Poll: How Will This Team Shoot Themselves In The Foot This Year?
Ignorant Penalties including 'After Whistle Penalties'
Offensive Failure
Defensive Failure
Coaching Errors
Lack of Discipline
Lack of Mental Toughness
Inability To Finish
Two or More Above (Explain)
Other (Explain)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
How Will This Team Shoot Themselves In The Foot This Year?
1. Ignorant Penalties including 'After Whistle Penalties'

2. Offensive Failure

3. Defensive Failure

4. Coaching Errors

5. Lack of Discipline

6. Lack of Mental Toughness

7. Inability to Finish

8. Two or More of the Above (Explain)

9. Other (Explain)
Reply/Quote
I think the defense is gonna be fast and stellar this year. Top 10 most likely.

The downfall I believe will be an AD injury due to poor o-line play.
Reply/Quote
I don't think the team will shoot itself in the foot this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If there's one thing we can count on from a Marvin Lewis coached team it's inevitable heartbreak. So, for that reason alone, I voted for coaching errors (I consider any mental lapses or bulls*** on the field as a reflection of the coaching)
Reply/Quote
o-line if anything
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I don't think it will cost them the Championship run I envision, but my vote was "other" and my reason is "Lack of Aggression".

If they don't attack, or put people away when they have them down, they will never develop the "kill" mentality to finish off a struggling opponent that will be necessary to advance in the playoffs.

Attack. Finish. Keep the throttle down. Whatever lame shirt you need to make this year, Marv, it has to be a mindset of finishing off an opponent.
Reply/Quote
I'll take coaching errors for a thousand Alex.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I voted "2 or more".

I believe there will be three...
Offensive failures (specifically the OL)
Coaching errors (specifically lack of aggressiveness to try to score points during the final two minutes of 2Q, using timeouts too early)
Lack of discipline (There are always stupid things certain players do to get personal fouls called against them. I'm banking on Adam Jones mainly.)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Bingo! DingDing

[Image: 1rwqc7.jpg]

Reply/Quote
We've done all those. We're gonna have to be creative this year
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2017, 10:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I voted "2 or more".

Coaching errors (specifically lack of aggressiveness to try to score points during the final two minutes of 2Q, using timeouts too early)
Lack of discipline (There are always stupid things certain players do to get personal fouls called against them. I'm banking on Adam Jones mainly.)

I went with lack of discipline, but considered all those you mentioned for the same reasons. If history has taught us anything it's that the above 3 points are all but guaranteed to rear their ugly heads again this year.
Reply/Quote
I have my ideas, but I'll reserve them until (unless?) I start hearing about bullshit like ping pong and pokemon.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2017, 10:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I voted "2 or more".

I actually voted for three others besides coaching errors, but I felt they came under the category of coaching errors....lack of discipline, lack of mental toughness, and inability to finish (the season in the playoffs)

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I voted 2 or more. I'm going with o-line issues and coaching errors.

I do like the influx of new offensive talent and the fact that we have no prime-time games (other than TNF).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
After years and years of disappointment, this is what we the fans of the Cincinnati Bengals are reduced to.

When there's even the slightest hint of excitement, whenever we get to that point of believing this team may just be ok, have a winning season or go to the playoffs, always in the back of our minds, pushing its way to the front are those memories of disappointment and our excitement is turned to fear and loathing.

So, what will be the Bengals downfall this year?

They're the Bengals, that's all we need to know.
Reply/Quote
Got to be something more creative like all our best players getting arrested the day of the playoffs for something really dumb like, I dunno..pissing off the bridge over the river in plain sight.... I could see that happening..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis is the coach man

Were gonna shoot ourselves in the foot alot
Reply/Quote
We were REALLY hoping for some addition by subtraction last year (Eifert, Hue, Sanu, Jones) and this year our bad o-line loses two guys that are at least good enough for teams with GM's to want to pay. Ida know...that o-line might be all it takes to sink us.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2017, 08:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't think it will cost them the Championship run I envision, but my vote was "other" and my reason is "Lack of Aggression".  

If they don't attack, or put people away when they have them down, they will never develop the "kill" mentality to finish off a struggling opponent that will be necessary to advance in the playoffs.

Attack. Finish.  Keep the throttle down.  Whatever lame shirt you need to make this year, Marv, it has to be a mindset of finishing off an opponent.

This year's lame shirt phrase should be "Step on the throat".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2017, 09:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This year's lame shirt phrase should be "Step on the throat".

Good one!

I remember a couple of quotes from Marv, the early years, and I was thinking: "YES!  This is the attitude we need!". 

He said something to the effect (can't remember exact words) of "we need to punch someone in the back of the head".  I laughed, because I don't know why he chose that spot, but I liked it.

Also, he said "If you crowd the line, you better be able to cover, because we can throw it over your head"...I think that was before Palmer's first start against the Jets.

Regardless what he says in interviews, he needs to show his team on the field being aggressive.  I have long believed that you will get more out of your players when they are put in positions to make plays.  The game is simply more fun that way.  That is one small reason why Rex Ryan (mostly) excelled as a DC, and his players loved playing for him, but he would be the complete opposite as HC when it came to his offenses....boring, and predictable.  
Reply/Quote