Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you like going into the year with HIGH expectations?
Ever since I began following this team (mid 90s), there haven't been a ton of high expectations going into a season. Sure we have had some decent teams (Palmer, Dalton) but even with those teams, I didn't really think it was ever Super Bowl or bust unless the stars truly aligned. Getting a playoff win was always kind of the goal in my mind.

Well, now that has changed. We have firmly gotten over the hump and have been to two straight AFC Championship games.

So, my question to you is this:

How do you feel going into the season where the expecations are mainly AFC Championship game/Super Bowl or bust? Do you like it more or less than "having an outside shot at a Super Bowl"? Do you like being the favorite?

Every game is going to matter that much more. The 1 seed is now at a premium. Every game wil be that much more stressful. It's a good and bad thing. Good in the sense that there are higher expectations because we actually have a good team, but bad in the sense that it does bring that stress, anxiety, and sense or urgency like a lot of us fans have never seen before.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I went into last season thinking the Bengals were a year ahead of schedule, but expected nothing short of a Lombardi. The team did not let me down. A couple of ill-timed injuries and a play here and there derailed the ultimate goal, but i feel like the team was still ascending.

I believe they are even better this year. Improved Oline, improved depth throughout the roster and core players still ascending.

All signs point to Vegas.
Reply/Quote
It's nice going into the season with high expectations again. Probably the first time since 2016 or maybe even longer back than that.
I think it comes down to the moves the Bengals have made. They essentially have their same core other than their impactful safeties. But they have a decent vet in Nick Scott and also two young draft picks with strong potential in Hill and Battle, so the optimism is there that the drop off won't be too big if at all.
And we also expect the OL to be even better this year after previous years of disappointment.

So my expectation is a division win again, and also probably 11 wins conservatively, 14 wins optimistically.
They should be competing for top seed in the AFC if things play out well.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 12:22 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ever since I began following this team (mid 90s), there haven't been a ton of high expectations going into a season. Sure we have had some decent teams (Palmer, Dalton) but even with those teams, I didn't really think it was ever Super Bowl or bust unless the stars truly aligned. Getting a playoff win was always kind of the goal in my mind.

Well, now that has changed. We have firmly gotten over the hump and have been to two straight AFC Championship games.

So, my question to you is this:

How do you feel going into the season where the expecations are mainly AFC Championship game/Super Bowl or bust? Do you like it more or less than "having an outside shot at a Super Bowl"? Do you like being the favorite?

Every game is going to matter that much more. The 1 seed is now at a premium. Every game wil be that more stressful. It's a good and bad thing. Good in the sense that there are higher expectations because we actually have a good team, but bad in the sense that it does bring that stress, anxiety, and sense or urgency.

I get it because I'm the same way.

I loved Palmer and thought he would win us a title. I bought tickets to every game for years.

I did the same when Dalton was here and always had hopes that he'd at least win us a playoff game but that was more just blind hope and loyalty.

I don't think we're the favorite with the Chiefs (and, to a lesser extent, the Bills), but I think we're definitely on the same level as both of them.

I do think we can handle the Chiefs in head-to-head and have a better record than them if our line holds up, but I just think we need to put it on the field first

I think we easily get to the AFC Championship and can win as long as our line holds up, but that's still a big question mark for me.

Having said all that, knowing now that we are contenders, the outside thoughts of all the "experts" and the rest of the public doesn't mean anything to me.
Reply/Quote
Best overall team roster I've seen since following bengals since inception so pretty much grab home field in playoffs and at least make SB.
Reply/Quote
It is nice to have high expectations and I'm definitely going into the season knowing a superbowl is possible. But my expectations are a little lower this year because I expect the defense to struggle with the losses in personnel we had. I think we can possibly offset that with the offense picking up the difference but with Burrows injury I have to expect us coming out of the gate slow again. I think it will be another fun year to be a Bengals fan with a lot more to come hopefully.
Reply/Quote
Burrows injury sets my expectations low. Honestly my expectations are always low since the ownership has been so awful in the past.

So when they are doing well I’m excited. When they are terrible, it’s expected.
Reply/Quote
I've been a Bengals fan a good bit longer than you. And I can honestly say I'm not sure I've ever had this kind of confidence going into a season. In 1980 we were 6-10 so 1981 was a surprise. Perhaps I had a bit of confidence with Boomer in the late 80's? But there again season before SB was like 5 wins or something?

With Palmer and ML I had some his hopes, for a minute. But then nearly every year my expectations went down. With Dalton it became fairly obvious not that far in that a playoff win was about the most one could hope for.

But short answer, yes, I like having way more confidence and higher expectations than ever before.
Reply/Quote
If the OL is legit look out. This team regardless of how it ends will be the best Bengal team ever.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I don't really worry about high expectations anymore. I feel like the team has proven to respond well under pressure.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 01:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Best overall team roster I've seen since following bengals since inception so pretty much grab home field in playoffs and at least make SB.

I think this is great and aligns with my expectations too.  Assuming injuries aren't a factor, this is an obnoxiously good team.  

Off topic, I wonder who else on this board was around to be a fan back then.  There's a few I'd guess but I'm not about to call anyone old lol.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I saw an analyst pick our games yesterday and had us down for 2 losses (1 to Baltimore, one to Pittsburgh). While I love that there is this much excitement for the team and the National Attention we are getting, I truly dread having to read posts from the same old posters who live in misery, declaring our season is over the first time we have to punt. The AFC is loaded, there are going to be ups and downs. Players are going to get hurt. 
Reply/Quote
It beats low expectations.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 02:31 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've been a Bengals fan a good bit longer than you. And I can honestly say I'm not sure I've ever had this kind of confidence going into a season. In 1980 we were 6-10 so 1981 was a surprise. Perhaps I had a bit of confidence with Boomer in the late 80's? But there again season before SB was like 5 wins or something?

With Palmer and ML I had some his hopes, for a minute. But then nearly every year my expectations went down. With Dalton it became fairly obvious not that far in that a playoff win was about the most one could hope for.

But short answer, yes, I like having way more confidence and higher expectations than ever before.

Those mid/late 80s teams always gave me hope going into the season, once Boomer arrived. Great Oline, really good RBs and WRs, really good TE. It was always how the defense was going to hold up for me. Wyche was innovative and the offense was explosive. It was a great time to be a Bengals fan, at the time.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 04:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Those mid/late 80s teams always gave me hope going into the season, once Boomer arrived. Great Oline, really good RBs and WRs, really good TE. It was always how the defense was going to hold up for me. Wyche was innovative and the offense was explosive. It was a great time to be a Bengals fan, at the time.

Oh yeah !

The late 80's and 05/06 is probably my two high points of elation in Bengal fandom, up until now of course.
Reply/Quote
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Unpopular opinion: I actually have LOWER expectations for this year. I don't think people realize how much losing Vonn Bell and Jesse Bates is going to set this team back. Go watch highlights from the last 2 seasons and see how many critical plays they made.
Reply/Quote
Brother, as I approach fitty, I'm just enjoying the ride. I had those expectations back when Boomer was running the no huddle. I expect a postseason win or two, and anything beyond that is gravy. After the decade of disappointment, followed by the gut wrenching playoff meltdowns, I'm just happy being a legit contender and winning in the postseason. I haven't been stressed watching a game since the Jerry Porter fiasco. Even when we got back to winning with Joe, I don't get too worked up because we're never out of it with these guys. Another great thing about this squad, they're so fun to watch.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2023, 04:08 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Those mid/late 80s teams always gave me hope going into the season, once Boomer arrived. Great Oline, really good RBs and WRs, really good TE. It was always how the defense was going to hold up for me. Wyche was innovative and the offense was explosive. It was a great time to be a Bengals fan, at the time.

Yep. Exactly this.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Agree that this is the best roster I have ever seen for a Bengals team, and I've been following them for 40 years. Defense....Offense...Special Teams...all phases have few weak spots. They've drafted really well, also. They've drafted knowing they had to replace players who were leaving, and brought in rookies who are just now starting to blossom to perhaps be better than those who left. Coaching has been sterling...especially the co-ordinators. Even Zac has been a welcome change from the confounding (but still likable) Marvin Lewis. Mike Brown keeps turning more and more over to Katie and her kids, who have proven to be the picture of how an NFL team should be run in a small market town. They keep the team's business out of the headlines (vs airing dirty laundry) and the players embrace that stance (see the exit of Eli Apple).

Lots and lots to be excited about.
Reply/Quote