Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do Bob&Tom have a show?
I don't know how many markets they are in so maybe a lot of people don't know them. They are terrible. I usually don't turn on the station until 10:00 when they are off, but they are in Cincy for opening Day so I have tuned in. Unfunny people singing unfunny songs. Someone sang a song about gameday at Notre Dame? Huh?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've wondered this often myself. They aren't funny, at all, but cackle endlessly at their own stupid jokes.

But they are syndicated in a lot of markets, big markets. Very successful, for a very long time. IMO, their fans are the same people who were probably huge fans of Jim Carey - you know, slapstick sometimes vulgar/potty humor. Mostly mindless idiots who never outgrew juvenile humor.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
I have no idea who Bob and Tom are, but if they are like all the other "morning drive" radio "personalities" they are part of a phenomenon I have never been able to understand. They are popular everywhere even though they are not funny or entertaining at all. they try to be shocking, but they just end up sounding stupid to me.
Reply/Quote
I would like to say that I used to listen to Bob & Tom every morning for quite some time. I can see how you could find it not funny. Being someone who listened regularly though, it is a hilarious show.

Nowadays though, Bob has left, Christie (another important character on the show) has left.. .the show is essentially the Tom and Chic show.. and it definitely is a lot worse than it used to be.

Bob & Tom to me is an acquired taste, and its a vulgar one, but I will say the show is not nearly as good as it was 5-10 years ago and even further back.

FWIW the show in Cinci the other day is probably a sad rendition of what B&T used to be.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 12:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no idea who Bob and Tom are, but if they are like all the other "morning drive" radio "personalities" they are part of a phenomenon I have never been able to understand.  They are popular everywhere even though they are not funny or entertaining at all.  they try to be shocking, but they just end up sounding stupid to me.

They aren't even really shock jock Howard Stern wannabes.  Half the show seemed to be lameass songs by comedians.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2016, 12:18 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I would like to say that I used to listen to Bob & Tom every morning for quite some time. I can see how you could find it not funny. Being someone who listened regularly though, it is a hilarious show.

Nowadays though, Bob has left, Christie (another important character on the show) has left.. .the show is essentially the Tom and Chic show.. and it definitely is a lot worse than it used to be.

Bob & Tom to me is an acquired taste, and its a vulgar one, but I will say the show is not nearly as good as it was 5-10 years ago and even further back.

FWIW the show in Cinci the other day is probably a sad rendition of what B&T used to be.

Yeah I really don't know the inside workings, just whenever I turn it on, it's just not funny to me.  

Reply/Quote
I listened 10-12 years ago during the morning drive. They used to have some very funny comedians on. Then it got to be the same guys, same songs. But the part I never got over was the laughing. It would be 2-3 minutes of talking, followed by 2-3 minutes of unintelligible sounds and laughing.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 10:37 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know how many markets they are in so maybe a lot of people don't know them.  They are terrible.  I usually don't turn on the station until 10:00 when they are off, but they are in Cincy for opening Day so I have tuned in.  Unfunny people singing unfunny songs.  Someone sang a song about gameday at Notre Dame?  Huh?

I didn't know they still had a show.

When a local affiliate started them a few years back I listened because they were new and different.

But, like was already said, other than the guest they were pretty lame.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Bob and Tom was syndicated in Reno in the early 2000s. They didn't last long, but I liked them. Then Portland syndicated them a few years ago and I didn't enjoy the show at all. It seems so slow to me. Granted, the show has undergone some big changes with a couple of big people leaving, but it's not my thing.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
If you're in a Free Beer and Hot Wings Morning Show market, I highly recommend them. They're way better than the stupid name. Anybody else familiar? I don't think they're in too many markets.

I never liked Bob and Tom. It's just hours of laughing.
Reply/Quote
Bob and Tom is great because of its guests mostly. They have been a stepping stone for many comedians and almost always has interesting guests on the show.

Pat McAfee, the colts punter/kicker (possibly best punter in the league) often comes onto the show. He is great to listen to.

Here is a 5 min video of McAfee on B&T talking about Brian Billick and kickers. This is what the show is mostly like. Interesting insight from an NFL insider. All of the McAfee stuff is really worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBSOq9hdfO8
Reply/Quote
One of the Dayton stations jettisoned their morning program for them back in the mid-90s, so I tuned it and was mildly amusing at first. Then the incessant cackling got to be annoying, and they repeated the same bits over and over again. Finally threw in the towel. So, agree, OP.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2016, 10:37 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know how many markets they are in so maybe a lot of people don't know them.  They are terrible.  I usually don't turn on the station until 10:00 when they are off, but they are in Cincy for opening Day so I have tuned in.  Unfunny people singing unfunny songs.  Someone sang a song about gameday at Notre Dame?  Huh?

I suggest KC O'Dea, for a pleasant change of pace.

http://1061fmtalk.iheart.com/onair/kc-odea-show-37129/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote