Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Marvin Lewis bungled his message to the players
Strong words here from A.J. Green and basically, no one believes the head coach after that PR fiasco on Sunday and Monday.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/12/20/how-cincinnati-bengals-head-coach-marvin-lewis-bungled-his-message/970439001/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Publicly lobbying for an extension in January (claiming his assistants could use the peace of mind).
Calling out Hill and Ross publicly.
Having what seems almost like a grudge against Ross. (Rumors that he didn't want even want to draft Ross)
Telling the press of his intentions before even telling his own players.

It's been an interesting year for Marvin Lewis, and IMO he's coming off as a selfish guy who is only concerned with his own career.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
What a mess.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
To not address the team on the "situation" is just bad form. Those players deserved to hear whatever, from Marvin first.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Marvin is certainly not ending his bengals tenure with an ounce of tact or even intelligence, for that matter.

Should just quit while he's behind... And Mike should send his ass packing but of course, he'll let him finish out the season with a locker room full of players who no longer respect him. Makes perfect sense Whatever
Reply/Quote
I think it's safe to say you can forget the "good" before riddance when it comes to Marvins exit. A sad ending to an era.

Riddance.... Don't let the door hit ya.....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 06:09 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Strong words here from A.J. Green and basically, no one believes the head coach after that PR fiasco on Sunday and Monday.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/12/20/how-cincinnati-bengals-head-coach-marvin-lewis-bungled-his-message/970439001/

One article said the Bengals Front Office was caught by surprise at what Lewis said and that they may have expected Lewis to possibly enter into contract negotiations after the season to remain as Head Coach.

If the above is true, then the ball was in Lewis' court as whether to return or not.

Lewis may have back peddled from his comments because he wants to keep the option of him returning on the table.

Maybe he said to much or said which way he was Leaning, however, he is still indecisive about what he is really going to do.

Possibly trying to keep all of his options in place by back peddling and calling the story untrue ?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 06:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Publicly lobbying for an extension in January (claiming his assistants could use the peace of mind).
Calling out Hill and Ross publicly.
Having what seems almost like a grudge against Ross. (Rumors that he didn't want even want to draft Ross)
Telling the press of his intentions before even telling his own players.

It's been an interesting year for Marvin Lewis, and IMO he's coming off as a selfish guy who is only concerned with his own career.

Yeah, I was thinking this the other day after Ross posted the video of his practices.  A year or two ago people would definitely still debated his coaching ability but never really his character.  After this year his character can now definitely be in question imo.
Reply/Quote
This whole thing just really baffles me.

Marvin Lewis is going to be unemployed in about 2 weeks. Why on earth WOULDN'T he try to pursue a career or opportunity outside of the Bengals organization? He's a lame duck right now and doesn't have a future with the Bengals after this season. Hes not under contract.

Everyone has their panties in a bunch but Marvin isn't under contract to be an employee of the Bengals in 2 weeks. I just dont get why this is such a shock to everyone.

Marvin should have just came out and owned it and said the above when he was asked about it after the game. I would have had zero problem with it. Him lying about it is what pisses me off more than anything.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Hey Merv., don't let the door hit you on the way out! What a piece of s***. I don't think Marvin has always been this slimy, but damn. Can't even tell your own players that you're leaving town before ESPN handed you a few Benjamin's to spill the beans to them first? F*** YOU. And the whole Ross thing: Selfish... I hope JR proves a lot of doubters wrong next year and makes Marvin look even more of an a**. BYE!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 06:31 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: What a mess.

Yep..that about sums it up.

We know Marvin is not a particularly innovative , brave or charismatic coach - I've never felt he gave us a particular competitive advantage.

However I never doubted his integrity or loyalty but this whole scenario is not reflecting well on him at all.

I've got to think he regrets how this has played out ...and if AJ Green is talking like that (fairly diplomatically) to the press then i think there's probably a fair bit of resentment simmering in that locker room
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 06:38 PM)depthchart Wrote: One article said the Bengals Front Office was caught by surprise at what Lewis said and that they may have expected Lewis to possibly enter into contract negotiations after the season to remain as Head Coach.

If the above is true, then the ball was in Lewis' court as whether to return or not.

Lewis may have back peddled from his comments because he wants to keep the option of him returning on the table.

Maybe he said to much or said which way he was Leaning, however, he is still indecisive about what he is really going to do.

Possibly trying to keep all of his options in place by back peddling and calling the story untrue ?

I don't know why anyone here would be surprised if he did this.  After the 2010 season he publicly stated he wasn't going to remain the coach here unless certain changes were made and then he caved-in and stuck around for another blissful 7 (at least!) seasons.  This time if he says he's going to go and then sticks around we might not have a player demanding a trade to take the attention off of it.

Marvin's done this before, folks.  Prepare yourself for the worst, just in case.
Reply/Quote
If there is the slightest chance of him returning it’s too much.
Reply/Quote
Good article, Jim, thanks.

That said, I have to say I disagree with that bit at the end that Marvin will be the "most successful coach in franchise history". When the Bengals inevitably lose out (the last two weeks have shown zero sign that they won't), Marvin will be exactly 2 games over .500 overall (123-121-3) with a HORRIBLE primetime record, HORRIBLE Steelers record, and the worst ever postseason record in NFL history. His team also always looked ill-prepared against good teams, and halftime adjustments were mere journalistic jargon, despite other teams crushing his with them. That is hardly the most successful when you finish 2 over .500 and 0 postseason wins in 15 years.

Sam Wyche and Forrest Gregg are still more successful coaches than Marvin Lewis. Both took the Bengals to a SB (their only two) and account for all 5 of the franchise's postseason wins. Gregg finished 7 over .500 (34-27). Wyche might have finished 4 under .500 overall (64-68), but would you prefer 4 under .500 and a SB apperance, or 2 over .500 and 0 postseason wins?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 07:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't know why anyone here would be surprised if he did this.  After the 2010 season he publicly stated he wasn't going to remain the coach here unless certain changes were made and then he caved-in and stuck around for another blissful 7 (at least!) seasons.  This time if he says he's going to go and then sticks around we might not have a player demanding a trade to take the attention off of it.

Marvin's done this before, folks.  Prepare yourself for the worst, just in case.

What better way for Marvin to "Prove" the Report of him saying he was leaving was False than for him to stay.   Tongue

Marvin could stick it to Adam Schefter by signing a 2 year extension with the Bengals. Thus saving face.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 07:29 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: If there is the slightest chance of him returning it’s too much.

Marvin won't come back. If he does, I'm sure he knows he can expect to be pelted with garbage, eggs, bricks etc every time he steps out of his house. So I'm not too worried about it.

It's quite clear the city of Cincinnati is done with him, and it seems he's likely done there as well. Marv may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but coming back is not something even he would be dumb enough to do *knocks repeatedly on wood*  Nervous Nervous Nervous

It's in the best interest for both parties to move on.
Reply/Quote
Mike and Marvin had that one bizarre contract moment years back. Is this just a carry over of the same thing going on....looking bad publicly again...
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 07:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Good article, Jim, thanks.

That said, I have to say I disagree with that bit at the end that Marvin will be the "most successful coach in franchise history". When the Bengals inevitably lose out (the last two weeks have shown zero sign that they won't), Marvin will be exactly 2 games over .500 overall (123-121-3) with a HORRIBLE primetime record, HORRIBLE Steelers record, and the worst ever postseason record in NFL history. His team also always looked ill-prepared against good teams, and halftime adjustments were mere journalistic jargon, despite other teams crushing his with them. That is hardly the most successful when you finish 2 over .500 and 0 postseason wins in 15 years.

Sam Wyche and Forrest Gregg are still more successful coaches than Marvin Lewis. Both took the Bengals to a SB (their only two) and account for all 5 of the franchise's postseason wins.  Gregg finished 7 over .500 (34-27). Wyche might have finished 4 under .500 overall (64-68), but would you prefer 4 under .500 and a SB apperance, or 2 over .500 and 0 postseason wins?

Couldn't agree more on the "success" of Marvin,

No one outside of the Cincinnati area would describe Marvin Lewis's 15 years here as a success story ! It's a giant laugher

In 15 seasons ML has exactly 2 wins at PBS against the Steelers, that's success ? against our biggest rival, letting them own our house and this is a success story ? whateve

I would bet very large money, if I had it, there's no NFL teams out there studying the Bengals model to emulate their "success"

Just let it be over please, I'm praying
Reply/Quote
Scoot over cause I'm sliding in beside you.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 07:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Good article, Jim, thanks.

Sam Wyche and Forrest Gregg are still more successful coaches than Marvin Lewis. Both took the Bengals to a SB (their only two) and account for all 5 of the franchise's postseason wins. Gregg finished 7 over .500 (34-27). Wyche might have finished 4 under .500 overall (64-68), but would you prefer 4 under .500 and a SB apperance, or 2 over .500 and 0 postseason wins?

He is considered the "most successful" because he has the most wins. He has the most wins because Mike tolerated his mediocrity for far too long because Mike makes the decision making process of a snail seem hurried.

You ask Bengals' fan which coach would they prefer between Paul Brown, Sam Wyche, Forrest Gregg, or Marvin Lewis and Marvin finishes last.
Reply/Quote