Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Democrats the extreme party? Americans believe so.
Must be nice to get away with murder (or shooting someone on 5th avenue) and Americans turn a blind eye.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/us/politics/democrats-republicans-2020.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Not surprising given what all they ignore about Republicans to hold Dems at higher standards.

Americans ignore all of Trumps issues, and the shenanigans in the senate (stolen Scotus seats etc) to paint Dems as extreme.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Extreme! Like Bear Brown, from Alaskan Bush People. Now you can impress your dates by asking them to climb trees and jump ditches. Hilarious

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I'll bet the DNC doesn't try to shine the GOP in any negative light.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Seems to me that both parties are extreme, and we have a janky, broken two party system because of it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
I'm a little confused.

I though Trump was elected because he was the revolutionary that was going to overthrow the old-school established way of doing things, i.e. "drain the swamp".

But now it is bad to be "extreme" and the Republicans are running on a platform of "same old same old" instead of making any extreme changes.
(04-12-2019, 03:08 PM)jj22 Wrote: Must be nice to get away with murder (or shooting someone on 5th avenue) and Americans turn a blind eye.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/us/politics/democrats-republicans-2020.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

Not surprising given what all they ignore about Republicans to hold Dems at higher standards.

Americans ignore all of Trumps issues, and the shenanigans in the senate
(stolen Scotus seats etc) to paint Dems as extreme.

I think that is because many see Trump as good for their pocket book. There has been a sea-change in the electorate over the last 20 years so that traditional social-conservative principles are on the back burner (except for gay and trans issues).

Coincident with the evacuation of moral substance, it looks like voters have become more gullible over the same period: larger numbers fit Lincoln's category--the "some of the people" who can be fooled "all of the time."*

Ms. Lake said that as she has surveyed likely 2020 swing voters, she has been surprised to hear people in focus groups repeat false assertions made by the president and his allies — that Democrats would end air travel in the United States and shut down dairy farms and beef production because of greenhouse gas emissions from cows.

“It’s amazing the number of people who would volunteer that,” she said. The actual language in the proposal calls for cleaner transportation and agriculture “as much as is technologically feasible.” The misperception about cows and airplanes originated with a now-retracted fact sheet published by Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s office that contained an ironic aside about getting rid of "farting cows and airplanes.”

*Not saying all Trump voters are "gullible". Many know perfectly well what his policies mean. And that is what they want, from gutting the EPA to losing children separated from parents to the Muslim ban to withdrawing from the Paris Agreement. They are uninterested in the Constitutional challenge of his behavior and policies, or even favor anti-constitutional resolution of such challenges in his favor.  They tolerate the mean, childish tweeting and remain indifferent to the foreign policy consequences of his erratic decision-making. They are not fooled by Trump; they find him more than acceptable.
(04-12-2019, 04:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'm a little confused.

I though Trump was elected because he was the revolutionary that was going to overthrow the old-school established way of doing things, i.e. "drain the swamp".

But now it is bad to be "extreme" and the Republicans are running on a platform of "same old same old" instead of making any extreme changes.

I wonder if "drain the swamp" has a very different referent for Trump voters--as in get rid of corrupt government officials and deep staters--and Democrats.  On that interpretation, he is "keeping his promise."  

Most Dems think of draining the swamp as attacking lobbyists and moneyed interests, getting corruption out of government.

(04-12-2019, 04:45 PM)Dill Wrote: I wonder if "drain the swamp" has a very different referent for Trump voters--as in get rid of corrupt government officials and deep staters--and Democrats.  On that interpretation, he is "keeping his promise."  

Most Dems think of draining the swamp as attacking lobbyists and moneyed interests, getting corruption out of government.

My senator posted on facebook about opposing the nomination of the new Interior Sec, a career lobbyist for the energy industry who literally carries a card with him listing all of his conflicts of interests for reference.

Some conservative replies "We need to drain you from the swamp!". 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

People proposing changes will always sound extreme when you compare them to people who want things to stay the same (or want things to actually go backwards.)
(04-12-2019, 03:08 PM)jj22 Wrote: Must be nice to get away with murder (or shooting someone on 5th avenue) and Americans turn a blind eye.

Americans ignore all of Trumps issues, and the shenanigans in the senate (stolen Scotus seats etc) to paint Dems as extreme.

Where did they ignore it? The Dems won the House. The Senate was a long shot because of the number of Dems up versus Republicans. Plus the Senate is not a representative body so Democrats could have received far more Senate votes, but still not take control. There’s really not much else the public can do until 2020 but someone has put this bug in your ear. You should probably just make it your sig so you don’t have to type it in every post.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

We see what the media wants us to see.....

Yes, it does look like the Dems have shifted far left, but the most honest thing Pelosi has ever said is "that's not true.....it's like 5 people".

I think look at the media, first.  The media has gone way to the left, and they're cherry-picking pieces that support that worldview.
--------------------------------------------------------