Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How SHOULD Chase be used in the offense?
A better (and less antagonistic to other forum posters) question than the "regret" or "bust" stuff is how should he be used in the offense?

My understanding of why we took him was he has the tools to stretch a defense vertically, leading to more running room and less defenses sitting on the run and the short routes. So they should be playing him at X and calling the appropriate posts and other deeper routes to leverage his strong points.

For some strange reason, in preseason games they constantly sent him on shallow routes that were frequently in the middle. The only time they actually let him get into space (albeit in the backfield) he gained 16 yards - all the others were in traffic. That and pulling not only him but the first team offense way too fast in all three game means they are still rusty going into games that count.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You see those deep outs he keeps running in camp and catching on the sideline? Yea, keep doing that. Then expand off that with some out and ups and posts. I’d actually use him more in the medium to deep game than short, reason being if he’s scared of immediate contact when catching the ball he can be protected a bit more by the routes.
Reply/Quote
Deep routes, but I believe they're going to have to bring him along slowly first few games.
Reply/Quote
As a distraction while Higgins, Boyd, and Mixon are soaking up touches. And as Burrow's best friend when plays break down with a psychic connection for big plays.
Reply/Quote
I tend to agree - send him out deep. And I would do it now as out there he is not in traffic and more likely to keep his concentration.
Reply/Quote
Like a number 3 receiver.
Reply/Quote
Blocking tight end?
Reply/Quote
If you watch any tape from LSU you’ll see almost all of Ja’Marr Chase’s touchdown passes thrown by Joe Burrow were made on routes outside the numbers; the closer to the sideline the better. That’s the true Burrow to Chase connection, not bubble screens or short slants. Leave it to Zac Taylor to jam a square peg into a round hole.
Reply/Quote
Go deep, hopefully Zac will not be afraid to have Burrow throw bombs to Chase and throw it often, seems that's where Chase is good at, 20+ yrds plus. He probably catches better the "soft" landing balls from far away than the quicker, bullet throws Boyd is used to catching. Fair enough, hopefully our HC has the instinct to exploit and take advantage of Chase's talent.
Reply/Quote
I'm sorry. There are some ridiculous responses here. Are we seriously blaming Taylor on giving Chase easier, higher percentage targets. Really? Deep posts/outs easier than a screen pass straight into your hands?! Nonsense. I can understand he is probably very talented attacking a ball whilst on the move. Fine. But him having a woeful preseason is only on Chase and no one else. He should be used however Taylor sees fit because ultimately good receivers will get the job done. If he wants to play in the league for a decade plus he will need to catch some slants. Sorry.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 07:15 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: I'm sorry. There are some ridiculous responses here. Are we seriously blaming Taylor on giving Chase easier, higher percentage targets. Really? 

yes. 

Because it's easier to blame the head coach who has 6 wins in 2 seasons

(even though Boyd and Higgins are used just fine in this offense)

Im already starting to see the excuse "well Jamarr is pretty much only a down the side line receiver"

which is weird because if you believe that, how can you justify that with the number 5 pick?

This board is going insane and I love it
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 07:15 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: I'm sorry. There are some ridiculous responses here. Are we seriously blaming Taylor on giving Chase easier, higher percentage targets. Really? Deep posts/outs easier than a screen pass straight into your hands?! Nonsense. I can understand he is probably very talented attacking a ball whilst on the move. Fine. But him having a woeful preseason is only on Chase and no one else. He should be used however Taylor sees fit because ultimately good receivers will get the job done. If he wants to play in the league for a decade plus he will need to catch some slants. Sorry.

Actually the responses are NOT ridiculous. They respond properly to the question of how Chase SHOULD be used in the offense. And drafting a receiver whose specialty and elite place is working outside the hashes then having 100% of his preseason game passes be short and in the middle is perplexing. Use him for what he was elite at in college and extend the field. 
Reply/Quote
Appears he can't catch or run an entire route tree. So send him deep to open the other 2 that can.

Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 07:24 PM)ah5 Wrote: Appears he can't catch or run an entire route tree.  So send him deep to open the other 2 that can.

Again has nothing to do with the question - how SHOULD Chase be used in the offense? Whether you like the pick or not has nothing to do with it. Whether he has struggled likewise is not the issue. Given his college profile and record how should the offense be using him?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 07:23 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually the responses are NOT ridiculous. They respond properly to the question of how Chase SHOULD be used in the offense. And drafting a receiver whose specialty and elite place is working outside the hashes then having 100% of his preseason game passes be short and in the middle is perplexing. Use him for what he was elite at in college and extend the field. 

Yeah and he will be. It was preseason. Why is this topic getting so much traction, its baffling. If you keep analysing such small sample sizes you're more than likely going to come to the wrong conclusions on anything in life.

He had a bad preseason. Whatever. Move on. Lots of rookies do. Jefferson had a poor camp last year.

We drafted Chase as a complete receiver so why would Taylor look to use him in a restrained manner? 

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 07:28 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Yeah and he will be. It was preseason. Why is this topic getting so much traction, its baffling. If you keep analysing such small sample sizes you're more than likely going to come to the wrong conclusions on anything in life.

He had a bad preseason. Whatever. Move on. Lots of rookies do. Jefferson had a poor camp last year.

We drafted Chase as a complete receiver so why would Taylor look to use him in a restrained manner? 

The point is ZT DID use him in a restrained manner. Everything thrown to him was either a screen or a short throw to the middle. 

The traction is as much a problem of some here trolling threads trying to cause trouble as it is people wanting to actually discuss football. For example I am asking people to think schematically - with his skillset what do you do with him in the offense.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 07:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: Again has nothing to do with the question - how SHOULD Chase be used in the offense? Whether you like the pick or not has nothing to do with it. Whether he has struggled likewise is not the issue. Given his college profile and record how should the offense be using him?
Let's start by him catching a pass.....

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 07:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: The point is ZT DID use him in a restrained manner. Everything thrown to him was either a screen or a short throw to the middle. 

The traction is as much a problem of some here trolling threads trying to cause trouble as it is people wanting to actually discuss football. For example I am asking people to think schematically - with his skillset what do you do with him in the offense.

Ja'Marr Chase was used and caught plenty of slants at LSU. He wasn't used as much in screens but he has the ability to be a productive running them. 

Chase will run a complete route tree. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 07:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: The point is ZT DID use him in a restrained manner. Everything thrown to him was either a screen or a short throw to the middle. 

Yes that's fair mate. I'm just saying in a full season he will get many different looks. 

Ultimately what is likely to happen is Boyd will work the slot, Uzomah the seam and short game, Higgins will get intermediate outside hashes and contested targets and Chase will be the dynamic weapon. Chase is likely to see more deep targets, creative sweeps, wr screens etc. Which is why his drops were a shame.

I just don't think it's a big deal or a strategic mistake from ZT. Chase dropped balls he should have caught. Simple as that. 

We can create a thread at the end of the season if after 17 games he continually drops targets. 

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 07:40 PM)Synric Wrote: Chase will run a complete route tree. 

as he should.

He's the 5th overall pick.
Reply/Quote