Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Much Will Mixon Produce When He Returns?
How good do you think Mixon will be when he gets back?

I'm in a PPR league and I have Mixon but it looks like I am a block to make the playoffs, and, since it's a 10-team league, my playoffs are weeks 15 and 16.

Week 15 is then Steelers, who have given up the 2nd fewest ppg to running backs but then Houston in week 16, and they're giving up the 2nd most!

How do you think he'll play when he returns?
Reply/Quote
Personally, with the loss of Burrow, I think he's shut it down. Just like JB, see ya next year...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 09:07 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Personally, with the loss of Burrow, I think he's shut it down. Just like JB, see ya next year...

This.

Not much good can come from playing him.  Too much risk, very little reward.

Plus, I wouldn't mind getting Perrine and Williams some carries.  Might as well see what you have there.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 09:07 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Personally, with the loss of Burrow, I think he's shut it down. Just like JB, see ya next year...

(12-02-2020, 09:15 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This.

Plus, I wouldn't mind getting Perrine and Williams some carries.  Might as well see what you have there.

I'm 100% in agreement with you guys.
Reply/Quote
I question his commitment. Keep him floored or trade him in hopes your week 15-16 opponents pick him up and enter their rosters to your benefit.

Reply/Quote
I think he could have a big game against the cowboys (week 14) but can't see much more than that.
Reply/Quote
Does it really matter? Even with 3rd string backup QBs, Zac doesn't know how to balance the running game. I'm sure whatever QB starts Sunday will have 30+ attempts. And the run plays will be as uninspired as they've always been.
Reply/Quote
I picked up Mixon in the 2nd round as well. Had one good game this year. I’m not sure if he will play the rest of the way. If he plays well against the Steelers, I’ll probably put him in as a flex against Dallas. If he doesn’t play against the Steelers but makes his return against Dallas, I’m not sure if I’ll play him or not. Seems logical they shut him down for the year, but Zac might be trying to go all out against Dallas to save his job—which is sadly safe even if we lose out.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 03:56 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Does it really matter? Even with 3rd string backup QBs, Zac doesn't know how to balance the running game. I'm sure whatever QB starts Sunday will have 30+ attempts. And the run plays will be as uninspired as they've always been.

It wouldn't floor me if ZT went pass-heavy for the rest of the season because:

1. it's what he normally does
2. he needs to evaluate our backup QB situation
3. he's going to be playing from behind and we know he loves to score when the game is functionally over
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 09:15 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This.

I think we know what Perine gives.
He's a thumper with not much wiggle.
He kind of reminds me of a FB honestly given his size (5'11", 240 lbs).
TBH, I'd kind of like to see him in a FB role who can occasionally run and catch the ball along with trying to lead block.

I think Trayveon is the bigger unknown, so I'd love to see him, especially given he put up over 2000 yards from scrimmage and 19 total TDs his final year in college. I think dude can ball, just needs opportunities.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 04:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It wouldn't floor me if ZT went pass-heavy for the rest of the season because:

1. it's what he normally does
2. he needs to evaluate our backup QB situation
3. he's going to be playing from behind and we know he loves to score when the game is functionally over

Anyone with eyes and a quick look at their resumes for this year and 2019 can see that neither Finley nor Allen deserve the be a QB in the NFL. Nothing more to evaluate IMO.

Let's try to turn this offense into a run-oriented offense and see if this OL can actually drive off the ball in prep for 2021.
EDIT - I only mean for the rest of the year to focus on the run game. I did not mean to imply turning the offense into a run-oriented offense for 2021. Just that there might be things to focus on with the remaining games this year that can be carried over into 2021.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 05:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Anyone with eyes and a quick look at their resumes for this year and 2019 can see that neither Finley nor Allen deserve the be a QB in the NFL. Nothing more to evaluate IMO.

This ^^^
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 08:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How good do you think Mixon will be when he gets back?

I'm in a PPR league and I have Mixon but it looks like I am a block to make the playoffs, and, since it's a 10-team league, my playoffs are weeks 15 and 16.

Week 15 is then Steelers, who have given up the 2nd fewest ppg to running backs but then Houston in week 16, and they're giving up the 2nd most!

I've read on Bengals.com or some other site that with Burrow out, if Mixon comes back for last game or 2. they won't play him and take chance of quick re-injury.  They will save him for next season.   I think that makes sense since this season is in the toilet with few games left, and Covid of no fans in stands.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 10:48 PM)kevin Wrote: I've read on Bengals.com or some other site that with Burrow out, if Mixon comes back for last game or 2. they won't play him and take chance of quick re-injury.  They will save him for next season.   I think that makes sense since this season is in the toilet with few games left, and Covid of no fans in stands.  

Personally, I'd rather they put him on a shelf the rest of the year. Why run the risk of making it a nagging injury? We're in a skid anyway, why finish the season with a few more yards and run the risk of having a runningback issue next season? We're not playing for a playoff spot, so we aren't playing for much of anything.
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 10:48 PM)kevin Wrote: I've read on Bengals.com or some other site that with Burrow out, if Mixon comes back for last game or 2. they won't play him and take chance of quick re-injury.  They will save him for next season.   I think that makes sense since this season is in the toilet with few games left, and Covid of no fans in stands.  

Here's the article from yesterday, which sounds completely opposite: https://www.bengals.com/news/taylor-made-takes-notes-on-leadership-from-defense-and-special-teams

(Key: GH = HopSpin, ZT = NutZac)

GH: Would there be any point where you would just shelve him for the rest of the year? Have you reached that point yet?
ZT: No. I think we're in the process of letting that foot heal. He's got two more weeks on injured reserve. We just continue to evaluate where he's after that IR period.
GH: Could you envision him playing this year?
ZT: Absolutely I could.
GH: Some would say, why risk him?
ZT: I think you have to make sure he's fully healed. We would never do anything to compromise someone's health. We've got two weeks to see how it heals and if he's able to come back.
GH: Right now, it doesn't look like he needs surgery, right?
ZT: Correct.
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 01:02 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: GH: Right now, it doesn't look like he needs surgery, right?

So that means there is a 99.9% chance that Mixon needs/gets surgery before the start of next season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-04-2020, 01:02 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Here's the article from yesterday, which sounds completely opposite: https://www.bengals.com/news/taylor-made-takes-notes-on-leadership-from-defense-and-special-teams

(Key: GH = HopSpin, ZT = NutZac)

GH: Would there be any point where you would just shelve him for the rest of the year? Have you reached that point yet?
ZT: No. I think we're in the process of letting that foot heal. He's got two more weeks on injured reserve. We just continue to evaluate where he's after that IR period.
GH: Could you envision him playing this year?
ZT: Absolutely I could.
GH: Some would say, why risk him?
ZT: I think you have to make sure he's fully healed. We would never do anything to compromise someone's health. We've got two weeks to see how it heals and if he's able to come back.
GH: Right now, it doesn't look like he needs surgery, right?

I have come to recognize that ZT is full of shit. It really doesn't matter what dribble comes out of his mouth. If he doesn't know the answer to a question, he just makes something up.

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2020, 08:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How good do you think Mixon will be when he gets back?

No one cares about Fantasy Football except the person playing fantasy football. 
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2020, 11:25 PM)Benton Wrote: Personally, I'd rather they put him on a shelf the rest of the year. Why run the risk of making it a nagging injury? We're in a skid anyway, why finish the season with a few more yards and run the risk of having a runningback issue next season? We're not playing for a playoff spot, so we aren't playing for much of anything.

Agree let Perine and Williams finish the season.
Reply/Quote
I know this thread is in regards to what he might contribute for fantasy football purposes in 2020, but I want to go one step further and look at 2021 and beyond.

Joe Mixon's cap hit and dead money if cut that year:
2021: $10.7 mill, $16 mill dead money
2022: $10.7 mill, $6 mill dead money
2023: $12.1 mill, $4 mill dead money
2024: $12.3 mill, $2 mill dead money

So basically, Mixon will be kept through next year at least.
However, there's a potential out starting in 2022, as the Bengals can save quite a bit of cap if he isn't producing enough.

Cap saved if cut in 2022:
2022 - $4.7 mill
2023 - $12.1 mill
2024 - $12.3 mill

Cap saved if cut in 2023:
2023 - $8.1 mill
2024 - $12.3 mill

Cap saved if cut in 2024 - $10.3 mill
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!