Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you prepare for the Steelers?
Obviously for the defense, working on tackling never hurts. And emphasizing ball security to the offense. Do you try to prepare some trick plays? Work on 2nd level blocking? Bring Obarski back for a FG kicking competition w/Nuge?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Emphasize tackling. A lot of tackling. Pittsburgh's offense is so damn good that if we don't tackle, we're gonna get gashed for 50 points. Regardless they will probably still score 30 on the Bengals above-average defense.

Also they will need to scheme good blitz packages on Ben. Hit him with some safety/corner blitzes. Surprise him. Hit him. If we can't get to him 5+ times, it's gonna be a long day for the secondary.

Offensively, we need to go to Eifert. We all saw what Gronk did to them. A player of Eifert's caliber with this favorable of a matchup? Bengals need to gameplan around him.

The Bengals need to establish some semblance of a ground game too. If they can average 4+ ypc, it's gonna be a long day for Pittsburgh's defense.

Honestly, it's a pretty even matchup. Have to give the edge to the Stoolers because their at home.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 04:02 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Obviously for the defense, working on tackling never hurts. And emphasizing ball security to the offense. Do you try to prepare some trick plays? Work on 2nd level blocking? Bring Obarski back for a FG kicking competition w/Nuge?

I'll put it simply. If we play fundamentally sound, then the better team will win.
Reply/Quote
We don't have the defense that's just going to shut Bell down (linebackers). Therefore we have to come up with some blitzes to keep max pressure on an even more immobile BigJen. We have to get out to a lead and keep it to limit Bell's use/production.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 04:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We don't have the defense that's just going to shut Bell down (linebackers). Therefore we have to come up with some blitzes to keep max pressure on an even more immobile BigJen. We have to get out to a lead and keep it to limit Bell's use/production.

When it comes to the run game I think it will be super important to maintain gap discipline. Bell is best after he has some momentum, so if we have gap integrity and swarm to the ball he could be having a 1 and 2 yard gains kind of game.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 04:32 PM)treee Wrote: When it comes to the run game I think it will be super important to maintain gap discipline. Bell is best after he has some momentum, so if we have gap integrity and swarm to the ball he could be having a 1 and 2 yard gains kind of game.

Do you plan to fade a safety extra deep to account for the deep pass to Brown? 

I'm going on the assumption that Ben is back, which seems pretty certain: http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2015/10/steelers_roethlisberger_practices_drops.html

Do you coach the blitzers to be careful to only get clean hits on him? Or do you just say 'Go all out'. For that matter, what unit or players need to work on getting fewer penalties?

Reply/Quote
Tyler Eifert (they can't cover TE's), and we have to keep that O off the field. May want to scrap the big play quick scores and go for a more ball control gameplan.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Make Ben move, move and move some more. He might be 100%, he might get great protection and he might torch us. The situation, their pass blocking and our successful pass rush thus far this year says otherwise.
Reply/Quote
Quick start attack the Steelers middling secondary. Take away Bell get Ben off his spot he will try to force plays and throw picks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Stay in your lanes to protect against Bell's cut-back.

The Steelers' line is pretty horrible, so we might not need it, but I'd work on stunts and blitzes because, if we give Ben time, he'll pick us apart, and I got even more scared of that when I saw Bryant play the way he did in his first game back. Make Ben move on his injured knee.

PROTECT THE BALL!

This game freaks me out because we need Hill to carry the load to take us to the next level, but the Steelers defense has the most fumbles on the year with 6, and Hill fumbling could mean that he never gets the job back.

That goes for all of our players: WRAP-UP THE BALL!
Reply/Quote
The same way I prepare for every  team, every  week....

By cracking open a cold one @ 12:30pm, and firing one up at approximately 1 pm.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 05:54 PM)jason Wrote: The same way I prepare for every  team, every  week....

By cracking open a cold one @ 12:30pm, and firing one up at approximately 1 pm.

I opened this thread just to make this response....but you already had it. Rep.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 04:02 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Obviously for the defense, working on tackling never hurts. And emphasizing ball security to the offense. Do you try to prepare some trick plays? Work on 2nd level blocking? Bring Obarski back for a FG kicking competition w/Nuge?

Our tackling needs to get better, especially Kirkpatrick.  I understand he's been playing hurt though.   Ben R will be playing, I have no doubt.  I'm  a little worried about the secondary.  On the other hand he should be less mobile, which should be good news for Dunlap and co.  

Pittsburgh is 9th against the run and 27th against the pass.    AJ, Eifert, Jones, etc can have a great day.  
Reply/Quote
Prepare for 30 points needed to win
Reply/Quote
You prepare for the Steelers by taking full advantage of the bye week; by resting anyone that has been dinged up, stressing fundamental execution, and preparing to trade blows with the bullies of the block.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Really if the defense plays disciplined and also tackles properly we can hold their offense to 20 or even less - they make a LOT of their stuff off of broken tackles and cutbacks. And offensively don't turn it over and use all our weapons. We should score more than 20 that way which would mean a win.
Reply/Quote
Watched Bengals/steeler games from 2013-2014....its simple TACKLE!!! Steelers YAC was off the charts. #84 has gashed us on ST (two TDs)....Limit YAC.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2015, 08:25 PM)maanster Wrote: Watched Bengals/steeler games from 2013-2014....its simple TACKLE!!! Steelers YAC was off the charts. #84 has gashed us on ST (two TDs)....Limit YAC.

^^^

Ben should be back by then too.  AB is gonna be a problem again.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
If they can't run the ball then it'll be a long day for the Squealers. They do have some deep threats, but a 3rd string qb or a gimpy Rothlisrapist won't have a ton of time to throw if the d-line wins their battles. Front 7 play is going to be huge.
Reply/Quote
I read all of the posts and they are valid. But in the most simplistic approach I can think is The Bengals need to ball up their fists and punch the Steelers in the mouth.

Two very good offenses and two very average defenses.

This is a game they have to out "tough" them
Reply/Quote