Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How important is a TE
(02-05-2024, 10:07 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Great then

I just know I want a better TE #1 than we currently have on the team.

Absolutely, and I agree with what Leonardleap was saying about only retaining one of Hudson and Sample, as a rebuild of the TE group should definitely mean more than replacing just one guy.  While I like how Hudson came along as a pass catcher, I see Sample as more vital to the team for his blocking and special teams contributions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 10:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Absolutely, and I agree with what Leonardleap was saying about only retaining one of Hudson and Sample, as a rebuild of the TE group should definitely mean more than replacing just one guy.  While I like how Hudson came along as a pass catcher, I see Sample as more vital to the team for his blocking and special teams contributions.

Depends who else they would bring in if only retaining one guy.
If you're talking about two draft picks instead of just one, when would the second one come?
If both in the first four rounds, you're sacrificing another position of need.
If one is gonna be Rd 5-7, is that low-drafted rookie going to be more of a contributor than Hudson and/or Sample?
Now, if you're talking one guy in the draft and one guy from outside FA, then I'm more interested.

If thinking of just using the draft for new TEs, I'd rather try to retain both Sample and Hudson this year and draft one guy, then draft another guy next year who can replace one of the other guys. So more of a replace-over-time method.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 11:03 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If thinking of just using the draft for new TEs, I'd rather try to retain both Sample and Hudson this year and draft one guy, then draft another guy next year who can replace one of the other guys. So more of a replace-over-time method.

A replace-over-time method is likely more realistic. I suppose a different outcome would be if they signed a free agent capable of starting like Dalton Schultz or Hunter Henry and then also drafted a talent like Bowers. That would require a whole lot of moving parts perfectly align though to happen.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 11:17 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: A replace-over-time method is likely more realistic. I suppose a different outcome would be if they signed a free agent capable of starting like Dalton Schultz or Hunter Henry and then also drafted a talent like Bowers. That would require a whole lot of moving parts perfectly align though to happen.

I would not think they'd invest that much into the TE position, personally.

I think if they were to get a Schultz, Henry, or Fant kinda guy in FA, we'd be looking at a Day 3 TE as a long-term backup or groomed as a future starter who would need multiple years of development before taking over.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
There is not a lot of depth to this article from 2016 about Tom Brady and TEs, but I'd be good with a "Joe Burrow" loves his TEs story especially if it meant a Bengals offense that was dominating opposing defenses.

The article: https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/tom-bradys-love-affair-tight-ends-stats-story/story?id=42981814
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 11:27 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I would not think they'd invest that much into the TE position, personally.

I think if they were to get a Schultz, Henry, or Fant kinda guy in FA, we'd be looking at a Day 3 TE as a long-term backup or groomed as a future starter who would need multiple years of development before taking over.

I'm in agreement since the team has more roster needs than just TE. I was just brainstorming the only likely way there is a massive overhaul in the TE room from this year to next.

I suppose another scenario is if every Bengals TE leaves in free agency leaving the roster with little to know experience at the position. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 10:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Absolutely, and I agree with what Leonardleap was saying about only retaining one of Hudson and Sample, as a rebuild of the TE group should definitely mean more than replacing just one guy.  While I like how Hudson came along as a pass catcher, I see Sample as more vital to the team for his blocking and special teams contributions.

The problem  how much capital we can invest at TE in a year vs what other areas we don't. Realistically we either draft TE in 3/4 round or sign a FA to 3 yr type deal, I don't seeing doing both in one year. I absolutely sign Hudson if possible his production was very good  with his limited snap count. Now that could change with what we decide with Tee. I don't want 1 year rental like we have had of late.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 11:51 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The problem  how much capital we can invest at TE in a year vs what other areas we don't. Realistically we either draft TE in 3/4 round or sign a FA to 3 yr type deal, I don't seeing doing both in one year. I absolutely sign Hudson if possible his production was very good  with his limited snap count. Now that could change with what we decide with Tee.

If they aren't investing a huge contract into Tee Higgins, then I would say that they could spend whatever they want to on a veteran TE.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 11:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they aren't investing a huge contract into Tee Higgins, then I would say that they could spend whatever they want to on a veteran TE.

For sure, there aren't any TEs who will pull in the money Tee does. Heck, you might even be able to land Schultz and Fant for the price of Tee.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 11:54 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they aren't investing a huge contract into Tee Higgins, then I would say that they could spend whatever they want to on a veteran TE.

Well I saw it another way, if they don't sign Tee less likely they will draft 3/4 round TE and sign a veteran TE. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 12:05 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: For sure, there aren't any TEs who will pull in the money Tee does. Heck, you might even be able to land Schultz and Fant for the price of Tee.

I'm not sure that would be as smart as signing one or the other for 2-3 years and drafting the TE of the future.  The rest of that money can be used to sure up other areas, like on the DL.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 07:26 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Correct  if we compare production Hudson is at a higher level.. This year  Hudson played less snaps but about doubled in catches and yards than Hurst. Now already anticipate your response back will be that Carolina was horrible on offense which is correct but let's compare snap counts and production as a Bengal, in 2022 with Burrow healthy all year Hurst  played 676  snaps had 52 catches and 414, 2 tds where as Hudson this year playing 276 snaps ( 60% less than Hurst) and with a weaker offense had 39 catches , 352 yards and 1 td.  Neither are all pro tight ends but production levels Hudson was better and should be resigned with a chance for more snaps next year  as we eye draft and free agency for better a better TE room

Lol you are such an uninformed stat chaser.  Your lack of ball knowledge is embarrassing.

You know more than the Tampa Bay Bucs?
2018 Signed Hudson as an UDFA, then cut him.
2019 Signed him again to the PS and he actually caught 2 passes.
2020 Signed him again to the PS and he actually caught 3 passes.

You know more than the 49ers?
2021 Signed to PS, never played and was waived.

You know more than the NY Giants?
2022 Signed to PS, never played and was waived.

Bengals?

In 2023 with a totally depleted TE room Hudson finally had a solid year, but they could not trust him to block on run plays, maybe listen to Casey lamenting his lack of run blocking?

We have fans like this that don't know anything about the NFL thinking we can succeed with practice player guys.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 12:50 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lol you are such an uninformed stat chaser.  Your lack of ball knowledge is embarrassing.

Bengals?

In 2023 with a totally depleted TE room Hudson finally had a solid year, but they could not trust him to block on run plays, maybe listen to Casey lamenting his lack of run blocking?

We have fans like this that don't know anything about the NFL thinking we can succeed with practice player guys.

I think he was saying Hurst was better despite Hudson sort of putting up better numbers.

but Hudson statistically benefitted from Tee Higgins missing a bunch of games, and Boyd falling way off

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 12:55 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I think he was saying Hurst was better despite Hudson sort of putting up better numbers.

but Hudson statistically benefitted from Tee Higgins missing a bunch of games, and Boyd falling way off

Does it really matter why he was able to benefit from the opportunity of having more balls thrown his way?  Seems like the important thing here is that he was ready to step up and make those catches.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 01:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Does it really matter why he was able to benefit from the opportunity of having more balls thrown his way?  Seems like the important thing here is that he was ready to step up and make those catches.

I like Hudson but Hurst was better. Idk why Hurst still has all these detractors lol

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 01:14 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I like Hudson but Hurst was better. Idk why Hurst still has all these detractors lol

I think that the deal with Hurst is that he is viewed as a 1st round bust.  I mean, it was just bad luck for him to have been drafted by the Ravens, who also selected Mark Andrews.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 12:50 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lol you are such an uninformed stat chaser.  Your lack of ball knowledge is embarrassing.

Bengals?

You spin more than a carousel,  good try ...amazing how some fans have head in sand mentality 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 01:46 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You spin more than a carousel,  good try ...amazing how some fans have head in sand mentality 

You have made so many stupid and just factually wrong statements on here that Im glad you disagree with me.  I could pull so many receipts of just utter lack of basic knowledge.  But you keep being you.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2024, 12:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not sure that would be as smart as signing one or the other for 2-3 years and drafting the TE of the future.  The rest of that money can be used to sure up other areas, like on the DL.

For sure. Duke has some roster retooling work ahead of him with free agency and the draft beyond the TE position.
Reply/Quote
I still think with the holes we have at RT. DT, and CB/S, we will look to draft the new TE in rd 3-4 depending on who's available. I actually see our depth chart in 24 as:

1) Tanner Hudson- primary TE in passing downs
2) Cade Stover or Ben Sinnott- draft picks either in rd 3/4
3) Drew Sample- fits a blocking back type package.

- I think we will look at upgrading the Dline and secondary depth in free agency with a solid swing G/T veteran on offense line. The TE position is one that we will not invest alot of capital on IMO
Reply/Quote