Eifert was top of their board and allowed then to not renew / overpay Gresh
..Dennard / WJax to replace Jones and give them a cheaper option if DreK was wanting too much and not playing well

I think they were hoping with the recent selections they've made that they would not have to pay top dollar for all of Smith, Drek and Zeit. Obviously they let Smith walk and we saw how that has gone with Og...I think there's a lot less flexiblity now to let DreK and Zeit walk. Either that or you make a similar leap of faith that Dennard, WJax, Og can be the cheaper alternatives without a drop off in play next year
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:05 PM)sonofstat Wrote: What about Zeitler and Eifert too?    They've been the best actually of the recent first rounders.

DreK = average starter
Zeitler - above average starter
Dennard = no clue what's going on there, was convinced he was already going to have been a quality starter for us. With AJones level of play up till now there was less heat / focus on him but he has to make the leap ASAP
Eifert = great player, all about him staying fit
Og = very glad he's been pulled out of the firing line as he needs more time. There's still hope but can't help feeling it may not be till end of year 3 or 4 before he's consistently a good starter level. Again with Whit and Winston thats time we have not got
Will Jax = lets hope he's more JJoe and Hall then Dennard

You can see what Tobin et al did when they made the picks they did.

..Two OL (Og,Fisher) ahead of when we needed them so they don't overpay Dre Smith, phase out an aging Whit , not pay Zeit.
..Eifert was top of their board and allowed then to not renew / overpay Gresh
..Dennard / WJax to replace Jones and give them a cheaper option if DreK was wanting too much and not playing well

I think they were hoping with the recent selections they've made that they would not have to pay top dollar for all of Smith, Drek and Zeit.  Obviously they let Smith walk and we saw how that has gone with Og...I think there's a lot less flexiblity now to let DreK and Zeit walk. Either that or you make a similar leap of faith that Dennard, WJax, Og can be the cheaper alternatives without a drop off in play next year

I don't see how anyone could have faith in Dennard.  Besides the fact he can't stay healthy, he has been out played by Josh Shaw.
Reply/Quote
I'm a little more optimistic than some and more pesimistic than some:

1. Dre. I actually give him a B+. I think he's playing pretty well this year.
2. Dennard - D-. The only reason he's not getting an F is because he is still on the roster.
3. Jackson - Incomplete. I can't see how you would grade him at all,
4. Ced - D+. The only reason he doesn't get a D- is because he has played significant time.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:16 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I don't see how anyone could have faith in Dennard.  Besides the fact he can't stay healthy, he has been out played by Josh Shaw.

Yep...fair point.   Guess I'm just a gullible fool and when Lewis said he was the best rookie CB he'd seen you hope it shows itself at some point!

Fact is, even if he did reward that blind faith, and become a decent starter next season that's still 3 years of nothing from a #1 pick
Reply/Quote
Kirkpatrick: C he's serviceable, but cost a 1st round pick and took years to develop.
Dennard: D so far, which surprises me. Injured too often so doesn't get enough reps while the years pass by.
Og: D so far. Would he even be seeing the field if the team hadn't spent a 1st round pick on him? His play has just been bad.
Jackson: No way of saying anything at all other than he's been injured.

If you add in Eifert and Zeitler who were the other two 1st round picks from the last 5 years, only Zeitler has been consistently on the field.

Eifert, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Og and Jackson have all missed considerable time with injuries. Og, Kirkpatrick, Jackson and Dennard all had 1st year injuries which curtailed or just knocked out their rookie years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
D-
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 12:23 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Yep...fair point.   Guess I'm just a gullible fool and when Lewis said he was the best rookie CB he'd seen you hope it shows itself at some point!

Fact is, even if he did reward that blind faith, and become a decent starter next season that's still 3 years of nothing from a #1 pick

I had high hopes for him and remember Marvin making that statement.  Waiting three years is much too long to get production for first round picks.  At least it is in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
I think that DeCastro was the pick we should have made instead of Zeitler.
Reply/Quote
Thumbs Down 
I'd give them all D, Mike Brown and the coaches F-.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 01:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that DeCastro was the pick we should have made instead of Zeitler.

Yep. He was there for the taking and we didn't. They traded down and got Zeitler and Brandon Thompson. I don't think it was a terrible trade after all since I really don't think DeCastro is that much better than Zeitler. Still though, I really wanted them to take DeCastro.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 04:13 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Yep. He was their for the taking and we didn't. They traded down and got Zeitler and Brandon Thompson. I don't think it was a terrible trade after all since I really don't think DeCastro is that much better than Zeitler. Still though, I really wanted them to take DeCastro.

And they passed on L. Bell for Bernard. Could you imagine our running game with Bell?
Reply/Quote
The 2015 draft may end up haunting the Bengals for a long time. It could also end up being a catalyst for a nice run as well. Early results not positive though.
Reply/Quote
It took them forever to start Kirkpatrick. They didn't start him until 2015, so 3 years until they actually gave him true playing time.

Still haven't started Dennard. And they keep putting him at nickel, somewhere he didn't play at college. He won't get better until they put him on the outside.

Never liked to Ogbuehi pick. Saw it as a boom-bust pick.

WJIII has seen no playing time.

It's hard to judge the cornerbacks because cornerback is the hardest position to transition to from college. Every cornerback goes through growing pains. Every single one. The more playing time you get, the better you get. Sadly, the Bengals aren't really doing that with their draft picks and by the time it's their 4th or 5th season, they finally started their first full season. And it's hard to judge talent at that point.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
F

-Kirkpatrick is finally a decent starter, but it took 5 years to reach that point. Still does have tackling and stupid penalty problems though. Terrible first round pick, would have been a decent 6th round pick. I see people giving him a B+ and such based off 2016, forgetting the previous 4 years. 5 year grade, not 1 year grade.
-Dennard hasn't done shit.
-Will Jack hasn't done shit.
-Ogbuehi has been worse than shit.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Kirkpatrick - C
Dennard - D
Ogbuehi - F
Jackson III - N/A
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2017, 04:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And they passed on L. Bell for Bernard. Could you imagine our running game with Bell?

Would we even have that Le'Veon Bell?

He was crap his rookie year. He dropped 30 pounds and reinvented himself to the player he is today.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote