Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How good can Tee Higgins be?
(04-14-2021, 08:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was going to read the responses before answering and you identified the pro day errors.  He also only had a 31" vertical and 4.53 short shuttle.  All those numbers added up equaled on thing:  He tested in the lower 10th percentile of WRs.  

Now, he had an injury at the end of the season, which might have prevented him from a lot of "combine training" immediately following his bowl game but those numbers were clearly disappointing.  Sure, there are always examples of guys not running a blazing 40 time that go on to be excellent WRs, but all those numbers taken together add up to a lot of contested catches.  Thankfully, that is one of his biggest strengths.  

Burrow also knows how to "throw a guy open", and Higgins also has a massive catch radius.  

Do I love Higgins?  Yes.  Same as Boyd, but that doesn't mean they don't need a WR like Chase.  It reminds me a bit of the Manning-led Colts.  Their belief was that their fourth best receiving option was better than your fourth best cover man, and Manning could find that mismatch quickly.  Your point about AJ still drawing the opposing team's #1 cover guy is valid, and Boyd did against the Ravens (two of the worst offensive outputs we had all season).  Higgins is a bit, reliable target with a massive catch radius that can move the chains, be a weapon in the red zone, and if he draws a team's #3 cover option, make a lot of hey in the year's to come.  

I didn't expect Tee to fall to us last season in the 2nd and probably the only reason was those combine numbers.

Also, I might add that Anquan Boldin had a fine career and was no blazer and was like 2 or 3 inches shorter than Tee.

I honestly don't know how good Tee can be, he seems so young and to do what he did as a rookie was very telling.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 01:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I didn't expect Tee to fall to us last season in the 2nd and probably the only reason was those combine numbers.

Also, I might add that Anquan Boldin had a fine career and was no blazer and was like 2 or 3 inches shorter than Tee.

I honestly don't know how good Tee can be, he seems so young and to do what he did as a rookie was very telling.

Right... Can never predict a career to many variables.

But currently based on what we have seen the outlook is favorable for a fine career.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 10:33 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think Higgins is fast. He just has "long" speed. The Bengals need at least one EXPLOSIVE target. They have none at the moment.

"Top speed", or "long speed" as you call it, is more important to a "deep threat" who can "take the top off the defense".

Long tall receivers often have slower 40 times but a greater top speed.  Guys like Green and Chris Henry are perfect examples.  Neither had elite forty yard dash times, but their "long speed" made them great deep threats.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2021, 01:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I didn't expect Tee to fall to us last season in the 2nd and probably the only reason was those combine numbers.

If Higgins can end up being a Boldin, we will be in great shape.  I remember thinking Joe Flaccid should have given about half of his contract after his amazing Super Bowl run.  Boldin was just sick during that run.  Flaccid would just chuck it in his direction and Q would come down with it.  Every. Single. Time. 

I am thrilled with Higgins and think he could be even better with a full offseason and more conditioning.  If you have Higgins, Boyd, and Chase as the WR group, Mixon the primary back, Uzo/Sample/Moss as the TEs, I really like the way the offense looks.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If Higgins can end up being a Boldin, we will be in great shape.  I remember thinking Joe Flaccid should have given about half of his contract after his amazing Super Bowl run.  Boldin was just sick during that run.  Flaccid would just chuck it in his direction and Q would come down with it.  Every. Single. Time. 

I am thrilled with Higgins and think he could be even better with a full offseason and more conditioning.  If you have Higgins, Boyd, and Chase as the WR group, Mixon the primary back, Uzo/Sample/Moss as the TEs, I really like the way the offense looks.  

Anquan had great hands, this is one thing Tee needs to work on as he had a few bad drops last year. That is stacked weapon
wise and as long as the O-line is decent could be a top Offense if they stay relatively healthy with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 01:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: "Top speed", or "long speed" as you call it, is more important to a "deep threat" who can "take the top off the defense".

Long tall receivers often have slower 40 times but a greater top speed.  Guys like Green and Chris Henry are perfect examples.  Neither had elite forty yard dash times, but their "long speed" made them great deep threats.

- To your point on the 40, it's so outdated as a metric the NFL is working on eliminating it from the combine & pro days.

- I think it's perfectly fine to have different kinds of receivers, not everyone is going to have the same skill set or be good at doing the same things.

- Tee Higgins is not an explosive athlete, but he is still a great athlete. I have nothing bad to say about him as a player. He was kind of dogged a bit by pundits during the draft process last year, but I had him as my favorite WR in last years draft. I was thrilled the Bengals took him as he was my choice when day 2 opened.

- Something the Bengals do lack in Higgins and Boyd is suddenness and explosiveness. The ability to hit a slant or a screen and break free through traffic for long gains, for example. I think that, in Taylor's offense, a player like that is needed and would shine.

I had hopes the light would come on so that Ross could've been that guy and salvaged his career with the Bengals last season to get re-signed.. We saw shades of it in 2019, but he just couldn't make it happen throughout a whole season.

An explosive athlete like that at WR would open things up for Higgins, Mixon AND Boyd. Looking for big things from The offense this coming season!
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 06:53 PM)PDub80 Wrote: - To your point on the 40, it's so outdated as a metric the NFL is working on eliminating it from the combine & pro days.

- I think it's perfectly fine to have different kinds of receivers, not everyone is going to have the same skill set or be good at doing the same things.

- Tee Higgins is not an explosive athlete, but he is still a great athlete. I have nothing bad to say about him as a player. He was kind of dogged a bit by pundits during the draft process last year, but I had him as my favorite WR in last years draft. I was thrilled the Bengals took him as he was my choice when day 2 opened.

- Something the Bengals do lack in Higgins and Boyd is suddenness and explosiveness. The ability to hit a slant or a screen and break free through traffic for long gains, for example. I think that, in Taylor's offense, a player like that is needed and would shine.

I had hopes the light would come on so that Ross could've been that guy and salvaged his career with the Bengals last season to get re-signed.. We saw shades of it in 2019, but he just couldn't make it happen throughout a whole season.

An explosive athlete like that at WR would open things up for Higgins, Mixon AND Boyd. Looking for big things from The offense this coming season!

Dyami Brown - I can not say that name enough lol. He is going to be special and absolutely a perfect pick at 38 if Marshall doesn't make it there.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 06:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Dyami Brown - I can not say that name enough lol. He is going to be special and absolutely a perfect pick at 38 if Marshall doesn't make it there.

I like Dyami, also like Nico Collins who is 6'4" as you know. Doubt Nico lasts all the way to the 4th round like I have in my Mock.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Dyami, also like Nico Collins who is 6'4" as you know. Doubt Nico lasts all the way to the 4th round like I have in my Mock.

So what we need is

1 - Sewell
2 - Dyami
3 - Meinerz
4 - Nico Collins

That might fix the offense.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So what we need is

1 - Sewell
2 - Dyami
3 - Meinerz
4 - Nico Collins

BOOM!!!Twitch
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 06:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Dyami Brown - I can not say that name enough lol. He is going to be special and absolutely a perfect pick at 38 if Marshall doesn't make it there.

I don't see it.  Marshall seems like a much more talented WR.  Who really knows though? LOL
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:07 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So what we need is

1 - Sewell
2 - Dyami
3 - Meinerz
4 - Nico Collins

I would prefer

1. Chase WR
2. Cleveland (aka Zangief)/Leatherwood RG
3. Milton Williams DT
4. Hudson OT
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:54 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I would prefer

1. Chase WR
2. Cleveland (aka Zangief) RG
3. Milton Williams DT
4. Hudson OT

This is fantastic as well. So many ways, let me count them...
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:54 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I don't see it.  Marshall seems like a much more talented WR.  Who really knows though? LOL

I'd take Marshall over Brown for the instant production. But I honestly feel when they look back at this draft in 5 years which is what they usually say is the right time to look back and evaluate it, Brown will be the name from the WR class everyone talks about as the "how did he last till day 2" guy?

He fights through tackles, gets great separation, has plenty of speed and size. 

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is fantastic as well. So many ways, let me count them...

I amended it to add Leatherwood as an option to Cleveland in the 2nd.

I guess that's the fun part. All of the different ways it plays out.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:00 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I amended it to add Leatherwood as an option to Cleveland in the 2nd.

I guess that's the fun part. All of the different ways it plays out.

Also great. Leatherwood was more than solid in the SEC for years, cannot base everything on the Senior Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Also great. Leatherwood was more than solid in the SEC for years, cannot base everything on the Senior Bowl.

Either one would olay RG just fine!
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:54 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I don't see it.  Marshall seems like a much more talented WR.  Who really knows though? LOL

If the Bengals would be willing to go Sewell at 5 and trade back up into the 1st for Marshall I would jump off the Chase train so fast I’d probably break an ankle lol.

Marshall won’t be there at 38 though.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If the Bengals would be willing to go Sewell at 5 and trade back up into the 1st for Marshall I would jump off the Chase train so fast I’d probably break an ankle lol.

Marshall won’t be there at 38 though.

Exactly.  They get two guys of need that can immediately improve their group.

I think it's worth it.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I believe he'll crack 2,000 yards this year...
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote