Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about this scenario?
(01-11-2019, 10:27 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Zac Taylor becomes HC. His brother Press comes over from the Eagles to be OC. The Bengals trade Andy and a draft pick to the Eagles for Nick Foles. Bengals win Super Bowl with a QB who already has a SB win. Perfect scenario. Amirite?

Why would the Eagles want Dalton to backup Wentz?
Reply/Quote
Why not trade something or someone else for Foles?

We roll with Dalton then yank his ass out at the end of the season.

Superbowlz !

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The quarterback is the most important position in team sports, period.

Andy was a nice surprise. He provided stability, has had flashes of very solid play, but he is safe, limited, and not getting any better.

The NFL is changing. You need a dynamic, athletic QB who can make all of the throws, on the run, and continue to learn, adapt and grow.

Andy is not a top Qb. He is not athletic. He is not creating plays or extending plays for the team.

He has been fine; but being afraid of a new Qb because Andy has been mediocre is the same problem we had w/ keeping marvin 6 years too long.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 12:00 AM)TrevBengal Wrote: The quarterback is the most important position in team sports, period.

Andy was a nice surprise.  He provided stability, has had flashes of very solid play, but he is safe, limited, and not getting any better.

The NFL is changing. You need a dynamic, athletic QB who can make all of the throws, on the run, and continue to learn, adapt and grow.

Andy is not a top Qb.  He is not athletic.  He is not creating plays or extending plays for the team.  

He has been fine; but being afraid of a new Qb because Andy has been mediocre is the same problem we had w/ keeping marvin 6 years too long.

I disagree.

A great QB has excellent footwork in the pocket, good field vision with eye discipline, accurate with touch, and makes quick decisions.

Drew Brees is probably the perfect example. The man has the best footwork I've seen in football.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 12:22 AM)Synric Wrote: I disagree.

A great QB has excellent footwork in the pocket, good field vision with eye discipline, accurate with touch, and makes quick decisions.

Drew Brees is probably the perfect example. The man has the best footwork I've seen in football.

Well Andy doesnt have those qualities either 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 12:24 AM)TrevBengal Wrote: Well Andy doesnt have those qualities either 

But replacing a QB isnt a easy thing to do...This year there are 3 big maybes. 

Haskins looks perfect inside the Ohio State system but anytime a defense gets him off his spot its ugly. Daniel Jones looks like everything you want in a QB but does he have the arm to put it in tight windows down field. And honestly I haven't seen much of Drew Lock to offer an opinion.

Senior Bowl will be big this year because alot of the QBs will be there...pretty much all of them but Haskins.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 12:22 AM)Synric Wrote: I disagree.

Andy is a "good serviceable QB". He's a good guy. I really like him. But he doesn't have that wow factor. Does Nick Foles? Maybe not. But he can win the big games. He's won the biggest game.  
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 12:36 AM)BengalRed Wrote: Andy is a "good serviceable QB". He's a good guy. I really like him. But he doesn't have that wow factor. Does Nick Foles? Maybe not. But he can win the big games. He's won the biggest game.  

Jeff Hostetler was one of those great playoff backup QBs with a ring...He was still awful during the regular season.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 10:27 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Zac Taylor becomes HC. His brother Press comes over from the Eagles to be OC. The Bengals trade Andy and a draft pick to the Eagles for Nick Foles. Bengals win Super Bowl with a QB who already has a SB win. Perfect scenario. Amirite?

I am a Dalton supporter but would not be against this. Whatever Taylor wants is what i am for.

We need to change and who knows if all the meh of Marv destroyed Dalton?

But on the other hand what if Dalton turns into elite under Taylor?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 07:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am a Dalton supporter but would not be against this. Whatever Taylor wants is what i am for.

We need to change and who knows if all the meh of Marv destroyed Dalton?

But on the other hand what if Dalton turns into elite under Taylor?

Good answer. I like Andy a lot and really wonder if he will become an elite QB under a new system and if everyone stays healthy. Probably the two main keys to that are if Eifert stays healthy and if Ross finally lives up to what we hoped he would be. If the O line could just be adequate it's hard telling how far this team could go if all those conditions were to come together. But then if a frog had hip pockets he'd carry a 22 around to keep the snakes off.

I only started this about Foles because I got all caught up in the change everything meme. TBT I'd love to see Andy succeed. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 07:36 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Good answer. I like Andy a lot and really wonder if he will become an elite QB under a new system and if everyone stays healthy. Probably the two main keys to that are if Eifert stays healthy and if Ross finally lives up to what we hoped he would be. If the O line could just be adequate it's hard telling how far this team could go if all those conditions were to come together. But then if a frog had hip pockets he'd carry a 22 around to keep the snakes off.

I only started this about Foles because I got all caught up in the change everything meme. TBT I'd love to see Andy succeed. 

Who knows with a new HC. This change has been long overdue and it is not like Dalton is some hack or something, he has talent, is very smart, accurate can make all the throws and has the 2nd quickest release in the league. With a decent O-line in front of him and now with an elite Back in Mixon i think we could be one tough Offense under Taylor.

Marv stuck his nose in the Offense and it was not his strong suit, he was a Defensive coach.

I think this is a big fact that some forget.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 11:47 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Good points. Andy's never been good in the playoffs. Five years ago when they played the Chargers they should have easily won that game. Andy was awful. 

So was everyone else not named BenJarvis Green-Ellis. The thing is, Nick Foles has actually been in the NFL every year since 2013. He was good that year, and last year in the playoffs... The rest of the time... Not so much.

But hell, recently it's been suggested that Jake Driskell, Tyrod Taylor, and Teddy Bridgewater should replace Dalton, so why not Nick Foles?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 09:24 PM)jason Wrote: So was everyone else not named BenJarvis Green-Ellis. The thing is, Nick Foles has actually been in the NFL every year since 2013. He was good that year, and last year in the playoffs... The rest of the time... Not so much.

But hell, recently it's been suggested that Jake Driskell, Tyrod Taylor, and Teddy Bridgewater should replace Dalton, so why not Nick Foles?

Jeff Driskel, but you are right about pretty much every player sucking in the Playoffs under Marv.

Now we have a new HC so this might change. One thing about Foles is that when the pressure is on he plays well, whether that is coaching or him or whatever that is what you need to win the big games. Sure he hasn't been good in the regular season except one year but who knows what would happen if he came here as a backup to Dalton and Dalton went down. Sure looked nice for Philly last year when Wentz went down.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 12:00 AM)TrevBengal Wrote: The quarterback is the most important position in team sports, period.

Andy was a nice surprise.  He provided stability, has had flashes of very solid play, but he is safe, limited, and not getting any better.

Andy is not a top Qb.  He is not athletic.  He is not creating plays or extending plays for the team.  

With respect, I think the league is moving in the other direction. You don't have to be a good qb, you don't have to be athletic and you don't have to have an outstanding arm capable of threading the needle. All you need is a ref who enforces the ever expanding "don't let them touch the qb" rule book.

The league can see that college programs, by and large, aren't preparing QBs like they used to . They're preparing them to win bowl games. So the league is responding with ridiculous rules like "you can hit the qb in a six inch square on his chest only, and must immediately disengage contact if the qb appears to have been possibly impacted."

Kind of off topic, but the whole "you've got to have an elite qb" issue is rapidly becoming moot. The rules are giving most teams serviceable ones.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 10:13 PM)Benton Wrote: With respect, I think the league is moving in the other direction. You don't have to be a good qb, you don't have to be athletic and you don't have to have an outstanding arm capable of threading the needle. All you need is a ref who enforces the ever expanding "don't let them touch the qb" rule book.

The league can see that college programs, by and large, aren't preparing QBs like they used to . They're preparing them to win bowl games. So the league is responding with ridiculous rules like "you can hit the qb in a six inch square on his chest only, and must immediately disengage contact if the qb appears to have been possibly impacted."

Kind of off topic, but the whole "you've got to have an elite qb" issue is rapidly becoming moot. The rules are giving most teams serviceable ones.

Totally agree... It's to the point that people are starting to consider pretty good QBs as elite.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 11:50 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: No. Because Andy melts in the playoffs.

Foles has over a 100 rating. He was a big reason the eagles won the super bowl last year.  

If Andy was on the eagles, he’d still be terrible postseason
That is why Zimmer wont be with eagles either sucks in playoffs 
Reply/Quote

Outside of Mahomes, every other QB left in the playoffs is a pocket passer.  And Mahomes does plenty of his work in the pocket.

Jackson--gone. Luck--gone.  Prescott--gone.  Watson--gone.  Just a big coincidence.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Haskins would be a great get

Guys gonna be great. And I hate Ohio st
Reply/Quote
Foles is a lot like Fitzy and Vinney Rey. Fitzy can come in off the bench, and light the place up with Fitzmagic, but for some reason he can't sustain it and fades. Vinney Rey is a solid backup and MLB, but when asked to play it for an extended number of games, he fades. Foles may be good in the playoffs, but he can't get you there from the start of the season.
Reply/Quote
The BIG difference between Foles and Dalton though is this - Foles game play improves the more pressure there is, Dalton's game play drops off. There is no denying that. So if I had my choice I would take Foles over Dalton for that reason. Higher probability that Foles will perform better than Dalton in big games.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote