Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How important is a TE
(02-03-2024, 01:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I mentioned in the OP: This is a retort often heard, yet Uzomah, Hurst, and Tanner all had career years w/ JB and Cincy

True! Just think what a good TE with some versatility could do in the Bengals offense.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 01:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I mentioned in the OP: This is a retort often heard, yet Uzomah, Hurst, and Tanner all had career years w/ JB and Cincy

Actually Hurst had his best year in 2020 with Atlanta and Tanner actually was a bit more productive with Browning... Uzomah had a solid year in 2021, especially yac and chunk yards. Hurst was horrible in YAC but reliable safety value, I think Hudson in his brief time showed the most combo skills of YAC and safety value
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 03:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually Hurst had his best year in 2020 with Atlanta and Tanner actually was a bit more productive with Browning... Uzomah  had a solid year in 2021, especially yac and chunk yards. Hurst was horrible in YAC but reliable safety value, I think Hudson in his brief time showed the most combo skills of YAC and safety value

Tanner is not on Hurst's level. 

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 03:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually Hurst had his best year in 2020 with Atlanta and Tanner actually was a bit more productive with Browning... Uzomah  had a solid year in 2021, especially yac and chunk yards. Hurst was horrible in YAC but reliable safety value, I think Hudson in his brief time showed the most combo skills of YAC and safety value

I'd imagine a good many players were a bit more productive with Browning last year; as Burrow was not very good most of the season. The point is: This Offense uses TEs and often uses them to the best season of their career. 

The retort of this Offense doesn't use a TE is just made up at worst, over-blown at most. Imagine how much more we'd use one if we didn't have the best WR trio in the league. TEs are about $9 Mil/year cheaper than WRs. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 05:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd imagine a good many players were a bit more productive with Browning last year; as Burrow was not very good most of the season. The point is: This Offense uses TEs and often uses them to the best season of their career. 

The retort of this Offense doesn't use a TE is just made up at worst, over-blown at most. Imagine how much more we'd use one if we didn't have the best WR trio in the league. TEs are about $9 Mil/year cheaper than WRs. 

This
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Let's also not solely go "either/or". They can and should get Sample and Hudson under contract and can then use Free Agency or the draft to get a playmaking TE. In other words make sure the TE room is stocked properly.
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals need an OT at pick 18, but this thread makes me want Bowers when the pick is announced.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 12:41 AM)Joelist Wrote: Let's also not solely go "either/or". They can and should get Sample and Hudson under contract and can then use Free Agency or the draft to get a playmaking TE. In other words make sure the TE room is stocked properly.

If you bring back both, then you're only changing 1/3rd of the worst TE group in the league. That's hardly stocking properly.

Bring back 1, then either Sign a FA and draft a guy with upside in the middle rounds, or sign two FAs. 

The position needs some proper roster churn to try to bring it's talent level up. It can no longer be that weak because the WR group will no longer have a great trio to shield the offense from the TE group's inadequacies. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 10:49 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If you bring back both, then you're only changing 1/3rd of the worst TE group in the league. That's hardly stocking properly.

Bring back 1, then either Sign a FA and draft a guy with upside in the middle rounds, or sign two FAs. 

The position needs some proper roster churn to try to bring it's talent level up. It can no longer be that weak because the WR group will no longer have a great trio to shield the offense from the TE group's inadequacies. 

Sample, in five seasons, has a total of 80 receptions and 3 TD's. He doesn't move the needle much at TE as a receiver.

I'd keep Hudson and can the rest. Gotta get much better in the TE room
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 02:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Sample, in five seasons, has a total of 80 receptions and 3 TD's. He doesn't move the needle much at TE as a receiver.

I'd keep Hudson and can the rest. Gotta get much better in the TE room

Sample brings more than catches to the game. He's an elite blocker for the position and he is a fixture on STs. 

Sample was a cap hit of $1 Mil last year. I'd gladly pay that again. 

We can put a "Right of first refusal" on Tanner if we want and see what the market bears, then match if we want. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 02:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sample brings more than catches to the game. He's an elite blocker for the position and he is a fixture on STs. 

We can put a "Right of first refusal" on Tanner if we want and see what the market bears, then match if we want. 

Ideally the TE room is Sample, Hudson, then somebody who is better than Hudson as a receiving threat, but also can block better than Hudson

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 05:39 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Rather have an efficient running game

Agree with this. What the OP suggests to me is that Burrow and Zac can make TE's look better. Uzomah/Hurst looked great here, less good elsewhere. Hudson kicked on as the season went on. 

I think finding a way to make our run game an actual weapon would be a bigger step to take. But we could certainly do with a TE upgrade, which is probably more likely to realistically happen I'd guess.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 05:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd imagine a good many players were a bit more productive with Browning last year; as Burrow was not very good most of the season. The point is: This Offense uses TEs and often uses them to the best season of their career. 

This
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I won't be surprised if we bring back Irv Smith Jr.. I think we all were not happy with what we saw from him, but if the coaches/front office feels like that wasn't representative of what he can be and he is cheap they will probably do it. I'm not thrilled with that but who knows...

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 07:43 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I won't be surprised if we bring back Irv Smith Jr.. I think we all were not happy with what we saw from him, but if the coaches/front office feels like that wasn't representative of what he can be and he is cheap they will probably do it. I'm not thrilled with that but who knows...

that's the reason they'll bring him back

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 07:43 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I won't be surprised if we bring back Irv Smith Jr.. I think we all were not happy with what we saw from him, but if the coaches/front office feels like that wasn't representative of what he can be and he is cheap they will probably do it. I'm not thrilled with that but who knows...

He was a healthy scratch at the end of the season. I don't believe he's returning to the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 08:10 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: He was a healthy scratch at the end of the season. I don't believe he's returning to the Bengals.

He’s not coming back

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2024, 04:26 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Tanner is not on Hurst's level. 

Correct  if we compare production Hudson is at a higher level.. This year  Hudson played less snaps but about doubled in catches and yards than Hurst. Now already anticipate your response back will be that Carolina was horrible on offense which is correct but let's compare snap counts and production as a Bengal, in 2022 with Burrow healthy all year Hurst  played 676  snaps had 52 catches and 414, 2 tds where as Hudson this year playing 276 snaps ( 60% less than Hurst) and with a weaker offense had 39 catches , 352 yards and 1 td.  Neither are all pro tight ends but production levels Hudson was better and should be resigned with a chance for more snaps next year  as we eye draft and free agency for better a better TE room
Reply/Quote
Investing in TE makes too much sense for roster building. My overly simple GM take for constructing the offense:

1) Pay Burrow
2) Pay Chase
3) Pay OL
4) Pay a TE over WR2 because TEs typically get paid less
5) Use rounds 2 to 5 to draft RBs and WRs
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2024, 02:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sample brings more than catches to the game. He's an elite blocker for the position and he is a fixture on STs. 

Great then

I just know I want a better TE #1 than we currently have on the team.
Reply/Quote