Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How good is Tee Higgin really?
When we talk about wide receivers, their qb, or lack thereof is always a consideration when looking at their LACK of production. Looking at Tee, how much of his production comes from,

The Bengals scheme, being a pass heavy offense.

Having Joe Burrow as a QB.

Being the second option behind Chase (like TJ benefitted from having Chad drawing all of the attention).

Having a porous defense and an ineffective rushing attack that didn't allow for shut out games.

Just thinking when you factor it all in, maybe he's not as good as some think, and why he is not being pursued hot and heavy as a trade target, not even taking his injury history into consideration... With that same line of thinking, the scheme, qb, surrounding talent taking away attention, maybe that is why Boyd is not swimming in offers and still a free agent?
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 02:21 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: When we talk about wide receivers, their qb, or lack thereof is always a consideration when looking at their LACK of production. Looking at Tee, how much of his production comes from,

Being the second option behind Chase (like TJ benefitted from having Chad drawing all of the attention).

Having a porous defense and an ineffective rushing attack that didn't allow for shut out games.

Just thinking when you factor it all in, maybe he's not as good as some think, and why he is not being pursued hot and heavy as a trade target, not even taking his injury history into consideration... With that same line of thinking, the scheme, qb, surrounding talent taking away attention, maybe that is why Boyd is not swimming in offers and still a free agent?

TwitchFreakout

Watch out Rugby, they will be coming for you lol

Tee is really good when healthy and one of the top #2 WR's in the NFL when healthy. But honestly if we do keep him here on the Tag this 
year I only expect around 700-800 yards and about 6 or 7 TD's. To me this isn't the hardest thing to replace with Joe Burrow throwing the 
ball and Ja'Marr Chase taking so much of Defense's attention.

People need to accept the reality that Tee wants to be paid like a #1 WR even if he isn't one and that he won't be here after this season.

We aren't going to Tag him twice like some posters have said, that never happens and would piss him off.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 02:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: TwitchFreakout

Watch out Rugby, they will be coming for you lol

Tee is really good when healthy and one of the top #2 WR's in the NFL when healthy. But honestly if we do keep him here on the Tag this 
year I only expect around 700-800 yards and about 6 or 7 TD's. To me this isn't the hardest thing to replace with Joe Burrow throwing the 
ball and Ja'Marr Chase taking so much of Defense's attention.

People need to accept the reality that Tee wants to be paid like a #1 WR even if he isn't one and that he won't be here after this season.

We aren't going to Tag him twice like some posters have said, that never happens and would piss him off.

With respect to the bolded part, I think that it will likely be very tough to justify spending what the second tag would cost given what his numbers project to be. And as for how good Tee is or isn't, like I've said before it's put up or shut up time for him this year and we're going to learn plenty about his ability level, as are all the teams he wants to pay him the big bucks (assuming he stays healthy that is). 
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
A little better than Marvin Jones.

One of the best #2s you'll ever find. Deserves his chance at being a #1. Will certainly get paid to be somewhere.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tee Higgins is Joe Burrow's iso target against cover 2 man.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 02:21 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: When we talk about wide receivers, their qb, or lack thereof is always a consideration when looking at their LACK of production. Looking at Tee, how much of his production comes from,

Tee Higgins wasn't behind Ja'Marr Chase as a rookie, and he did just fine playing with the Ghost of AJ Green and Brandon Allen for half the year. In fact Team Sewell's rallying cry was we don't need Ja'Marr Chase because we have Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd.

I'm not sure that we know what kind of offers they're getting for Tee Higgins. I do know that Tee Higgins is a pretty damn good WR.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think Tee is a good #2 receiver on this team and could be a #1 on some other teams. I think a better question would be is to ask Joe Burrow how important keeping Tee here would be to him and the team. If Joe really values Tee here, I would tell Joe, we will do our best to keep him but Joe may have to restructure his deal to make it happen. If I were the FO, I would and maybe they have sought Burrow's input on the matter. I have no idea.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 02:59 PM)chrisball96 Wrote: With respect to the bolded part, I think that it will likely be very tough to justify spending what the second tag would cost given what his numbers project to be. And as for how good Tee is or isn't, like I've said before it's put up or shut up time for him this year and we're going to learn plenty about his ability level, as are all the teams he wants to pay him the big bucks (assuming he stays healthy that is). 

Damn rights, I hope if we keep Tee here on the Tag he has his best season of his career and gets major dough.

But going off of last year, him being in a contract year and not producing due to injury I have my doubts. Which is why I am for 
trading Tee while adding the pieces that can produce the numbers I predict Tee to have this year, while freeing up that 22 mil.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 03:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn rights, I hope if we keep Tee here on the Tag he has his best season of his career and gets major dough.

But going off of last year, him being in a contract year and not producing due to injury I have my doubts. Which is why I am for 
trading Tee while adding the pieces that can produce the numbers I predict Tee to have this year, while freeing up that 22 mil.

Injury wasn't the only factor with Tee last year though. Joe Burrow was absolute ass for the first month of the season. Tee missed what?... 5 games? Factor that in with Burrow sucking while playing with the calf, and Jake Browning throwing to him for a chunk of the season and we have a more complete picture of Tee Higgins in 2023.

If Burrow stays healthy Ja'Marr Chase is gonna explode this year with or without Tee. That explosion would've happened last year, but gimpy Joe hampered him early, and Browning (with his limitations), and Chase's own injuries held him back a bit... But yeah; Ja'Marr Chase will be the best WR in the NFL this year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It's hard to say... I personally think he's a #1 on the 16-32 teams. But I would also argue he's a #1 on a team like the Ravens who are good but prioritize running.

Huge issues as already noted is he gets injured too often to rely on. So you pay him #1 money for a little over half a season.

I just couldn't do it knowing we have Chase and the WR position is slowly becoming the new RB where there's quite a bit of them coming out of the draft.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 04:01 PM)jason Wrote: Injury wasn't the only factor with Tee last year though. Joe Burrow was absolute ass for the first month of the season. Tee missed what?... 5 games? Factor that in with Burrow sucking while playing with the calf, and Jake Browning throwing to him for a chunk of the season and we have a more complete picture of Tee Higgins in 2023.

If Burrow stays healthy Ja'Marr Chase is gonna explode this year with or without Tee. That explosion would've happened last year, but gimpy Joe hampered him early, and Browning (with his limitations), and Chase's own injuries held him back a bit... But yeah; Ja'Marr Chase will be the best WR in the NFL this year.

Completely agree, lots of factors in why Tee had a poor year. Also agree that Ja'Marr is about to explode this year if they can stay healthy.

It is time to go back to breaking records regardless if Tee is here or not. If Tee is here, like I said, hope he has his best season to date.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 04:16 PM)QueenCity Wrote: It's hard to say... I personally think he's a #1 on the 16-32 teams. But I would also argue he's a #1 on a team like the Ravens who are good but prioritize running.

Huge issues as already noted is he gets injured too often to rely on. So you pay him #1 money for a little over half a season.

I just couldn't do it knowing we have Chase and the WR position is slowly becoming the new RB where there's quite a bit of them coming out of the draft.

I don't know where the half a season narrative comes from. Tee was a health scratch week 1 in 2020 (that's on Zac Taylor), and left the last game of the year due to injury. He missed 2 game in 2021, 1 game in 2022, and missed 5 last year. I know he exited early a time or two in 2022. So he's missed 8 games in 4 seasons due to injury. Joe Burrow has missed 13 over that same span.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Real good.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 04:26 PM)jason Wrote: I don't know where the half a season narrative comes from. Tee was a health scratch week 1 in 2020 (that's on Zac Taylor), and left the last game of the year due to injury. He missed 2 game in 2021, 1 game in 2022, and missed 5 last year. I know he exited early a time or two in 2022. So he's missed 8 games in 4 seasons due to injury. Joe Burrow has missed 13 over that same span.

When he's such an important part of the offense it really magnifies the issue if he's out or constantly banged up and or taking a series or two off.

I don't know the numbers and many casuals don't either but enough people bring it up to make it a real conversation. 

The main point really is do you want to pay him #1 money with Chase on the team.... I do not.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
We've been spoiled by some great wr1's so that's a tough question for this fan base. For teams that haven't had wr1's like we have over the years, Tee probably still looks pretty good to them, and he's shined in the playoffs which always gives players a boost.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tee-higgins-testing-numbers-only-confirm-what-we-knew/

Tee really didn't test great in his pre draft workouts.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 05:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: We've been spoiled by some great wr1's so that's a tough question for this fan base. For teams that haven't had wr1's like we have over the years, Tee probably still looks pretty good to them, and he's shined in the playoffs which always gives players a boost.

True, we have had really good WR's around here.

But other teams that win Super Bowls have been spoiled in the trenches (exception cleveland of course).

(04-05-2024, 06:03 PM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tee-higgins-testing-numbers-only-confirm-what-we-knew/

That is why he fell out of the first round, I never thought he was an option, thought Tee would of gotten picked in the first for sure.
Reply/Quote
Tee Higgins is better than Tee Higgin.

[Image: 1f03d8efe5638e966e3c242cdee32dd2.gif]
Reply/Quote
He's a top 20 WR in the prime of his career!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2024, 06:03 PM)Goalpost Wrote: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tee-higgins-testing-numbers-only-confirm-what-we-knew/

Well, that's likely why he was available at pick #33...

Quote:
TEE HIGGINS
CLEMSON
WR
Prospect Info
COLLEGE
Clemson
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Oak Ridge, TN
Junior

HEIGHT
6’ 4’’
WEIGHT
216 lbs
ARM
34 1/8’’
HAND
9 1/4’’
Prospect Grade
Will Eventually Be Plus Starter

[Image: Next_Gen_Stats.svg]
76Good
View All Prospects

2020 Draft Results

DRAFTED BY
CINCINNATI
BENGALS
[Image: CIN]Round 2 ‧ Pick 1
Read More

[Image: Next_Gen_Stats.svg]
Score Breakdown
Score Breakdown

Production Score
2020 Combine WR Rank: 4th
Athleticism Score *est
2020 Combine WR Rank: 53rd
Total Score
2020 Combine WR Rank: 13th

Player Bio

Higgins was a dominant player at Oak Ridge High School in Tennessee, winning the state's Class AAAAA Mr. Football award as a junior and senior, garnering second-team USA Today All-American honors and ranking as one of the top 20 recruits in the country. His athleticism also reached the hardwood, as he was a finalist for Tennessee's Mr. Basketball award as a junior. He showed flashes of brilliance as a true freshman for the Tigers in 2017, playing in 13 games as a backup receiver (17 catches, 345 yards, 20.3 yards per catch, two TDs). Higgins and the Tigers' other talented young receivers helped lead Clemson to a national title in 2018. He was a second-team All-ACC selection and started 15 games as a sophomore, leading the squad in receptions (59 for 936 yards, 15.9 yards per catch) and receiving TDs (12). Higgins posted three catches for 81 yards, including a touchdown, in the title-game victory over Alabama. He led the national runners-up in receiving yards as a junior (59 catches, 1,167 yards, 19.8 yards per catch, 13 TDs), garnering first-team All-ACC recognition. Higgins finished his Clemson career tied for the most receiving touchdowns in school history (27) with NFL stars DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins.

Analysis

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 2
NFL Comparison
A.J. Green

Overview
Long, angular frame with cheat-code body control and ball skills when attacking downfield. Higgins is leggy getting off of the press, but those same leggy strides are weapons of separation that help create big plays. He's played all three receiver spots and can be moved around to match up against cornerbacks. His size and "above the rim" talent make him a uniquely dangerous playmaker deep and in the red zone. The transition to NFL press corners will be an early challenge that could take some time to solve, but he's an instinctive ball-winner whose traits should win out and make him a very good NFL starter.

Strengths
Plays to his long frame game in and game out. Scored a touchdown on 20 percent of his catches at Clemson. Played all three receiver spots. Can be used to create mismatches against size-deficient cornerbacks. Uses subtle speed changes in routes to game the coverage. Long strides are ground-gainers on speed turns and posts. Creates considerable coverage panic and draws pass-interference penalties. Rare instincts once the ball goes up. Maintains feel for defender, then separates late for better catch space. Makes proper adjustments to ball almost every time. Rises highest for high-point victories. Soft hands pluck and hide the ball away from catch-point bandits. Reliable target in space against zone.

Weaknesses
Frequently beat up on lesser cornerback competition. Unimaginative press release. Cornerbacks mirror and delay his entrance into the route. Lacks physicality at the top of the route. Built for route turns rather than classic sink-and-break. Route tree was fairly limited. Ball adjustments on the move can be a little disjointed. Needs a little more upper-body strength to sustain his run blocks.

As you can see from his NFL draft profile, he is exactly as he was projected to be.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote