Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How important is a TE
Schematically the TE is the guy who should be sneaking under the defense for easy catches. But if he isn’t a good enough athlete to get to spots fast he’s just not gonna get open.

So your offense damn near needs a good pass catching TE.

That’s why I’m all in on Kyle Pitts.

This offense having a TE that can run a go/wheel/corner route would win us a title. I truly believe that.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 08:49 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: All I know is the Bengals went to two Super Bowls in the 1980s using a TE-centric offense. Often times, two TEs. Heck, Dan Ross recorded a Super Bowl record for a TE. Kenny Anderson thrived with two tight ends. What is not to like about a big receiver who can catch, run and deliver a powerful block when needed. IMHO. a great TE can be more valuable than most wide receivers and RBs. The Patriots and Kansas City prove my point.

While I agree that we need a TE, those 2 teams do not really prove your point.  They had Brady and Mahomes.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 03:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Name the 4-best TEs in the NFL: One could make a great argument for LAPORTA, KITTLE, KELCE, ANDREWS.
What do they have in common? They all played in the conference Championship game

When discussion turns to TE around here one of the quick arguments is: A TE is not a focal point of a Taylor offense.

Yet:
UZOMAH had a career year the one year he spent w/ JB and Zac

HURST restarted his career in Cincy w/ JB and Zac

HUDSON went from a garbage journeyman to a viable part of our offense

I think we currently have 0 TEs under contract and that's not a bad thing IMO

Many are suggesting Tee is priority#1 in the off-season, but money/draft capital may be better spent getting a stud TE.

FA market is kinda thin at the top. He have the likes of Schultz, Fant, and Gesecki.

The draft has a stud TE (Bowers) and if he makes it to 18 he should be the pick

Then we have "rebuilding teams" that may entertain trade

Hockenson is pricey, but could likely be had from Minny as they clear cap

Pitts is being wasted in ATL, maybe the new regime there would prefer picks

Bears would most likely move KMET

What are other's thoughts on TE?

I think it depends what u compare to, none of those teams have a top tier #2, KC and Baltimore does not have a top tier#1 even. Over the past 3 years, a TE with our WR trio would not have been much more than 10 to 15th ranked, only so many touches to go around
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 10:46 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: While I agree that we need a TE, those 2 teams do not really prove your point.  They had Brady and Mahomes.

We have Burrow.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 11:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think it depends what u compare to, none of those teams have a top tier #2, KC and Baltimore does not have a top tier#1 even. Over the past 3 years, a TE with our WR trio would not have been much more than 10 to 15th ranked, only so many touches to go around

SF does. Aiyuk and Deebo are a hell of a duo.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 11:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: We have Burrow.

Burrow is great, don’t get me wrong. But he is not Brady, and until he can at least get one Super Bowl, he isn’t in the convo as best QB in the nfl.

It’s mahomes, and then a distant 2nd (which may still be burrow)
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 08:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They absolutely would. They wanted one last year but the board just didn’t fall that way.

I’d love for this regime to draft a player like Bowers or LaPorta. I don’t think they can afford to do that because of the absolute need at RT. I don’t know this draft class well except I keep hearing that this class isn’t anything like last years. If they didn’t want to draft one last year at there spots, they probably won’t this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 12:51 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I’d love for this regime to draft a player like Bowers or LaPorta. I don’t think they can afford to do that because of the absolute need at RT. I don’t know this draft class well except I keep hearing that this class isn’t anything like last years. If they didn’t want to draft one last year at there spots, they probably won’t this year.

This year’s class is definitely not as good as last year’s for TE’s. But if Bowers fell all the way to 18 they would run to the podium. Guaranteed.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 12:43 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Burrow is great, don’t get me wrong. But he is not Brady, and until he can at least get one Super Bowl, he isn’t in the convo as best QB in the nfl.

What does that have to do with utilizing an elite TE? Wherever you want to rank Burrow the point is he’s a top QB, and giving him a playmaking TE is clearly a good thing.

Reply/Quote
I've been wanting a legit TE for a while. I was disappointed that the team was so willing to let Hurst walk away. The "plug & play" method really bit them in the ass this year with Irv Smith. I was really hoping we'd draft one last year because of how strong the class was. Unfortunately this upcoming draft class is significantly weaker than last year's. I'm hoping we make a run at one of the top FA TEs and then draft an athletic TE.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 12:43 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Burrow is great, don’t get me wrong.  But he is not Brady, and until he can at least get one Super Bowl, he isn’t in the convo as best QB in the nfl.

So the teams with great TEs that won SBs are great because of great QBs, and those QBs were great in part because they won SBs with their great TEs, but our QB hasn't won a SB while lacking a great TE, so he can't be compared to the other QBs who won SBs with great TEs that you don't think they needed great TEs?

Pretty sure I just had an aneurysm.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 12:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This year’s class is definitely not as good as last year’s for TE’s. But if Bowers fell all the way to 18 they would run to the podium. Guaranteed.

Guaranteed that if Bowers somehow magically slips to 16ish, someone will trade up to jump the Bengals and draft him.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 01:20 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Guaranteed that if Bowers somehow magically slips to 16ish, someone will trade up to jump the Bengals and draft him.

Agreed. Even if Bowers somehow falls all the way to 18th, I could see the team passing on him for a DT/OT.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 01:27 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Agreed. Even if Bowers somehow falls all the way to 18th, I could see the team passing on him for a DT/OT.

In a scenario where Bowers is still there at 18 I would have to think there was an absolute run on all the OT’s. And Newton.

Reply/Quote

Maybe a good day two option?

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 11:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: SF does. Aiyuk and Deebo are a hell of a duo.

After this season you are right but the other 3 teams do not have anything near ours so TE is more important for them than us and if we sign chase and higgins it should remain that way, does not mean we can't improve position 
Reply/Quote
So much depends on FA. I would not count out a long term deal with Jonah. Not sure that’s his preference but he may come around. I think they re-sign D J but not a long term deal. They felt they’d got pushed around on the DL. I don’t see anybody pushing around Reader but I’d be remiss. So I don’t think they are locked into anything but they need a RT & DT. Depends on FA which direction.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 09:54 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: So much depends on FA. I would not count out a long term deal with Jonah. Not sure that’s his preference but he may come around. I think they re-sign  D J but not a long term deal. They felt they’d got pushed around on the DL. I don’t see anybody pushing around Reader but I’d be remiss. So I don’t think they are locked into anything but they need a RT & DT. Depends on FA which direction.

They need to draft for both of those spots, regardless of what happens in FA.  You can't keep paying premium money to veterans after striking out on developing picks.  It's simply too expensive and will cost your team talent at other positions eventually.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 10:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They need to draft for both of those spots, regardless of what happens in FA.  You can't keep paying premium money to veterans after striking out on developing picks.  It's simply too expensive and will cost your team talent at other positions eventually.

For sure. I think the NFL draft picks 1-18 usually nail you a very very very good player. After that it becomes more dicey similar to the NBA picks 1-12. We need to get a starter with our first pick. No time for development. But they’d better get a DT or RT in FA. They need to not mess around on those 2 spots. They are critical in fixing our issues in 2024. If it were me I’d go with a DT in FA. And go big. As much as I want Reader it’s a precarious spot for the Bengals and him. Tough spot. I sure want him on the team. A lot have commented. Caesar is in tune but probably not realistic about his man ( and I’m the worst in being the pot calling the kettle black). I don’t pretend to be an expert on salary issues but I’d like to see DJ at $10,000 a year for 2 years with bonuses. Nobody thinks that’s even at minimum realistic. He’s not IMO as valuable ( only due to injuries) as many think.
I sure hope he stays I don’t know how soon he can play but that guy is a disrupter
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 11:25 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: For sure. I think the NFL draft picks 1-18 usually nail you a very very very good player. After that it becomes more dicey similar to the NBA picks 1-12. We need to get a starter with our first pick. No time for development. But they’d better get a DT or RT in FA. They need to not mess around on those 2 spots. They are critical in fixing our issues in 2024. If it were me I’d go with a DT in FA. And go big. As much as I want Reader it’s a precarious spot for the Bengals and him. Tough spot. I sure want him on the team. A lot have commented. Caesar is in tune but probably not realistic about his man ( and I’m the worst in being the pot calling the kettle black). I don’t pretend to be an expert on salary issues but I’d like to see DJ at $10,000 a year for 2 years with bonuses. Nobody thinks that’s even at minimum realistic. He’s not IMO as valuable ( only due to injuries) as many think.
I sure hope he stays I don’t know how soon he can play but that guy is a disrupter

I like him too, but you absolutely have to have a viable Plan B in place, just in case he doesn't return to form.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote