Poll: How Will This Team Shoot Themselves In The Foot This Year?
Ignorant Penalties including 'After Whistle Penalties'
Offensive Failure
Defensive Failure
Coaching Errors
Lack of Discipline
Lack of Mental Toughness
Inability To Finish
Two or More Above (Explain)
Other (Explain)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
How Will This Team Shoot Themselves In The Foot This Year?
(07-05-2017, 11:56 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Even if MB fires Lewis, do you truly trust who he picks next?  I mean, come on, look at his track record.  HCs and players have come and gone since 1991.  MB is the only constant!!

Exactly.  Brown trusts Lewis more than he has trusted any other coach.  So what is need is for Marvin to get better.  Show more confidence in big games and trust the talent of his players.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2017, 01:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So in the Chargers loss, AJ gets a pass on a perfectly thrown ball in the endzone only to watch it go through his hands? A defense that couldn't stop the leagues worst rushing attack??

From what I've seen on these boards over the years (going back to Palmer), and football talk in general, the QB is expected to play a perfect game and needs to compensate for others' mistakes.....including the coaching.  I'm not saying that about the poster you quoted, but I've seen plenty of that talk elsewhere.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2017, 11:36 AM)bonesaw Wrote: We've done all those. We're gonna have to be creative this year

Literally pull out guns, and shoot themselves in their feet...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
If Marvin can't find a way, he'll make a way...
Reply/Quote
The whole premise of this thread is negative. Anybody ever heard of the phrase you create your own reality?
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2017, 04:16 PM)Beaker Wrote: The whole premise of this thread is negative. Anybody ever heard of the phrase you create your own reality?

Yes... And unfortunately, the Bengals have created their own reality. A reality where "negativity" is realistic.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2017, 09:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This year's lame shirt phrase should be "Step on the throat".

The way our o-line could get pushed around I'm not sure the throat we'll be stepping on won't be Dalton's.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2017, 01:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So in the Chargers loss, AJ gets a pass on a perfectly thrown ball in the endzone only to watch it go through his hands? A defense that couldn't stop the leagues worst rushing attack??

I've critiqued the SD game plenty and we shutdown the Chargers running attack down (around 3YPC if memory serves) until less that 3 minutes remaining in the game and we had to sell out and try to get the ball back on D because our last 4 offensive series had resulted in 2 INTs and 2 turnover on downs. So to say we couldn't stop the rushing attack is just silly. 

Our QB was responsible for 3 Turnovers has a passer rating of 67 (sadly a career high), our runner rushed for over 4 YPC, our D held a top 10 D in check until they were gassed in the 4th from getting zero offensive help.

You tell who most rational folks would pin that loss on. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I just want a Marvin Lewis Offense to have a "Punch you in the mouth" never let off the gas type attitude. Our offensive demeanor seems to be a mirror image of Marvin. Sure we have some great players in Green, Dalton, Gio etc. but are we too quiet? Too laid back? Too nice? I want this team to show some damn fire on offense. Tired of the conservative, predictable "Oh Well" Marvin approach. If this line gels and I know it's a big IF, we could be looking at a very exciting and special offense this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2017, 05:18 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yes... And unfortunately, the Bengals have created their own reality. A reality where "negativity" is realistic.

Negativity is never "realistic"...or productive.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2017, 10:06 PM)Beaker Wrote: Negativity is never "realistic"...or productive.

Unless the track record of the MB era is overturned, history doesn't lie and it is what it is.

There is as much 'expectation' for 'losing' in Cincinnati, as there is 'expectation' for 'winning' in Boston.

I say this EVERY year, and I will say it again, "I hope I'm wrong, but I haven't been 26 years and running!"  (I'm one of the few in here that hopes I AM wrong!!)  Wink
Reply/Quote
I voted other. This year, Andy will let his true Texas show through, and in a celebration, he will pull out two revolvers and start shooting, shooting Eifert, Green, and himself in the foot.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2017, 10:38 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Unless the track record of the MB era is overturned, history doesn't lie and it is what it is.

There is as much 'expectation' for 'losing' in Cincinnati, as there is 'expectation' for 'winning' in Boston.

I say this EVERY year, and I will say it again, "I hope I'm wrong, but I haven't been 26 years and running!"  (I'm one of the few in here that hopes I AM wrong!!)  Wink

You're not alone. I've been begging for Marvin to prove me wrong for almost ten years now. 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2017, 11:28 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: 1. Ignorant Penalties including 'After Whistle Penalties'

2. Offensive Failure

3. Defensive Failure

4. Coaching Errors

5. Lack of Discipline

6. Lack of Mental Toughness

7. Inability to Finish

8. Two or More of the Above (Explain)

9. Other (Explain)
I voted #9 - Other - as in possibly All of the Above. depending on the game.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2017, 04:16 PM)Beaker Wrote: The whole premise of this thread is negative. Anybody ever heard of the phrase you create your own reality?

And, where have you been since 1968?
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2017, 02:01 PM)Derrick Wrote: And, where have you been since 1968?

One place I have not been is sitting around expecting my team to lose.
Reply/Quote

Real life doesn't work that way. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2017, 05:46 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Real life doesn't work that way. 

Real life works exactly that way.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2017, 10:06 PM)Beaker Wrote: Negativity is never "realistic"...or productive.

How I or anyone else here views this team, be it in a positive or negative light, has nothing to do with how the team performs.

Believe it or not, I consider myself a very upbeat and positive person for the most part. But when it comes to cheering for one of the worst run franchises in sports history, please forgive me if I'm a little skeptical. 
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 12:21 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: How I or anyone else here views this team, be it in a positive or negative light, has nothing to do with how the team performs.

Believe it or not, I consider myself a very upbeat and positive person for the most part. But when it comes to cheering for one of the worst run franchises in sports history, please forgive me if I'm a little skeptical. 

Skepticism is realistic.....flat out negativity is damaging and unproductive. There is a wide difference in being skeptical as to if we will win a certain game, given circumstances such as injuries, or the other team being on a roll, and flat out negativity believing that something bad will happen before the season even begins.

I truly believe the universe gives you exactly what you ask for. And that is multiplied by the number of people believing the same way. If there are countless fans (both at the game and watching at home) believing in their hearts that the team is going to blow it, guess what usually happens? Ask a browns fan their thoughts after a "snatching a loss out of the jaws of victory game", they will usually admit they were just waiting for their team to find a way to blow it.

So I do believe our negativity has an impact...both in a workings of the universe kind of way, and a player mindset kind of way. It is damaging. Being positive is ALWAYS the better option.
Reply/Quote