Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long before hill is cut?
(05-04-2017, 09:20 AM)sonofstat Wrote: If Mixon performs and Gio recovers at some point in the season then I agree.

Hill has been a conundrum...I still have a sneaking suspicion that if he departs and lands in the right situation he could still deliver real solid production (1000yd seasons) to a team...maybe like how Ced Benson found a home with us for a few years after the bears

I have a feeling hill will look a little more like he did in his rookie season. I don't think it'll matter in regards to him staying in Cincinnati, as I believe the writing is on the wall for him. But I do foresee a player that will once again run with a purpose, knowing he is auditioning every single week.

The Mixon pick coupled with hills contract year is going to raise everyone's game in that RB room. It was a great pick and I believe the offense will greatly benefit in more ways than one from it.

In essence we get to use hills desire to make his next paycheck more substantial and then let him walk and watch someone overpay him. Then we "officially" replace him with Mixon and quite possibly get better in the process. Perfect storm.

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 12:29 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Hill=Comp pick

This is probably the truth. 
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:40 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I know it may not even be this season, but if mixon is the real deal you gotta figure mixon will be the feature back and hill will be gone. When would you expect them to cut ties? I think Bernard is going no where as he he can do it all including catch the ball out of the backfield. I really liked the Lawson's pick as he could be a stud being the number 1 guy out of highschool and stays away from pacman. Ross and Malone I think can be really good. I don't know much about ross and his hands whic worry me, but hopefully with a healthy green and eifert, ross and Malone will shine. I like getting the Memphis kicker even though we probably should of took the guy from azst. But the kid from Memphis has never missed inside 31 yards. I thought we did well in the draft good but not great but we filled some needs What are your concerns.

never know whats gonna happen lets see how Gio recovers before we get rid of hill
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 10:05 AM)Slythe Wrote: This is probably the truth. 

With the deals HB's were getting this year it  may not even qualify.

As to the idea of cutting Hill, I still have a suspicion that Gio starts the season on PUP so we could see a split backfield of Hill and Mixon early.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 10:05 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: never know whats gonna happen lets see how Gio recovers before we get rid of hill

Totally Agree, real quick to pull trigger on release of Hill when we have no clue to what extent Gio will return. I can see them slowly working him back into the scheme this season, while mixon and hill get bulk of the carries early on.
Reply/Quote
He's going to play out his rookie contract and compete for a starting job elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 10:33 AM)lbrown41017 Wrote: Totally Agree, real quick to pull trigger on release of Hill when we have no clue to what extent Gio will return. I can see them slowly working him back into the scheme this season, while mixon and hill get bulk of the carries early on.

If gio and Mixson are tearing it up for us I could see a possible week 6-8 trade depending on how injuries shake out with us and other teams
Reply/Quote
Btw

Read that Gio is on track for TC in one of the draft articles.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:40 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I know it may not even be this season, but if mixon is the real deal you gotta figure mixon will be the feature back and hill will be gone. When would you expect them to cut ties? I think Bernard is going no where as he he can do it all including catch the ball out of the backfield. I really liked the Lawson's pick as he could be a stud being the number 1 guy out of highschool and stays away from pacman. Ross and Malone I think can be really good. I don't know much about ross and his hands whic worry me, but hopefully with a healthy green and eifert, ross and Malone will shine. I like getting the Memphis kicker even though we probably should of took the guy from azst. But the kid from Memphis has never missed inside 31 yards. I thought we did well in the draft good but not great but we filled some needs What are your concerns.

I would not be happy if we did not  give Hill 2017 to prove he belongs on this team. Gio more than likely will not be 100% in 2017, may not be ready to play by camp so releasing our current starting RB seems like a very bad idea. He is on last year of his contract, let's see how he does in 2017.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
He'll be here through the rest of the year. He'll have a decent campaign as Mixon's backup and the final straw will be his fumble in Week 17 that keeps us out of the playoffs.

:paul: I'm sure that won't happen. But I doubt he's here next year.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 01:40 AM)kevin Wrote: This is just silly.   We need both Hill and Mixon.......One RB is not enough......Burkhead gone.....Bernard was very injured and news is he is still injured. ....What are my concerns ???  My concerns are people that think this is such a great draft that we can get rid of all the veterans and just suit up and field these rookies.   Truth is these drafted and undrafted free agents could add to the veterans and hopefully get us back to the play-offs.  The key words here are " added to the veterans "....Over the last 5 years Hill is one of the top touchdown scoring backs in the NFL. He isn't going anywhere.  A RB was needed because we were down to just Hill and Peerman.  That is not enough.  Mixon happened to be the RB added, but Hill isn't going anywhere.  Hill will be a Bengal and go in as the starter in 2017.   It's up to Mixon to earn playing time.  Mixon will find the yards are harder to gain in NFL going up against Steelers and Ravens defenses than in college. 

As good as Elliott was for Dallas, the Dallas coach played other running backs beside Elliott......As good as Ickey Woods was, we also needed James Brooks. As good as they both were we also needed Stanly Wilson. as good as those 3 were we also needed Jennings. .....We had a need for Pete Johnson and Alexander and Archie Griffin ......With Burkhead gone and Bernard injured, Hill can not be a one man RB crew. So Mixon added. My hope is Bernard recovers to help Hill and Mixon. IF YOU ARE THINKING PLAY-OFF WINS and SUPER BOWL, You need a stable of running backs and you move players in and out keeping Fresh Legs on the field.  You want the D to get worn out and cement legs and hit them with the fresh legs.  Jim Brown said even he could not avoid fatigue and the best athlete ever suffers from fatigue.  This is why we need the stable of WR's and the stable of RB's if we are to ever get that Play-Off Win and another Super Bowl Trip.

There may be a good chance that a free agent running back makes the team at some point.  They also still have Carson from the practice squad
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 11:49 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: There may be a good chance that a free agent running back makes the team at some point.  They also still have Carson from the practice squad

If Gio is not ready to go, and they keep Hill as the heavy back and use Mixon in Gio's spot, that's one thing. If they are using Mixon in Hill's spot as the heavy back, it would make more sense for them to use Boom Williams in Gio's spot than it would Carson. At any rate, I suspect Carson is gone...
Reply/Quote
Jeremy Hill will not be cut.
He will be allowed to test free agency without much of an offer after 2017, even he makes the Pro Bowl and runs for 1,200 yards (which the Bengals hope he does, by the way).
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 12:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I like Gio, but what has he ever done to earn big money? 

Seems like it's been years since he's made a splash play... Like 2014 or so.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Bernard is coming off of a major knee injury that he sustained towards the end of last season. He likely won't be ready to start the year. No way do they waive Hill in the final year of his contract.

I doubt Malone sees many snaps this year outside of special teams.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 12:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If Gio is not ready to go, and they keep Hill as the heavy back and use Mixon in Gio's spot, that's one thing. If they are using Mixon in Hill's spot as the heavy back, it would make more sense for them to use Boom Williams in Gio's spot than it would Carson. At any rate, I suspect Carson is gone...

Boom Williams makes sense.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
If gio comes back healthy the writing is on the wall for hill, IF mixon shows hecan be the guy. If that's the case he is auditioning for a new team next yr while showing mixon the ropes. As we all saw last yr hill spent too much time in the backfield dancing around waiting for a hole to open that never would which is why he would have 18 carries for 9 yards. He can't get away with that this yr especially since we lost a couple studs on the o line and if ced doesn't improve it could be a long yr for dalton and the running game.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Gio will be ready until week 8 or so. Hill won't be going anywhere yet
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 12:55 AM)Butchie Tiger Wrote: Can we see how Mixon looks before we think about cutting Hill.
We've seen him in college dominate.  I can understand the skepticism if he was only sub-par or played against lesser competition, but dude was pretty solid.

We've had our fair share of flops, but I think he's a pretty sure thing.
(05-04-2017, 11:24 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would not be happy if we did not  give Hill 2017 to prove he belongs on this team. Gio more than likely will not be 100% in 2017, may not be ready to play by camp so releasing our current starting RB seems like a very bad idea. He is on last year of his contract, let's see how he does in 2017.

We've given him chances and he's only struggled more and more.  I say we give him a fair share of carries in the preseason but, unless he tears it up, I'd say we cut him before season.

Best-case scenario, IMCO, is that he does alright in preseason but not enough to solidify the starting job, and then, as someone else suggested, we trade him after week 6 for a back-needy team.

Or Hill and Mixon both tear it up and it drives up Hill's trade value.

I wonder if teams can get past that fumble and his overall fumbling problems, though.
Reply/Quote
Hill. Mixon. Bernard. Doesn't really matter. Why? Hmmm... let's see..

1) Offensive line completely SUCKED last year.

2) Offensive line will be minus their 2 best players this year.

3) Ogbeuhi is garbage.

4) We have no proven right tackle (sorta important in the run game)

5) Bodine isn't great.

6) Alexander is still the line coach.

7) We have NEVER been able to figure out an effective blocking scheme (including WR's/TE's)

8) You get the picture.

Sorry, I have no optimism about our run game. Your run game is only as good as your OL. And the Bengals OL stinks.
Reply/Quote