Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
How does Taylor stack up to worst coaches in NFL history?
(10-13-2020, 03:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Through first 21 games

Taylor..............3-17-1
Tom Landry......4-16-1
Chuck Knoll.......4-17-0
Bill Parcells.........6-14-1

Although interesting, I'm going to postulate Zac's coaching career goes a different direction than Landry, Knoll, and Parcells.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 04:29 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Taylor needs.to starting looking like he can hang with
The rest of the AFC North.so far hes looking like he cant
The margain of loss is 26 pts per game. If he cant win 2 games vs

AFC north teams have outscore us by 12.3 points per game.

Not good, but not even half as bad as you claim.
Reply/Quote

Tom Landry......4-16-1
Chuck Knoll.......4-17-0

Landry and Knoll were hampered by no FA. They had to build through the draft and develop players. Now teams just drop some cash on a good player and you’re instantly improved, ideally.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 05:10 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Landry and Knoll were hampered by no FA. They had to build through the draft and develop players. Now teams just drop some cash on a good player and your instantly improved, ideally.

Same with Parcells.

FA started in 1993 and salary cap started in 1994.
Cincinnati hasn't advanced in the playoffs since before those two things happened...
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 03:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If nothing else, Mike Brown is a fair man. He will look at the free agent money he spent, but he will also realize Waynes never saw the field, Reader is gone for the season, Alexander is out for an undetermined time, as is XFS. The only FAs we have actually seeing the field are Bell and Bynes.....

I was very happy when they made unprecedented investments into the worst D in the league last year. It was about time.

But who in the hell is responsible for totally ignoring/helping to increase the O line disaster.

How do you draft Burrow and thinks its ok to keep the same shit show we saw last year?

I love Higgins and the LB we took in third round but you can't tell me that the o lineman we could have picked in 2 and 3 are not better than what we have been putting out there for two or three consecutive years.

And then there is the recurring nightmare of taking Price in the first round  an obscure tight end in the second round in 2018.

Does Taylor bear an responsibility for these mind blowing misses on personnel decisions?
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: AFC north teams have outscore us by 12.3 points per game.

Not good, but not even half as bad as you claim.

I guess those 3 blowouts  By the Ravens and Steelers is still resonating with me. 
Zac has lost 3 North games by 24 24 and 36 points.
One coming last week and Zac brilliantly added a FG for a moral victory. 
Thats the thing about he acts like he has years to turn this 
Culture around. He doesnt. 
The Bengals identity since he arrived is a losing one
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 05:33 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I was very happy when they made unprecedented investments into the worst D in the league last year. It was about time.

But who in the hell is responsible for totally ignoring/helping to increase the O line disaster.

How do you draft Burrow and thinks its ok to keep the same shit show we saw last year?

I love Higgins and the LB we took in third round but you can't tell me that the o lineman we could have picked in 2 and 3 are not better than what we have been putting out there for two or three consecutive years.

And then there is the recurring nightmare of taking Price in the first round  an obscure tight end in the second round in 2018.

Does Taylor bear an responsibility for these mind blowing misses on personnel decisions?

To give a bit of defense to Taylor, his staff did not pick Price. He was from Marvin-Pollack.

XSF and Williams do seem to be upgrades over their 2019 counterparts, which helps, but that's still not enough.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 04:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: He's tied with Dick LeBeau for that honor....not that it's honorable...lol.

Who is tied with LeBeau?

Reply/Quote
Ill give another example of why coaching matters. After the Eagles tied us they had 1 starter remaining on their oline and had their 5th and 6th T's playing number 4 receiver was forced into being their number 1. playing a 49er team with a nasty dline. What did they do? not make excuses and got the W.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 02:24 PM)BengalChris Wrote: No worries, there's still time for Zac to get those extra losses to overtake Mornhinweg. By the way, Shula was 8-24 in his first two seasons. Taylor needs 5 more wins this season to catch up to him. Taylor already has the worst first year for a Bengals' head coach.

When a coach is this far down the list, a career change is in order.

Shula arguably had a better team to start his Head Coaching career.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 02:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Zac Taylor currently has a winning percentage of 0.167 (3 wins, 1 tie out of 21 games).

I was curious to see where that stacked up compared to other coaches in NFL history.
I found the following article posted back in Feb of this year of the list of worst winning percentage by head coach with at least 10+ games - https://medium.com/sportsraid/the-12-worst-head-coaches-in-nfl-history-c5dec58e3684

For those who just want the answer...

Taylor would currently slot as the 2nd-worst in NFL history behind only Marty Mornhinweg (0.156).
Hue is at 0.196 because of his time as HC in OAK, making him higher than Taylor. If you just went off his CLE record, Hue would be at 0.075, worst in NFL history.

Taylor is currently worse than Dave Shula (0.267). However, Shula was given 4.5 years, so Taylor could end up being better than Shula if given the same amount of tenure.

Time will tell.

What was Chuck Noll record 1 1/2 into his career? He was 3 and 17..hmm
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 06:14 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Ill give another example of why coaching matters. After the Eagles tied us they had 1 starter remaining on their oline and had their 5th and 6th T's playing number 4 receiver was forced into being their number 1. playing a 49er team with a nasty dline. What did they do? not make excuses and got the W.

The 49ers were also missing a ton of starters.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 10:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What was Chuck Noll record 1 1/2 into his career? He was 3 and 17..hmm

Hue Jackson had 8 wins as a HC by this point.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 04:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Injuries are not an excuse, but they are part of the equation, and any valid evaluation takes them into consideration. Does anyone think Reader and a healthy Geno playing beside each other wouldn't make a difference? Or having a healthy AJ Green wouldn't open up the offense? You're kidding yourself. Our backups have played well, but there's a reason the starters are starters.

Not addressing the OL more urgently in FA is damn near unforgivable,  given who we drafted 1st. And coach Taylor played a significant part of that blunder, given what we know about the inner workings of management. 
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 11:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hue Jackson had 8 wins as a HC by this point.

And that means what Noll Landy should have been fired
Reply/Quote

Tom Landry......4-16-1
Chuck Knoll.......4-17-0

WhoDey2 Fred, set aside your numbers for a second. What's your eye test tell you??
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
If we decide to move on from Taylor, I'm very interested to see where he lands next. Would another NFL team give him a shot as OC? Back to being a position coach? Would he head back to college? 

Usually when a HC is let go, you can kind of figure out where they will land. I truly have no idea where Taylor would go if we fire him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 01:03 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If we decide to move on from Taylor, I'm very interested to see where he lands next. Would another NFL team give him a shot as OC? Back to being a position coach? Would he head back to college? 

Usually when a HC is let go, you can kind of figure out where they will land. I truly have no idea where Taylor would go if we fire him.

I can’t imagine any team wanting him as their OC.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 12:02 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: And that means what Noll Landy should have been fired

In saying stats can be misused.  Elway didn't win his first SB until he was 37 so clearly we gave up on Dalton too soon and drafting Burrow was a mistake. 

If ZT can be a HC with 4 super bowls Dalton can be Elway. 
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 01:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I can’t imagine any team wanting him as their OC.

This

He has never been an OC.

He was just a QB coach with the Rams.
Reply/Quote