Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did Paul Alexander Keep His Job Through The 90's???
For those that don't know...Paul Alexander was hired while Dave Shula was coach here. While we have't won a playoff game in 26+ years...Paul Alexander was here for 23 of them. (He started here in 1994.)

They actually promoted him to Assistant Head Coach in 2004.

We had arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL through the 1990's. How did Paul Alexander keep his job?
Reply/Quote
Because.....

[Image: 1356694762795_1356694762795_r.jpg]

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He has info on Mike Brown that the family doesn't want known.
Reply/Quote
I just blows my mind that we have any coaches remaining from that horrible decade.
Reply/Quote
Being a catcher for Mike Ninja
Reply/Quote
Read this article.. This like Deja Vu..

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/6/25/3116224/commentary-do-you-trust-paul-alexanders-coaching-prowess
Reply/Quote
Same reason Pacman is still here: he's close with the Brown family. You become buddy buddy with the family, you have a job for life. They don't have the testicular fortitude to lay off their good friends. It's that simple. Conflict of interest = bad business.
Reply/Quote
I forgot all about Stacy Andrews.

The Bengals have to draft more powerlifters or guys who set Bench Press records on offensive line than any team in the league.

It has to be because we scout workouts so much.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 02:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I forgot all about Stacy Andrews.

The Bengals have to draft more powerlifters or guys who set Bench Press records on offensive line than any team in the league.

It has to be because we scout workouts so much.

Yep..

I like this last paragraph :

Should we, as Bengals fans, trust Paul Alexander's judgement? Though Wharton and Zeitler are upgrades at both guard positions, other options were available--did Alexander and others make the right choices? The jury is still out on these questions and they likely won't get answered until after the 2012 season is completed. Still, where do you gauge your faith in the Bengals longtime coach? Do you believe he'll turn things around in 2012 by getting the running game back on track and supplying Andy Dalton with more time in the pocket?
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 01:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: For those that don't know...Paul Alexander was hired while Dave Shula was coach here. While we have't won a playoff game in 26+ years...Paul Alexander was here for 25 of them. (He started here in 1994.)

We had arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL through the 1990's. How did Paul Alexander keep his job?

Paul has been the OL coach for 23 consecutive seasons.
During that time, he's been saved by the performances of Willie Anderson, Levi Jones, Andrew Whitworth, Rich Braham, Eric Steinbach, and Kevin Zeitler.
Now there is no elite OL player for him to hide behind.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The Bengals had one of the best offensive line coaches ever years ago. McNally. I think Mike Brown let him go in the mid-1990s but I believe he is still a consultant for the Cincinnati Bengals today but I'm not sure.
If he is a consultant Paul Alexander's not listening to him for sure.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 02:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Paul has been the OL coach for 23 consecutive seasons.
During that time, he's been saved by the performances of Willie Anderson, Levi Jones, Andrew Whitworth, Rich Braham, Eric Steinbach, and Kevin Zeitler.
Now there is no elite OL player for him to hide behind.

Where's Paino Man's cavalry when you need them? Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 02:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: Where's Paino Man's cavalry when you need them? Ninja

Well Fred's banned, so....
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
theres obviously a picture of Brown and a Donkey hidden in a safe.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 01:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: For those that don't know...Paul Alexander was hired while Dave Shula was coach here. While we have't won a playoff game in 26+ years...Paul Alexander was here for 23 of them. (He started here in 1994.)

Same reason Brown gave Lewis an extension after the 2010 season?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I read an Evan Mathis Reddit years ago and it as interesting. He left here and was great with the Eagles. It seems like the Eagles teach their lineman to be aggressive where lineman are taught to wait for the defender to engage here.

Questions:
Hey Evan! thanks for doing this AMA. I know /r/eagles is gonna be psyched. A few questions
1) People talk about you as the prototype for someone who benefits from Howard Mudds scheme. Can you give us a better idea of some specific things he preaches that are vastly different? Most of the conventional wisdom doesn't go any farther than "he likes smallish guys".
2) How important is chemistry between you and your neighbors?
3) How much of a beast is Jason Peters?

Answers:
He doesn't like smaller guys, he likes athletes. More often than not it's just guys that aren't 340 who are the athletes. Take 40 pounds off of 340 player and I'll guarantee you he can move better. Howard's techniques are aggressive. It's not sitting back, it's attacking. A primitive caveman like myself thrives when I can attack somebody on every single play.
Very. Communication is critical to offensive line success.
If there's anybody you could consider a natural tackle in the NFL its Jason Peters. Extremely athletic for his size and willing to work to refine his techniques. He's the best in the game right now.

Question:
Cool. Great stuff. Seems like a lot of pass protection is sitting back, does mudd not do that? Or am I wrong here?
One last question, how many of the players drink? It seems like so many don't. What's up with that?
Take care big guy, looking forward to seeing you again next year.

Answer:
Mudd teaches us to initiate contact whereas most coaches teach guys to set back. There's some that do, some that don't, some that do too much. Just like in most work environments I'm sure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/puhef/i_am_nfl_og_and_redditor_evan_mathis_ama/#bottom-comments
Reply/Quote
It's right up there with how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. The world may never know. OR.. One....Two....Three! (CRUNCH!) Three. 

There's a reason that the worlds most ferocious battles were all fought by piano players instead of soldiers..
Oh wait..perhaps they really weren't.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 01:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: For those that don't know...Paul Alexander was hired while Dave Shula was coach here. While we have't won a playoff game in 26+ years...Paul Alexander was here for 23 of them. (He started here in 1994.)

How does he keep his job now after torpedoing the 50th Anniversary season almost single handedly?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:28 PM)McC Wrote: How does he keep his job now after torpedoing the 50th Anniversary season almost single handedly?

Well...I think the bolded decisions combined with the Piano Man torpedoed it. From Bengals.com:

By opting out on Whitworth and Zeitler, the Bengals stayed true to two of their basic principles. Whitworth is coming off his third Pro Bowl season and was ranked as the NFL's second best pass-protecting tackle by profootballfocus.com. But since he's 35, the Bengals were wary of  multiple years. So Whitworth took a three-year deal with the Rams that featured $13 million guaranteed this year. The Bengals detest moving money into future years of their salary cap, particulalry with older players that may not make it to those years but the team still picks up some of the charges.

And, they don't pay guards big money. Zeitler is at the top of his game. He was rated the best guard on the market after not missing a snap in 2017. That translated to $12 million per year, but the Bengals don't believe guards win enough games on their own to warrant top of the market money. The Bengals didn't offer a contract but told his agent, "If you don't get what you want, come back."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Facelift/6f86968a-e26b-4fa0-95c3-75c043ecf393
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2017, 03:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...I think the bolded decisions combined with the Piano Man torpedoed it. From Bengals.com:

By opting out on Whitworth and Zeitler, the Bengals stayed true to two of their basic principles. Whitworth is coming off his third Pro Bowl season and was ranked as the NFL's second best pass-protecting tackle by profootballfocus.com. But since he's 35, the Bengals were wary of  multiple years. So Whitworth took a three-year deal with the Rams that featured $13 million guaranteed this year. The Bengals detest moving money into future years of their salary cap, particulalry with older players that may not make it to those years but the team still picks up some of the charges.

And, they don't pay guards big money. Zeitler is at the top of his game. He was rated the best guard on the market after not missing a snap in 2017. That translated to $12 million per year, but the Bengals don't believe guards win enough games on their own to warrant top of the market money. The Bengals didn't offer a contract but told his agent, "If you don't get what you want, come back."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Facelift/6f86968a-e26b-4fa0-95c3-75c043ecf393

I believe they did the bolded because PA assured them would would be fine without those guys.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote