Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Players Away Do YOU Think We Are?
I remember last year - PFF had 7-8 of our starters ranked in the 40's/50's which is low. People thought we just needed to get rid of Alexander and the line would improve drastically. This year, it rates out about the same.

Some thought with 1-2 additions that the team would be a contender this year. We're obviously not.

So what are your thoughts? How many upgrades do we need?

I'd say we need at minimum:
-3 upgrades on the offensive line - (1 could be Price improving his play)
-1 starting TE (not Eifert. Time to move on)
-3rd WR - (Maybe Ross improves into that role. We definitely need more production out of that spot.)

On Defense
-2 LBs - I'll count Vigil as being ok for next year assuming we can upgrade the other 2 spots.
-DT? - We could use another Good DT. The guys we have next to Geno are average at best. Maybe Glasgow recovers and it's him?
-CB - Outside of Jackson, we need another CB to play more capable. Maybe the pass rush helps that?

That's a lot of needs for 1 year.
Reply/Quote
I tend to agree with your assessment. Price needs to improve, and then a minimum of one other either needs to improve or be drafted/signed. Ideally, this would be a big focus in FA, with maybe a high-ish pick used to pick up some extra talent (2nd/3rd). Unless we want to wait until 2020 to draft a AB, grab a guy in the first round this coming year.

Young QB needs to be drafted. First rounder. If he’s drafted in 2019, let him sit behind Dalton and learn.

Ross needs to continue his improvement and get involved more outside of the red zone.

A good TE would be great but I wouldn’t make it a priority. Kroft is a fine option and Uzomah is okay as well. If they have someone they like come up, great. I’m not going to count this one.

On defense, two LBs.

A starting DT. Perhaps Glasgow once he returns, perhaps Billings improves. Running backs have gotten to the second level all season fairly easily. I think we have some good guys that can improve.

CB I think we are fine. As in, the Bengals can compete at a high level with Dre and Jackson out there. There could be some improvements made, but I think a lot of the issue was a scheme thing.

Yep, 7-8. That is just starters. Depth is very important as well.
Reply/Quote
At the very least 2 OL & 2 LB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'd say we're 2 LBers, 1 Defensive Lineman, 2 Offensive Linemen, 1 Tight End and 1 Receiver away from being a truly competitive team.

You can swap the Tight End and Receiver out for 1 QB, since you don't need to arm elite QBs to the teeth with weapons like you do Dalton.
Reply/Quote
I’m not writing John Ross off just yet. I think he can be a good #3WR if he’s used properly. Just need the coaches capable of doing it.

TE is more of a want than a need, imo. Having Kroft and Uzo our there might not win us games, but they’re not going to cost us any either. Not like a few of the guys on the OL, and every LB not named Nick Vigil.

Reply/Quote
6-8

We have to have two starting quality Olinemen, 3 wouldn't hurt.

We have to have two starting quality LBers who are much better in coverage than what we now have.

Plus upgrades at TE and DT are needed as well.

MJ, Nickerson, Redmond, Hart and others need to go so we're gonna need depth as well. You an't fix this team in a single draft unless it was the best draft of all time.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 12:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not writing John Ross off just yet. I think he can be a good #3WR if he’s used properly. Just need the coaches capable of doing it.

TE is more of a want than a need, imo. Having Kroft and Uzo our there might not win us games, but they’re not going to cost us any either. Not like a few of the guys on the OL, and every LB not named Nick Vigil.

I bet Hue would get him used properly if made OC.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 12:22 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'd say we're 2 LBers, 1 Defensive Lineman, 2 Offensive Linemen, 1 Tight End and 1 Receiver away from being a truly competitive team.

You can swap the Tight End and Receiver out for 1 QB, since you don't need to arm elite QBs to the teeth with weapons like you do Dalton.

I'd DOUBLE that ... AT LEAST ...

Defense:
None of our current LB's can cover or tackle ... so we'd need 3 LB's.
Our DL is decent BUT several of the IR guys will take a 2019 to get back to form so we'd need 2 on the DL.
DB's are decent but they're playing poorly overall so we need 2 of those also.

Offense:
Other than Price and Boling, we need 3 GREAT starters on the OL.
The TE/Receivers group need help so 2 guys there.
While Dalton is serviceable, we're still several years away from needing a QB.

In total ... 12 players ... basically half a football team. And that will take 3-4 drafts to accomplish assuming management doesn't blow it. And, after 3-4 drafts, the other 1/2 of the team will need to be replaced.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 12:33 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I bet Hue would get him used properly if made OC.

I would not be opposed at all to making Hue OC.

He always had good plays drawn up for this team when he was here.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 11:58 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I remember last year - PFF had 7-8 of our starters ranked in the 40's/50's which is low. People thought we just needed to get rid of Alexander and the line would improve drastically. This year, it rates out about the same.

Some thought with 1-2 additions that the team would be a contender this year. We're obviously not.

So what are your thoughts? How many upgrades do we need?

I'd say we need at minimum:
-3 upgrades on the offensive line - (1 could be Price improving his play)
-1 starting TE (not Eifert. Time to move on)
-3rd WR - (Maybe Ross improves into that role. We definitely need more production out of that spot.)

On Defense
-2 LBs - I'll count Vigil as being ok for next year assuming we can upgrade the other 2 spots.
-DT? - We could use another Good DT. The guys we have next to Geno are average at best. Maybe Glasgow recovers and it's him?
-CB - Outside of Jackson, we need another CB to play more capable. Maybe the pass rush helps that?

That's a lot of needs for 1 year.
We need a RG, two OT's, at least two speedy LB's who can cover and are not too dumb to play, a legit receiving TE and a true run stuffing NT.  I count 7.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
DreK - Not good.  Overpaid.  Cut and sign another FA
Dennard - Lacking NFL starting talent.  Let him walk.
Burfict - Undisciplined and neutered by the league.  Cut.
M. Johnson - Overpaid and inconsistent.  Cut.
Bobby Hart - Just terrible.

That's 5 starters that need to be upgraded via FA or draft.

Billings is feeling more and more like a bust to me and the biggest reason our D-line has been underwhelming.

Whether Glasgow, Ringo, or whoever can make up for it is a big question mark.

Glenn - Underwhelming
Brown - Flashed some but underwhelming as well

That's a lot of work!

They need to ditch Ced O, Redmond, and Fisher for various reasons.

They aren't even good depth players.

Then there's Andre Smith?  Is he done in the NFL or can he contribute/start?
Reply/Quote
The offensive line and linebacker corps are the biggest offenders.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 12:53 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: DreK - Not good.  Overpaid.  Cut and sign another FA
Dennard - Lacking NFL starting talent.  Let him walk.
Burfict - Undisciplined and neutered by the league.  Cut.
M. Johnson - Overpaid and inconsistent.  Cut.
Bobby Hart - Just terrible.

That's 5 starters that need to be upgraded via FA or draft.

Billings is feeling more and more like a bust to me and the biggest reason our D-line has been underwhelming.

Whether Glasgow, Ringo, or whoever can make up for it is a big question mark.

Glenn - Underwhelming
Brown - Flashed some but underwhelming as well

That's a lot of work!

They need to ditch Ced O, Redmond, and Fisher for various reasons.

They aren't even good depth players.

Then there's Andre Smith?  Is he done in the NFL or can he contribute/start?
It's amazing how much better a pass rush makes DB's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 12:33 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I bet Hue would get him used properly if made OC.

I’m not so sure. Cleveland’s offense has been significantly better since he’s been gone.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 01:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not so sure. Cleveland’s offense has been significantly better since he’s been gone.

Was that Hue...  or the OC Haley?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 01:42 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Was that Hue...  or the OC Haley?

Probably a bit of both.

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 01:17 PM)McC Wrote: It's amazing how much better a pass rush makes DB's.

This team would be crazy to give Dennard more money.

Individually he's not good and injury prone.

DreK is not better than a FA they could sign in my opinion.

He is not worth the money.

Yes a pass rush will improve play.  Especially if they are causing sacks, knock downs, and incomplete passes.

That doesn't necessarily make DBs any better however or the ability to take good angles and make standard tackles. 

It just gives them an out and Swag a chance to show us his flashy "incomplete hands + chest thump" that we all looooooove!!
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 01:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m not so sure. Cleveland’s offense has been significantly better since he’s been gone.

(12-15-2018, 01:42 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Was that Hue...  or the OC Haley?

(12-15-2018, 01:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Probably a bit of both.

Only if he was hamstringing talent and calling most of the plays.

Hue did a fine job in Cincinnati here as OC and that was under Marvin frickin' Lewis and Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 12:44 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I would not be opposed at all to making Hue OC.

He always had good plays drawn up for this team when he was here.

I think that Hue is a capable OC...the only problem I have is if you totally want to change the culture away from Marvin Lewis and bring in a winning culture...that isn't Hue Jackson. He has 0-16 attached to him.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2018, 12:50 PM)McC Wrote: We need a RG, two OT's, at least two speedy LB's who can cover and are not too dumb to play, a legit receiving TE and a true run stuffing NT.  I count 7.

I think we're all basically at similar spots. So we need to replace 7 of 22 starters.

And I read on here that some people say our roster has a lot of talent. Needing 7 new starters screams rebuild.
Reply/Quote