Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can we fix the team to compete in AFC north?
The browns and ravens are the best of the afc right now. Our record against both teams is abysmal over the last several seasons and under Zac Taylor.

The bengals are built to pass the ball and play opportunistic bend but don’t brake defense.

The browns and ravens are built to play smothering defense, run the ball, and pass off their running game. In other words, AFC north football.

I see the browns and ravens as the top teams in the afc right now. Browns might be the only team that can beat the ravens.

When we play the browns, we drop back and pass and get eaten alive from the pass rush. Against the ravens we struggle to run the ball.

The key to win these games next year is defense and establishing the run game. Zac gives up on the run in these games.

Bengals also struggle to stop the run in these games.

How can we adjust next year to beat these teams?

If the bengals want to make noise next year, they will need to get past afc north opponents.

Is there another formula other than defense and running game? It seems like Zac thinks so, but the results haven’t been there other than two seasons of decent success.

How can we improve? What’s the formula to sweep the north?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bulk up the trenches especially Interior D. We need to consider a change of guard at RB. Mixon needs to revert to a backup role.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 05:24 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Bulk up the trenches especially Interior D. We need to consider a change of guard at RB. Mixon needs to revert to a backup role.

This. We really miss Larry Ogunjobi. We need to draft the best DT avaliable with our 1st next year or sign a good one on FA.
Reply/Quote
There are improvements that have to be made especially in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
However, you have to remember that these other AFCN teams have spent the past couple of seasons trying to emulate the Bengals success.
It’s a tough division for sure but the Bengals are still the only team to beat the Chiefs in the postseason over the past 3 years (although that will probably end this year)

Get Burrow healthy, upgrade the lines and they should be a very good team.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are THE WORST team in the league at rushing the ball after 15 games !! And I'm sure this game isn't going to change that. 82.7 yards per game.

I'm in no way saying we need to go all 1975 three yards in a cloud of dust, ram it down their throat the whole game, not at all. But we have to absolutely get way more efficient at running it.

In order to compete in the AFCN they have to get this fixed.
Reply/Quote
We are built to compete in the NFC.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
First and foremost we have to hope Burrows wrist recovers.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 05:32 PM)Bengalion Wrote: This. We really miss Larry Ogunjobi. We need to draft the best DT avaliable with our 1st next year or sign a good one on FA.

JerZhan Newton
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:02 PM)kevinsea Wrote: JerZhan Newton

Sweat from UT might be there.
Reply/Quote
Short of the Brown/Blackburn family selling the team and the new ownership wholesaling the entire coaching staff…absolutely nothing.

You just cannot hope for a small market team to overcome the ineptness of a family run team that’s been the worst ran franchise in the last 3 decades. A franchise that is run and managed by a family that thinks their way is the right way with absolutely shit to show for.

Anytime there’s been even a remote chance of a window open to win it all, the Brown family steps in and slams it shut. What a ***** joke.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:15 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Short of the Brown/Blackburn family selling the team and the new ownership wholesaling the entire coaching staff…absolutely nothing.  

You just cannot hope for a small market team to overcome the ineptness of a family run team that’s been the worst ran franchise in the last 3 decades.   A franchise that is run and managed by a family that thinks their way is the right way with absolutely shit to show for.  

Anytime there’s been even a remote chance of a window open to win it all, the Brown family steps in and slams it shut.   What a ***** joke.

Burrow hides a lot though, with a healthy Burrow this team probably made the playoffs this year even with the worst defense in the league. He can still get crushed in games too though (specifically, Cleveland) who has our number.

The first year lebron made the finals if you looked at the roster you knew he brought a bunch of scrubs with him. The Bengals got a ton of lucky bounces that superbowl run, including not being super injured like most other teams. Backups are needed to win the superbowl, it's hard to make it there healthy.

Also great players make the coaches and management look good. Specifically I don't think anyone would give credit to Mike Brown for drafting Burrow. They had #1OA, who wasn't drafting Joe? Burrow is the one doing the work on the field, what did Mike Brown do other than cut him a paycheck.
Reply/Quote
Keep Joe Healthy. The season was lost in August when he strained his calf. Also Athlectisim on the both lines and in the middle of the defense. We lost a lot when Bates left the team.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:26 PM)J24 Wrote: Keep Joe Healthy. The season was lost in August when he strained his calf. Also Athlectisim on the both lines and in the middle of the defense.  We lost a lot when Bates left the team.

I have not heard anyone admit a mistake on that from anyone (specifically Joe, Zac, or any other coach) yet. They won't improve on their mistakes without admitting them first. Mistake being playing him while clearly injured (not just a bump or bruise).

Also, non contact injuries like that, the bengals are changing their turf next year. I don't know if his injury was on the same turf as the game field, but it has a higher rate of non contact injury.

Would burrow still be healthy if he had sat the first few games? His hand injury probably had nothing to do with his leg injury though. I don't think anyone predicted that unless they aren't telling us something (lol).
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:24 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Burrow hides a lot though, with a healthy Burrow this team made the playoffs this year even with the worst defense in the league. He can still get crushed in games too though (specifically, Cleveland) who has our number.

The first year lebron made the finals if you looked at the roster you knew he brought a bunch of scrubs with him. The Bengals got a ton of lucky bounces that superbowl run, including not being super injured like most other teams. Backups are needed to win the superbowl, it's hard to make it there healthy.

Zac Taylor has called such an unbalanced style of offense knowing full well the inadequacy of the o-line. They go out and spend a ton of money to improve the line and there’s barely any improvement.

People assume that Burrow will come back at some point fully healthy and get back to the level of play from him we are accustomed to…the reality is that in order for this team to achieve any success going forward that’s the only way. Chances are that that’s not likely to happen. Every injury and every game he misses most likely takes away from the progression needed to sustain a successful career in the NFL. Zac Taylor’s inexperience and ineptitude is only exacerbating any chance Burrow has of a long successful career.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:24 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Burrow hides a lot though, with a healthy Burrow this team made the playoffs this year even with the worst defense in the league. He can still get crushed in games too though (specifically, Cleveland) who has our number.

Teams usually have their lucky moments on their way to super bowl wins, but a gigantic problem this team has had for a while, and the reason why the Bengals don't have at least 1 ring with Burrow is the craptacular offensive line.

We have various problems to go along with that this year, but the O-line has definitely been a glaring issue.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:36 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Zac Taylor has called such an unbalanced style of offense knowing full well the inadequacy of the o-line.   They go out and spend a ton of money to improve the line and there’s barely any improvement.  

People assume that Burrow will come back at some point fully healthy and get back to the level of play from him we are accustomed to…the reality is that in order for this team to achieve any success  going forward that’s the only way.  Chances are that that’s not likely to happen.   Every injury and every game he misses most likely takes away from the progression needed to sustain a successful career in the NFL.  Zac Taylor’s inexperience and ineptitude is only exacerbating any chance Burrow has of a long successful career.

I don't have confidence that Burrow will be back to normal at the start of next season, he has shown us more times than not he is not ready (physically), fluke or not. Also that specific injury is concerning as a fan, I think the least he will deal with is chronic pain apparently.

If you look far into the future, Burrow is probably once in an era type QB (or at least, every 10-15 years). We don't get lucky with QBs like that lol, if he doesn't work out, our commentary is just copy and paste - difference being Mike Brown will be dead.

Zac does seem to make a lot of mistakes and his play calling is suspect at times, I think a lot of fans will say that about their team. But the coaches also need time to gain experience to figure themselves out.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:15 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Short of the Brown/Blackburn family selling the team and the new ownership wholesaling the entire coaching staff…absolutely nothing.  

You just cannot hope for a small market team to overcome the ineptness of a family run team that’s been the worst ran franchise in the last 3 decades.   A franchise that is run and managed by a family that thinks their way is the right way with absolutely shit to show for.  

Anytime there’s been even a remote chance of a window open to win it all, the Brown family steps in and slams it shut.   What a ***** joke.

Your comments are pretty harsh but not far off. I was going to post that the Bengals won't sniff another SB with the current ownership, coaching staff and most of the current roster and I feel that way. I feel the only reason they got to the SB 2 years ago was the element of surprise with Burrow, Chase and Higgins new and the rest of the league hadn't had time to figure them out. Seems now everybody is on to them and I see other teams receivers looking every bit as good or better than our supposed "weapons."

The D is weak against run and pass, the Oline seems to disappear at times, we basically have no run game and the play calling at times is terrible. The only impact player on D is Trey H. Nobody else makes BIG plays when needed.

I know, I know we went to back to back AFCC games but still didn't bring home the real trophy. That's like finishing 3rd or 4th in the Indy 500, nobody cares or remembers. After 55 years nothing else matters but the Lombardi.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:31 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I have not heard anyone admit a mistake on that from anyone (specifically Joe, Zac, or any other coach) yet. They won't improve on their mistakes without admitting them first. Mistake being playing him while clearly injured (not just a bump or bruise).

Also, non contact injuries like that, the bengals are changing their turf next year. I don't know if his injury was on the same turf as the game field, but it has a higher rate of non contact injury.

Would burrow still be healthy if he had sat the first few games? His hand injury probably had nothing to do with his leg injury though. I don't think anyone predicted that unless they aren't telling us something (lol).

There were multiple instances where it was evident there was something going on with Burrow and the inaction of the coaching staff led to further avoidable injuries.

It cannot just be a coincidence that Burrow was wearing a “device” on both body parts that ended up getting injured. It was clear there was something going on with the calf and hand/wrist prior to the events that resulted in him missing time.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 05:20 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: The browns and ravens are the best of the afc right now. Our record against both teams is abysmal over the last several seasons and under Zac Taylor.

The bengals are built to pass the ball and play opportunistic bend but don’t brake defense.

The browns and ravens are built to play smothering defense, run the ball, and pass off their running game. In other words, AFC north football.

I see the browns and ravens as the top teams in the afc right now. Browns might be the only team that can beat the ravens.

When we play the browns, we drop back and pass and get eaten alive from the pass rush. Against the ravens we struggle to run the ball.

The key to win these games next year is defense and establishing the run game. Zac gives up on the run in these games.

Bengals also struggle to stop the run in these games.

How can we adjust next year to beat these teams?

If the bengals want to make noise next year, they will need to get past afc north opponents.

Is there another formula other than defense and running game? It seems like Zac thinks so, but the results haven’t been there other than two seasons of decent success.

How can we improve? What’s the formula to sweep the north?

Actually with Flacco Browns are throwing it and Ravens offense revolves around Lamar.. and they finally have WRs. We are 4-3 vs ravens last 3 years, so not a despair but need to get better ar running the ball and pass protection,  do those 2 things we will be fine
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:31 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I have not heard anyone admit a mistake on that from anyone (specifically Joe, Zac, or any other coach) yet. They won't improve on their mistakes without admitting them first. Mistake being playing him while clearly injured (not just a bump or bruise).

Maybe don't practice in 100 degree heat on the first couple of training camp practices. Also maybe utilize the OTAs and Mini  camp this offseason. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote