Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How come we can't find Linebackers who can rush the QB?
Why do other teams have LB's who can rush the QB. The Steelers and Ravens always have 2-3 of these guys.

I can't even remember the last LB that we had that I consider to be a good pass rusher. Maybe Steve Foley or Takeo Spikes?
Reply/Quote
Any LB can rush the QB if the blitz packages are good enough.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Because we play a 4-3
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
Scheme based, really. 3-4 vs 4-3. Burfict seems to get some some sacks, today included.
Reply/Quote
It's a couple things
1. our LBS body frames are built to be run stoppers first and foremost
Lameur is the last LB I know of that had that length and wingspan to rush QB
but he rarely blitzed
look the Steelers LBS. more tall and lankier and faster than ours
2. our LB lack that explosive closing speed to finish ala Von Miller Justin Houston
3. our LB rush from the same spot. Zimmer would have them cross..delay....
Guenther is predictable
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 10:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why do other teams have LB's who can rush the QB. The Steelers and Ravens always have 2-3 of these guys.

I can't even remember the last LB that we had that I consider to be a good pass rusher. Maybe Steve Foley or Takeo Spikes?

As far as the LBs go they are either fat and slow or old and slow or young and not a difference maker.

Last year we had Hawk as the aging guy. The year before we had James Harrison who we sorta used sometimes.

This year we have Dansby, who ain't bad, but he's not a young, up and coming guy who's going to come off the edge with blazing speed. Burfict seems to get his sacks of delays or stunts. RayM isn't going to get to the QB if he had a one second head start.

Reply/Quote
Linebackers ?
Think anyone would give us a 3rd for Nick Vigil ? (what the Bengals spent)
What ever happened to the "Vigil"antes ?
Franchise simply hasn't done well at the linebacker position. Starters are 2 free agents and RayM
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 10:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why do other teams have LB's who can rush the QB. The Steelers and Ravens always have 2-3 of these guys.

I can't even remember the last LB that we had that I consider to be a good pass rusher. Maybe Steve Foley or Takeo Spikes
Because we haven't drafted a top pick linebacker in forever......and also our defense. We had LB pass rusher Harrison but we do not play that type defense and he was lost in space playing off the line. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

not really our priority with a 4-3 scheme I guess.

Our speed at LB is really poor at the point. We tend to blitz LB up the middle with power....can't remember the last time I saw any Bengals rusher not called Dunlap race around the edge to sack a QB.

When he's fit and at a proper weight Tez has good range but I still don't think of him as physically quick, Rey M is a run defender, Vinnie Rey is just steady

That LB Carter (?) who missed the cut last couple of seasons was the only one i recall recently who even vaguely showed potential as an outside rusher from LB
Reply/Quote
Like others have posted it's more scheme related 4-3 relies heavy on getting pressure from the front four but are d-line is struggling to do that and the only LB who can get to the qb is Burfict. In today's pass happy league you need 3 down athletic linebackers who can cover which we don't have besides Burfict who looks slow this year. We have struggled under Lewis to draft good line backers the best two we've had under his tenure were Thurman and Burfict who both had their issues with personal conduct one with off the filed problems in Thurman and on the field problems with Burfict. Keith Rivers was our highest pick at the position and we all know how that turned out. We've signed ageing vets the last few years as band aid solutions , Manny Lawson, AJ Hawk, James Harrison , Dansby. Hopefully the Virgil pick works out. P.J. Dawson was a guy I had hopes for as a 3 down productive line backer but the guy can't even make the 53 and beat out are current lbs which is sad. My off season wish list is that we sign Jamie Collins from the pats big athletic 3 down backer who can pass rush , I know it won't happen but think he would be a good fit.
Reply/Quote
Cincinnati does have linebackers who can rush the quarterback. They just don't -- and here's why:

When a defensive line can't close gaps and gets pushed around by offensive linemen, linebackers need to close those gaps to prevent huge runs. On passing downs the Bengal linebackers usually drop into coverage because opposing quarterbacks know tight ends are going to be free across the middle if linebackers don't cover them. This places emphasis on the Cincinnati front four to pressure the quarterback and stuff the run and unfortunately they excel at neither function.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 11:53 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Scheme based, really. 3-4 vs 4-3. Burfict seems to get some some sacks, today included.

It's more than scheme. When we send our LB's...they don't get to the QB.

They're just not good pass rushers and wouldn't be in a 3-4 either.
Reply/Quote
It is not "more than scheme" it is perception of most fans versus football reality. The most sacks by a LB not in a 3-4 scheme is 2. 4-3 LB's do not get pressure because that is not their job. Even when you send them the reality is they tend to be smaller guys because they have to cover so they don't get "home" very much. OLB in a 3-4 are just more athletic and smaller DEs. Don't compare our LB's to 3-4 LBs compare our DEs to 3-4 LBs and when you do that we are comparable.

Don't compare this statement with me thinking our linebackers are good, because they aren't. They aren't good though because they aren't good at coverage or tackling for that matter, but it isn't because they can't blitz.
Reply/Quote
As has already been said, it's mostly scheme. Pitt and Baltimore use linebackers as blitzers in a 3-4; we use ends (or occasionally backs) as blitzers and linerbackers as coverage. The idea is you may not pressure the QB as much, but you prevent big passes and generate turnovers more.
Reply/Quote
If OP is asking why Shazier and Mosley are better than our LBS at getting to the QB, I'd have to agree it's more than scheme. Those are two of the better young inside lbs in the biz.

If we had a chance at either of them when they were drafted, I'd hope we would have pulled the trigger. Instead, our pick that year can't stop himself from fair catch interference.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 03:29 PM)TGISunday Wrote: If OP is asking why Shazier and Mosley are better than our LBS at getting to the QB, I'd have to agree it's more than scheme. Those are two of the better young inside lbs in the biz.

If we had a chance at either of them when they were drafted, I'd hope we would have pulled the trigger.  Instead, our pick that year can't stop himself from fair catch interference.

If we are talking in terms of pressure as the OP is about, once again perception versus reality is off as neither LB has a sack on the year.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 05:04 AM)John Shaft Wrote: Linebackers ?
Think anyone would give us a 3rd for Nick Vigil ? (what the Bengals spent)
What ever happened to the "Vigil"antes ?
Franchise simply hasn't done well at the linebacker position. Starters are 2 free agents and RayM

Coaching staff needs to let Vigil play IMO over Dansby at this point.

Dansby is not looking as advertised.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 04:22 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Coaching staff needs to let Vigil play IMO over Dansby at this point.

I would be interested in this. I also would be okay with Rey taking Dansby's snaps.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 04:22 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Coaching staff needs to let Vigil play IMO over Dansby at this point.

I have seen Vigil "broken down" in space by offensive skill players the times I've seen him play. In other words, shaken out of his jock strap. That may be why he isn't playing. Adjusting to NFL level quickness and speed may take time for him. Bengals reached
Reply/Quote
As others said, probably due to scheme, we don't draft many 3-4 types. Moch comes to mind....

3-4 players are generally very athletic so I think we miss out.
Reply/Quote