Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did Bodine grade in last two games
I am depressed about all the Bengal talk of re-signing Bodine.  I don't see how the team ever becomes a playoff threat with one of the three worst centers in the league.

I am trying to find some hope out of this and I wonder if anyone can recall how he graded in last two games after Lazor changes blocking scheme.

Several posters have stated that we should defer to our new o line coach if he wants Bodine. I guess that is reasonable.

It just reminds me of Rey Maualuga all over again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not a fan but think Pollack should have last say as of now.

His opinion is still out until we see who is drafted and who is brought in from the FA crop.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 11:27 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I am depressed about all the Bengal talk of re-signing Bodine.  I don't see how the team ever becomes a playoff threat with one of the three worst centers in the league.

As I have stated before, PFF's individual ranking system is a joke, but I did not think even they had Bodine ranked as one of the three worst in the league, did they?
Reply/Quote
I believe when we went to a different blocking scheme late in the year his grades improved.
Reply/Quote
I do know Alex Redmond was the best lineman on the team the last two games.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As I have stated before, PFF's individual ranking system is a joke, but I did not think even they had Bodine ranked as one of the three worst in the league, did they?

I recall he was one of the worst. Should have been more precise in my description. My bad.

PFF is certainly not perfect by any means but it has some relevance I think.

Regardless of grades, Bodine has been awful. If they keep him I hope the new coach makes a difference for him and entire o line.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 12:10 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not a fan but think Pollack should have last say as of now.

His opinion is still out until we see who is drafted and who is brought in from the FA crop.

Exactly, what he does during this time will explain where his thoughts truly reside.

(03-05-2018, 12:40 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I recall he was one of the worst. Should have been more precise in my description. My bad.

PFF is certainly not perfect by any means but it has some relevance I think.

Regardless of grades, Bodine has been awful. If they keep him I hope the new coach makes a difference for him and entire o line.

Bodine has been awful and I'm confident that if Pollack feels he can play a key part, he will remain. If he doesn't, then you know your gut was right.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 12:40 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Regardless of grades, Bodine has been awful. If they keep him I hope the new coach makes a difference for him and entire o line.

I don't watch too many centers on other teams, so I don't really know where Bodine ranks. But I agree that he has been rank.
Reply/Quote
Something you very seldom hear is a coach come right out and say [insert name] (player) sucks.. It's fine for fans to say these things, but quite another for coaches to publicly outright call players names. It goes over as petty and vindictive and rather unprofessional..  While it may be true and some players are not as good as others there's still a certain decorum expected of coaches or anyone of any position of authority. Sounds like a recipe for losing the respect of anyone who is or ever was the players friend much less team mates.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't watch too many centers on other teams, so I don't really know where Bodine ranks. But I agree that he has been rank.
At one point, he was graded as the 3rd worst C in the league.  IIRC, I think he got up to around 5th-8th worst last season.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 12:36 PM)Synric Wrote: I do know Alex Redmond was the best lineman on the team the last two games.

I think that was Westerman. Redmond played very good against the Lions but not as good against the Ravens.

Westerman played very good both games.

I am sure Bodine played better these games than he usually does, but that is not saying a lot.

Boling played very good at LT against the Ravens, not so well at LT against the Lions.

Understandable in his first stints at LT.

Atleast this is what i remember, maybe i am wrong.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 11:27 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I am depressed about all the Bengal talk of re-signing Bodine.  I don't see how the team ever becomes a playoff threat with one of the three worst centers in the league.

I am trying to find some hope out of this and I wonder if anyone can recall how he graded in last two games after Lazor changes blocking scheme.

Several posters have stated that we should defer to our new o line coach if he wants Bodine. I guess that is reasonable.

It just reminds me of Rey Maualuga all over again.

Coaches will not make decisions based on the opinions of fans who think they know more than they do. It is their job on the line so I am confident they will choose the best options to win, to think they will choose to loose is foolish at best. How about we let the new guys make their choices and then respect those decisions maybe one time. Even if we hate the guy they choose.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 01:34 PM)grampahol Wrote: Something you very seldom hear is a coach come right out and say [insert name] (player) sucks.. It's fine for fans to say these things, but quite another for coaches to publicly outright call players names. It goes over as petty and vindictive and rather unprofessional..  While it may be true and some players are not as good as others there's still a certain decorum expected of coaches or anyone of any position of authority. Sounds like a recipe for losing the respect of anyone who is or ever was the players friend much less team mates.. 

My theory is that different players respond differently.

Some players might be highly motivated by a coach calling them out in the press, while other will just respond with some comment claiming that the coach doing the criticizing is not perfect either.

I know that when I played I was never impressed by a coach screaming and losing his shit.  To me that just seemed like a sign of weakness.  I had much more respect for the coaches who would make me feel bad about letting down myself or my teammates.  BUT some players responded better to a red faced, screaming, spit slinging maniac.

So to me their is not one "best way" to be a coach.  The best coaches are the ones that figure out what motivates each individual player.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 02:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Coaches will not make decisions based on the opinions of fans who think they know more than they do. It is their job on the line so I am confident they will choose the best options to win, to think they will choose to loose is foolish at best. How about we let the new guys make their choices and then respect those decisions maybe one time. Even if we hate the guy they choose.

Because he has been awful for the last four years.

Have you watched the games?

I hope new coach knows how to improve his performance and then I will stand corrected despite prior four years of being thrown back into Andy's face
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 02:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Coaches will not make decisions based on the opinions of fans who think they know more than they do. It is their job on the line so I am confident they will choose the best options to win, to think they will choose to loose is foolish at best. How about we let the new guys make their choices and then respect those decisions maybe one time. Even if we hate the guy they choose.

When accountability is taken into consideration...
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 02:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think that was Westerman. Redmond played very good against the Lions but not as good against the Ravens.

Westerman played very good both games.

I am sure Bodine played better these games than he usually does, but that is not saying a lot.

Boling played very good at LT against the Ravens, not so well at LT against the Lions.

Understandable in his first stints at LT.

Atleast this is what i remember, maybe i am wrong.

Alex Redmond at RG played the best through those two games. I know Westermans name is thrown around alot more mostly because he was drafted but in my opinion Redmond played better through that two game stretch.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 03:41 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: When accountability is taken into consideration...

Exactly, 'cause Piano Man made some shit-tastic decisions....three of which pretty much made the team a sub .500 unit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 03:41 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: When accountability is taken into consideration...

NFL coaches are defined by their won lost record.  and you don't get to be ab NFL head coach if you are not competative and care about winning.

It is absurd to suggest that coaches would intentionally play lesser players instead of trying to win.

In fact I think is says a lot about the character of the people who make those claims.  The only people who think it is perfectly reasonable to blow off a career and professional reputation over some petty slight are the ones who never had a real career or any sort of professional reputation to lose.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 12:10 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not a fan but think Pollack should have last say as of now.

Absolutely. Let’s see what a new coach with new thinking does with not just Russell Bodine but with Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher as well. Those three guys were terrific in college so let’s see if there’s anything left for Frank Pollack to build upon. If not, there are always free agency, trades, and the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 05:34 PM)Synric Wrote:  Alex Redmond at RG played the best through those two games. I know Westermans name is thrown around alot more mostly because he was drafted but in my opinion Redmond played better through that two game stretch.

I like Redmond's physicality for sure. He has a little nasty to him which Pollack likes.

You could be right that Redmond was the best, i saw some nice run blocking from him especially against the Lions when Brian Hill
was running all over them. Westerman is just a very solid pass blocker, he needs to work on his run blocking some more. Always
said that Westerman's play reminds me of Zeitler's.

We might be just fine at Guard is i guess what i am getting to. Moving Boling to full time LT might be in the cards yah never know.

Might just have to re-sign Andre for a one year deal, have Pollack coach up Fisher and draft a Center early.
Reply/Quote