Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you like going into the year with HIGH expectations?
(08-10-2023, 04:03 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Right, however we haven’t seen competent OL play either.  Remember that time burrow got sacked 9 times in one game?

And we still beat them Titans somehow with our Defense and DJ Reader specifically shutting down their run game.

If our OL can stay healthy and grow together our Offense as you say shouldn't be a problem in the Playoffs anymore if Burrow is healthy as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 12:32 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I’m with you here.

We can’t afford a postseason of buttcheek offense.

Well we’ve won 5-6 playoff games. The offense has outscored our opponents 62-39 in the playoffs the last 2 years in the second half. Can’t imagine the ridiculous amount of sacks had any bearing. Most teams don’t fare as well in the playoffs offensively. Maybe because the competition is better. The bottom line is there are lots of reasons for the offense struggling at times. Everybody has the answer. The answer is freaking block your man.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I am expecting the Bengals to win the SB this year. For real!
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2023, 12:32 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I’m with you here.

We can’t afford a postseason of buttcheek offense.

Well we’ve won 5-6 playoff games. The offense has outscored our opponents 62-39 in the playoffs the last 2 years in the second half. Can’t imagine the ridiculous amount of sacks had any bearing. Most teams don’t fare as well in the playoffs offensively. Maybe because the competition is better. The bottom line is there are lots of reasons for the offense struggling at times. Everybody has the answer. The answer is freaking block your other man.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 12:09 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: it's not about having high expectations. We all have high expectations. 

The question is if you enjoy having high expectations vs. going into the season with a chance, but not really expecting a Super Bowl (ala the Andy Years). 

Yes I enjoy the high expectation, like I said we've come close 2years in a row with a bad line.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2023, 05:11 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yes I enjoy the high expectation, like I said we've come close 2years in a row with a bad line.

Will be enjoying that SB win as Psych says even more...

And with it....

More high expectations. Cool
Reply/Quote
Seriously, people need to temper their expectations. I think we go back to the SB this year, but I am fully aware that path through the AFC is 100 times tougher than it is through the NFC. And even winning the AFCN is going to be difficult this year. We're probably going to have to punt a few times, suffer a few interceptions, get scored on once or twice.
Reply/Quote
Now that the season has reached the bye week, seems like as good a time as any to reflect back on what are expectation levels were at the onset of the year compared to now 6 games in.

Do you, still feel the same as you did in August about the Bengals' chances this year?

If yes, what changes in how the team has been operating do you expect them to address during the course of the bye week?

If no, what has caused you to change your opinion in such a relatively short span of time?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 01:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now that the season has reached the bye week, seems like as good a time as any to reflect back on what are expectation levels were at the onset of the year compared to now 6 games in.

Do you, still feel the same as you did in August about the Bengals' chances this year?

If yes, what changes in how the team has been operating do you expect them to address during the course of the bye week?

If no, what has caused you to change your opinion in such a relatively short span of time?

My gut feeling is nothing will really change.
The issues that were seen are going to be blamed on Burrow not being healthy enough to play like he normally does, and now that he's back playing normally they are winning.

I'd personally like to see something done at TE by the trade deadline, or at least call up Tanner Hudson.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 01:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My gut feeling is nothing will really change.
The issues that were seen are going to be blamed on Burrow not being healthy enough to play like he normally does, and now that he's back playing normally they are winning.

I'd personally like to see something done at TE by the trade deadline, or at least call up Tanner Hudson.

I'm not holding my breath for the team to add an outside TE in mid-season. (I just highly doubt anything of the sort will happen)  I would like to see some different looks on the field, in the way of formations, personnel packages and definitely in terms of play selection.

This team has good blocking TEs on the roster, they should take advantage and utilize them in the H-Back position as both lead blockers and as short route receivers.  Might add a little punch to the struggling between the tackles running game, and could offer some creative misdirection on Jet Sweeps and such.  Something, just anything to give opposing defenses more to have to think about before the snap.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 01:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now that the season has reached the bye week, seems like as good a time as any to reflect back on what are expectation levels were at the onset of the year compared to now 6 games in.

I'd say I don't feel as good about our chances right now, but predominantly that's due to the QB's health. It seems he's turning a corner on that which is good, but until we see a bit more from the offence it's tough to feel certain they'll get it going. OL seems to finally be going the right way with some consistency. TE has been a real drop off. Niners/Bills games will be a real gauntlet for seeing who we are this year.

Defence obviously had a bad one in Tennessee, but in general I think we've still got a top calibre defence that can win games if needed. That's reassuring for me.

Hope is that this year is a little like last year, play our best stuff when it matters. These last two games have certainly been a good step forward, and if we mix it with the teams we see in the 2nd half of our schedule, then no reason to think we aren't a contender.
Reply/Quote

Only thing I didn't expect was the effect the injury was going to have on Burrow's play. I think, like most, I expected us to start off slowly offensively but not take until week 5 or 6 to see us play more like what we did last year.

That said, my overall expectations are still on track. I still expect us to win the division, make the playoffs, make the AFCCG, win the AFCCG, make the Super Bowl and WIN the Super Bowl.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I am not optimistic. But its more so circumstantial than anything. Being a game out and having the Ravens, Steelers, and now the emerging Browns as a threat to all win the division really hurts our chances.

This team needed a fast start due to their schedule and they didn't really get it. I know it's because Burrow was hurt more than anything else, but it is what it is.

That being said, they still have it all in front of them. Certainly not out of it yet but its going to be a lot harder this year than it was in years past.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I watched last season, I am not betting against this team and think the coaches will get it together and at the very least make
our weakest link in Frank Pollack not hurt us in the end. We are about to go on a run and Zac, Lou and the coaches will get it
together are my thoughts at this time. Last couple of years I didn't think we would do what we have done.

After the bye, injuries shouldn't be as much of a problem as they have been specifically with Burrow, Higgins and Ossai.

Much needed rest before we play 2 very good teams that we will be able to prepare for is just the medicine we need IMO.
Reply/Quote
Nothing beats thinking you can TRULY win a Super Bowl.

Wouldn’t trade this for anything
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I think we will make the playoffs again, but as a WC this year. From there anything can happen.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 10:22 PM)Housh Wrote: Nothing beats thinking you can TRULY win a Super Bowl.

Wouldn’t trade this for anything

This times a million. I don’t miss the days of writing to Geoff Hobson every year about why the Bengals don’t sign free agents and why is Marvin coming back for another season. I also don’t miss wondering if I’d ever see a playoff victory before I died and growing up watching the 90’s Bengals. The Bengals are finally run like a real franchise, 4 years in a row of signing big free agents, paying their own , practice bubble , ring of honor and selling naming rights to their stadium.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 09:43 AM)lone bengal Wrote: This times a million. I don’t miss the days of writing to Geoff Hobson every year about why the Bengals don’t sign free agents and why is Marvin coming back for another season. I also don’t miss wondering if I’d ever see a playoff victory before I died and growing up watching the 90’s Bengals. The Bengals are finally run like a real franchise, 4 years in a row of signing big free agents, paying their own , practice bubble , ring of honor and selling naming rights to their stadium.

How about the threads after game 1 about which college players are gonna be in the draft?

This is much more fun
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 02:22 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am not optimistic. But its more so circumstantial than anything. Being a game out and having the Ravens, Steelers, and now the emerging Browns as a threat to all win the division really hurts our chances.

This team needed a fast start due to their schedule and they didn't really get it. I know it's because Burrow was hurt more than anything else, but it is what it is.

That being said, they still have it all in front of them. Certainly not out of it yet but its going to be a lot harder this year than it was in years past.

After 6 weeks:

2021 - 4 and 2. Remaining opponents had a combined 56% win percentage (as of end of week 6). Bengals go 6-5.

2022 - 3 and 3. Remaining opponents had a combined 49% win percentage. Bengals go 9-1 with a NA for bills.

2023 - 3 and 3. Remaining opponents have a combined 62% win percentage.

So yes, it “seems” like a harder road ahead. However, we still get 3 of the AFCs teams, and three AFCS teams I feel we match up well against, titans are the outlier.

My prediction is we go 1-1 out of the bye (unsure who we beat/lose to). Weeks 9-15 we win out (Texans, ravens, Steelers, jags, colts, Vikings, Steelers), and then drop the chiefs, and beat the browns in week 17. 11-5 finish. Maybe that’s the division, maybe a wild card.
Reply/Quote