Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How bad is the defense?
Some over reactions we have an aging DLine our corners are real good it's both our safeties that are bad. forget about Bates Bell is better than either 1 of our current S. We never want to pay S even when we are fortunate enough to draft 1 usually. It's kind of sad about Bell and Nelson being quality S for us at the end of the day they were both just mediocre. Its 3rd most important position in todays NFL on defense right after CB1 and DE1 with the Offense constantly having 3 and outs in many games means a defense has more snaps and more fatigue more succeptible to giving up the big play etc...
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 09:57 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Some over reactions we have an aging DLine our corners are real good it's both our safeties that are bad. forget about Bates Bell is better than either 1 of our current S. We never want to pay S even when we are fortunate enough to draft 1 usually. It's kind of sad about Bell and Nelson being quality S for us at the end of the day they were both just mediocre. Its 3rd most important position in todays NFL on defense right after CB1 and DE1

Disagree the safeties are bad. They aren’t Bates and Bell, but Battle in particular has been playing very well. And Dax has all the talent in the world, he just needs to be more consistent.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 11:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: What you suggested is way too obvious.  I was the first to mention playing the younger guys more, but it has to be done properly.

Free agents would be VERY AWARE of what we did if we were to sit our starting CB, TE and WR. 

Whose to say I’m calling for us to lose with the young guys. Have you no faith? If they develop and win then that’s great. Better than a high draft pick which I certainly want. At least we won’t be banking on an unknown Brown at backup RB in 2024. An unknown Jones as Boyds replacement. Bamboozled by Hobspins offseason fluff on their development. 

We’d know what we have and needed. 

But we’ll never know unless we force the issue. Only way to do that is to play them. Tanking doesn’t work because teams will stumble into a win. Look at everyone mocking Houston for supposedly blowing their tank job. Which worked out pretty well for them. 

How many times have we seen a job handed to the replacement without knowing if they can even play? That’s what I don’t want to see headed into 2024. 

How many games has Tee missed? Maybe he is IR’d. So much has happened since we saw last saw him but why should he risk a return. That agent may have already called that shot. 

But we don’t have a lot of players that need reps, but we do at key positions heading into next year; DT, backup DE, CB, backup RB, WR. I hope they figure out a way to get a look at them. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:14 PM)jj22 Wrote: Whose to say I’m calling for us to lose with the young guys. Have you no faith? If they develop and win then that’s great. Better than a high draft pick which I certainly want. At least we won’t be banking on an unknown Brown at backup RB in 2024. An unknown Jones as Boyds replacement. Bamboozled by Hobspins offseason fluff on their development. 

We’d know what we have and needed. 

But we’ll never know unless we force the issue. Only way to do that is to play them. Tanking doesn’t work because teams will stumble into a win. Look at everyone mocking Houston for supposedly blowing their tank job. Which worked out pretty well for them. 

How many times have we seen a job handed to the replacement without knowing if they can even play? That’s what I don’t want to see headed into 2024. 

How many games has Tee missed? Maybe he is IR’d. So much has happened since we saw last saw him but why should he risk a return. That agent may have already called that shot. 

But we don’t have a lot of players that need reps, but we do at key positions heading into next year; DT, backup DE, CB, backup RB, WR. I hope they figure out a way to get a look at them. 

I shouldn't have to explain it to you JJ.   Im all for getting as many reps as possible for the young guys, but we cant simply bench vets that are better, the rookies need to be worked in.

Reply/Quote
Then the kids will never get the real game reps. Especially at the expense of injury to one of the starters, which none of us want. Is what you’re telling me. Like you said. Someone is going to have to sit to make room, and they’re not going to sit anyone.

So that’s that. Expect players like Turner back on the bench when CTB returns. Even though he’ll be sold to us as Awuzie’s replacement all offseason. I agree with you in theory. It won’t happen. I don’t consider it tanking tho. And I don’t know how you get young players experience without cutting back on starters playtime.

On a side note I’d like to get a look at Hill at center. Karras at LG.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 10:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: Then the kids will never get the real game reps. Especially at the expense of injury to one of the starters, which none of us want. Is what you’re telling me. Like you said. Someone is going to have to sit to make room, and they’re not going to sit anyone.

So that’s that. Expect players like Turner back on the bench when CTB returns. Even though he’ll be sold to us as Awuzie’s replacement all offseason. I agree with you in theory. It won’t happen. I don’t consider it tanking tho. And I don’t know how you get young players experience without cutting back on starters playtime.

On a side note I’d like to get a look at Hill at center. Karras at LG.

Im saying they cant just bench starting vets, especially ones that are soon to be free agents.  That is tanking, that is illegal, that could cost us draft picks and future free agents, thus that is stupid.   Benching a boundary corner for a rookie with zero defensive snaps is pathetically obvious. 

Im simply saying they need to work in the new guys in a manner that is proper.  Giving Brown, Jones and Yoshi very few snaps is not the way to go either, they need more. 

I doubt they have any trust in Ivey.  He could very well have been undrafted.  
I doubt we see Hill, he has been awful in his few stints at Center.

The WR's rookie need more run, the rookie DBs are getting plenty of snaps as is Murphy now. 

Reply/Quote