Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many "top FA" OL could we sign?
I was checking out the NFL.com top FA list: https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2022-who-are-the-best-nfl-players-available.

OL that made the top 50 FA list:

4) Terron Amstead OT: 31, great leader, gets hurt.
5) Orlando Brown OT: 26, likely remains in KC.
16) Brandon Scherff OG: 30, Pro Bowler but similar to Amstead in that he gets hurt.
19) Ryan Jensen C: 31, stud player and might be available because TB can't afford their whole roster (so I read).
21) Duane Brown OT: 37, older and had a bad season.
29) James Daniels OG: 24, has the ability to play C and is viewed as an "above-average" player.
33) Joe Noteboom OT: 27, predicted to remain with the Rams.
40) Bradley Bozeman C: 27, reliable young talent.
42) Ben Jones C: 33, has only missed 1 game in 10 seasons; comparable talent is Jensen.
44) Trent Brown OT: 29, Pro Bowl talent and labeled a risk because of injury and motivation.
45) Cam Robinson OT: 26, listed as an average LT.

Others from the top 101: Laken Tomlinson, Eric Fisher, Connor Williams, Alex Cappa, Morgan Moses, & Austin Corbett.

I think there are some intriguing options and I'd be happy if the Bengals found a way to revamp the entire starting OL minus Jonah Williams as he's the one guy I'd keep. Guys like Carman can be a valuable backup. Realistically, how many FA OL can we even sign or want to sign? I'd be happy landing Bozeman and taking a gamble on a top end guy like Amstead despite the injury history.

Random notes: Our own Jesse Bates is #10 on the list & Andy Dalton is #101 on the list.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I see no reason why the Bengals couldn't sign 1 top 50 guy, and 1 top 100 guy. I personnally think this is the way to go, and then draft a guy in the first or second round. For me:

1) Ben Jones- C. Gives us a solid veteran on the IOL, and should'nt be too expensive.

2) Morgan Moses-RT. same as above.

3) draft- Zion Johnson RG (Boston College)

New line: Williams, Carmen, Jones, Johnson, Moses

backups: Hill, Prince, Smith, Fred Johnson, OG/C draft pick. I've seen enough of Adeniji.
Reply/Quote
Bengals don't give out multi-year contract to guys over 30 too often, if ever. I'm looking at guys like Bozeman, who was 2nd in the league for Centers in Pass Block Win Rate, and James Daniels who is only 24 and can play anywhere on the interior. Sign those 2 and draft another OL at 31 and you cut Burrow's sacks in half from 2021.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Age will definitely be in the discussion. Didn't realize Ben Jones was 33 and both Jensen and Armstead were 31.

Might make me lean towards James Daniels and Bozeman with the age argument. How old is Morgan Moses?
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 02:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Age will definitely be in the discussion. Didn't realize Ben Jones was 33 and both Jensen and Armstead were 31.

Might make me lean towards James Daniels and Bozeman with the age argument. How old is Morgan Moses?

31 on Thursday 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 05:44 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: 31 on Thursday 

Thanks.

Guess that isn't really old but I might look at Trent Brown over Moses for this reason if Trent is motivated to block for Burrow.

Honestly looking at the Draft picks that might be around at 31 I like the Guards in Tyler Smith and Zion Johnson better than the
Tackles, I don't see Cross or Penning falling to 31. Raimann is really raw, has a high ceiling but we need proven starters. 

I think both Tyler Smith and Zion could start immediately at Guard as rookies or at least push Carman and D'Ante Smith big time.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 06:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks.

Guess that isn't really old but I might look at Trent Brown over Moses for this reason if Trent is motivated to block for Burrow.

Honestly looking at the Draft picks that might be around at 31 I like the Guards in Tyler Smith and Zion Johnson better than the
Tackles, I don't see Cross or Penning falling to 31. Raimann is really raw, has a high ceiling but we need proven starters. 

I think both Tyler Smith and Zion could start immediately at Guard as rookies or at least push Carman and D'Ante Smith big time.

Speaking of Smith, what are the odds he gets a go for the RT spot or Carmen even?
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 08:36 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Speaking of Smith, what are the odds he gets a go for the RT spot or Carmen even?

Should have an open competition no matter who we get in here IMO.

I really liked what I saw of D'Ante Smith when he was healthy in the Preseason and I love Carman if he can work on his hand
placement and get some consistency when pass blocking. Still if we bring in say Trent Brown or Morgan Moses I bet one of 
these guys wins the job with their experience.

I think that Carman can be a great Guard but it is obvious the switch to the right side messed with him along with the back 
injury. Still he outplayed Adeniji by a far cry and don't understand why Carman wasn't starting in the SB over him.

Could of meant the difference in our favor for heck sake.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 10:44 AM)schroomytunes Wrote: I see no reason why the Bengals couldn't sign 1 top 50 guy, and 1 top 100 guy. I personnally think this is the way to go, and then draft a guy in the first or second round. For me:

1) Ben Jones- C. Gives us a solid veteran on the IOL, and should'nt be too expensive.

2) Morgan Moses-RT. same as above.

3) draft- Zion Johnson RG (Boston College)

New line: Williams, Carmen, Jones, Johnson, Moses

backups: Hill, Prince, Smith, Fred Johnson, OG/C draft pick. I've seen enough of Adeniji.

That’s a real possibility. I think they move up 5-10 spots and take either Linderbaum, Johnson, or Raimman. Of course that depends on FA. Right now I see a top center a mid-level guard and a tackle at #31.
Reply/Quote
No reason they can't afford at least a combo like Jensen and Daniels.
Reply/Quote
I’m fine with Duane brown for 2 years at 36. I think we can solve the immidiAte issue with FA and plan long term with the draft.
Reply/Quote
Watched Mike's video breakdown of Ryan Jensen vs the Eagles (regular season game) and he has me on board. Dude is a tone-setter and plays better than his PFF grade. Give him the bag. Also really love Austin Corbett. Those two would really shore up the interior. We have the money to sign both and keep Bates.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 11:14 PM)Mobster Wrote: No reason they can't afford at least a combo like Jensen and Daniels.

That would be a great combo
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 11:14 PM)Mobster Wrote: No reason they can't afford at least a combo like Jensen and Daniels.

True. Maybe even bring back Reiff for another 1 year deal on top of it to mentor Carman and another early pick to play RT.

(03-01-2022, 11:24 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I’m fine with Duane brown for 2 years at 36.  I think we can solve the immidiAte issue with FA and plan long term with the draft.

How did Duane play last year? That is pretty old for an OT if you don't consider what Whit did.

(03-02-2022, 01:06 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Watched Mike's video breakdown of Ryan Jensen vs the Eagles (regular season game) and he has me on board. Dude is a tone-setter and plays better than his PFF grade. Give him the bag. Also really love Austin Corbett. Those two would really shore up the interior. We have the money to sign both and keep Bates.

I have been going back and forth between Bozeman vs Jensen and Corbett vs Daniels.

One thing I have to mention is I like the Guards that should be available in the Draft early more than the OT's.

After Cross and Penning I don't think there is an OT that could start right away, these two should be gone. 

Raimann is raw, played TE before the switch to OT and only has 1 year there.

I really think bringing in a vet RT is the way to go and draft a Guard like Tyler Smith or Zion Johnson at 31.

Heck, I am really starting to like Jamaree Salyer out of Georgia a lot the more I check him out.

(03-02-2022, 01:15 AM)phil413 Wrote: That would be a great combo

So many combos could really help this team.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 02:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How did Duane play last year? That is pretty old for an OT if you don't consider what Whit did.

A wild-card name on the list is Duane Brown. He has been one of the best left tackles in the league over his NFL career and made a massive improvement to the Seattle Seahawks‘ offensive line when the team acquired him. Brown is now 36 years old, and his 71.5 PFF grade last season was his lowest since he was a rookie. Brown may still be able to bounce back to elite levels for a year or two, but it could also be the start of a steeper decline.
Reply/Quote
Connor Williams on a short term deal,  Joseph Noteboom long term deal,  Brian Allen long term deal, and another lesser known OT From Washington Cornelius  Adams. All would be nice pickups.
All of those guys fit the system and would be cheap.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 06:25 PM)J24 Wrote: Connor Williams on a short term deal,  Joseph Noteboom long term deal,  Brian Allen long term deal, and another lesser known OT From Washington Cornelius  Adams. All would be nice pickups.
All of those guys fit the system and would be cheap.

Curious why you would do a ST deal for Williams with his youth at his current projected market?
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 06:32 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Curious why you would do a ST deal for Williams with his youth at his current projected market?

He had the most penalties in the league last season and was benched last season by the Cowboys. I don't think his market is that huge and one year prove it deal should work for him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 05:55 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: A wild-card name on the list is Duane Brown. He has been one of the best left tackles in the league over his NFL career and made a massive improvement to the Seattle Seahawks‘ offensive line when the team acquired him. Brown is now 36 years old, and his 71.5 PFF grade last season was his lowest since he was a rookie. Brown may still be able to bounce back to elite levels for a year or two, but it could also be the start of a steeper decline.

Sounds like he might be on the decline but still better than what we got and Duane could mentor our young guys for a year
or two till they got up to speed similar to what I had in mind for Reiff before I heard about the retirement rumor. Would be
fine with Duane Brown as he might be the cheapest option at RT for us cause of his age.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 10:27 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I was checking out the NFL.com top FA list: https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2022-who-are-the-best-nfl-players-available.

OL that made the top 50 FA list:

4) Terron Amstead OT: 31, great leader, gets hurt.
5) Orlando Brown OT: 26, likely remains in KC.
16) Brandon Scherff OG: 30, Pro Bowler but similar to Amstead in that he gets hurt.
19) Ryan Jensen C: 31, stud player and might be available because TB can't afford their whole roster (so I read).
21) Duane Brown OT: 37, older and had a bad season.
29) James Daniels OG: 24, has the ability to play C and is viewed as an "above-average" player.
33) Joe Noteboom OT: 27, predicted to remain with the Rams.
40) Bradley Bozeman C: 27, reliable young talent.
42) Ben Jones C: 33, has only missed 1 game in 10 seasons; comparable talent is Jensen.
44) Trent Brown OT: 29, Pro Bowl talent and labeled a risk because of injury and motivation.
45) Cam Robinson OT: 26, listed as an average LT.

Others from the top 101: Laken Tomlinson, Eric Fisher, Connor Williams, Alex Cappa, Morgan Moses, & Austin Corbett.

I think there are some intriguing options and I'd be happy if the Bengals found a way to revamp the entire starting OL minus Jonah Williams as he's the one guy I'd keep. Guys like Carman can be a valuable backup. Realistically, how many FA OL can we even sign or want to sign? I'd be happy landing Bozeman and taking a gamble on a top end guy like Amstead despite the injury history.

Random notes: Our own Jesse Bates is #10 on the list & Andy Dalton is #101 on the list.

Rather than say a number of players, I'll say my estimated amount they'd consider spending.
Up to $30 mill APY.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote