Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to beat the Patriots
(11-13-2015, 03:17 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Andy had his worst passer rating and overall performance of the season against the team that blitzed the most frequently.

Just sayin'.

Fair point.  I keep reading that he has a great QB rating against the blitz though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 03:28 PM)Earendil Wrote: Fair point.  I keep reading that he has a great QB rating against the blitz though.

Oh I'm sure he does this year, his rating overall is extremely high and we've all seen him make some great decisions with defenders in his face.

I was just pointing out that we may not want to see teams constantly coming at him, since a team tried that and it actually seemed to work quite a bit. I don't know for sure if it was Pittsburgh's schemes, personnel, or a good mix of both, but I hope I don't see teams constantly coming after Andy again.

We have a great o-line, but Pittsburgh still found ways to disrupt Andy in many ways throughout that whole game.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 03:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You wouldn't be saying Seattle failed if they ran it instead of threw an interception in that SB.

They would of won using that same strategy...

I still would be saying that b/c the Seattle Defense got torched by the Pats.  Seattle would have won that game not b/c of their defense but b/c of their offense. 
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 03:41 PM)CoreyK Wrote: I still would be saying that b/c the Seattle Defense got torched by the Pats.  Seattle would have won that game not b/c of their defense but b/c of their offense. 

I doubt it. Winning would of covered up the fact Seattle's D got torched.

This is all hypothetical though cause they made that stupid decision and lost.

Blitzing has never really worked with Brady that is all i know. Maybe your exotic looks might, who knows?

All i know is what has worked and that is getting pressure with your front four and covering his weapons.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 03:01 PM)CoreyK Wrote: I agree that was the "old way" to beat the Patriots.  However, Pats changed their offense in response to those 2 super bowl losses.  Look at Seattle Super Bowl last year.  They tried the same strategy as the Giants and failed.  The main reason for their failure is that Brady gets the ball out of his hands much more quickly now.  Edelman; Amendola; J.White are all there to beat man-man or sit in zones and catch short passes.  This is not a team who likes to throw deep unless they have favorable man-man matchup with Gronkowski.  Its far too difficult to get pressure on these quick timing throws they use IMO.

Seattle didn't have the offense to outscore the Pats. 

Get pressure with the front 4, play press zone, keep them out of the end zone as much as possible and score score score.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
By not playing them.

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 04:23 AM)jeremydc Wrote: By not playing them.

This. 
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
How do you beat a team, if you don't play a team?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
We beat Brady at PBS a couple of years ago. The key was our front four getting a push up the middle (Geno was great) and our tall DE's removed outside passing lanes and tipped a few balls.

We have to get to that game, but we did beat Brady and the Pats in recent history in a low scoring game. My point being our offense is much better this year than when we beat them as well.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 03:03 PM)djs7685 Wrote: No issue with dreaming a bit, but why so many threads about the Patriots, a team that we may not even see this season? I could understand a thread popping up here and there to discuss the matchup, but it's getting to the point where you'd think we were playing them this weekend.

A sweater and jeans, by the way. You?

Best two teams in the NFL. The matchup would come down to our magic versus the Pats' consistency.

Um... Khakis?
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 02:21 PM)CoreyK Wrote: I do NOT think you can play Base Defense (Rush 4 and play man-to-man with 2 safety help) and beat the Patriots.  Edelman; Gronkowski; Amendola and James White win too many man-man battles and Brady is too accurate and putting the ball where it needs to be.  We saw this in last years Super Bowl vs Seattle and nothing has changed since then. 

If I were calling the defense I would spend the entire game playing exotic looking 3rd down defenses even on 1st and 2nd downs.  What I mean by this is...I would take Peko out of the game entirely.  I would have Geno MJ and Dunlap rushing as DL.  Then with the back 8 I would call all sorts of various blitzes and different rotational zone schemes with the DBs to try and confuse Brady. 

Now I know the Patriots will simply try and pound the ball with double TEs all day running Blount against such a defense but my question to you is....wouldn't you rather have the Patriots running game and Blount try and beat you than Tom Brady?   If you force them to run you have more chances for fumbles; more chances to hit a gap and stop run in the backfield or holding call that would be a drive killer.  Also the confusion would most likely lead to 1-2 int or an extra couple sacks to stop drives. 

I know such a strategy goes against conventional football but if the other team is better than your players man-to-man don't you have to at least try something different strategy wise to give your team a chance?  I have a hard time believing Brady would accept running Blount 30-35 times and NOt audible into pass plays out of frustration. 

Just my two cents.  What does everyone else think?  If we meet the PAtriots in the Playoffs should we play Base Defense or try something completely exotic like I have suggested.  

Our best chance of beating the Patriots is to get the #1 seed so we can host them in our house.  They cheat in their house.
Reply/Quote
There's a very good chance the Pats lose this week. The Giants have their number and they will most likely be starting 2 kids that played Center in college at Offensive Tackle.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Anyone know WHO has beaten AT the Pats over the last 5 years?
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 05:00 PM)Whacked Wrote: Anyone know WHO has beaten AT the Pats over the last 5 years?

Since '11? Giants, Cardinals, 49ers and Bills.

37-4 at home since then. Add on '09 and '10.
53-4

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 06:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Since '11? Giants, Cardinals, 49ers and Bills.

37-4 at home since then. Add on '09 and '10.
53-4

Thank you. 

Dang that's a SICK record 
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 06:17 PM)Whacked Wrote: Thank you. 

Dang that's a SICK record 

Ravens in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 04:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's a very good chance the Pats lose this week. The Giants have their number and they will most likely be starting 2 kids that played Center in college at Offensive Tackle.

good chance? its a straight given!
Reply/Quote
Get a pass rush on Tom Brady. Make him make quick throws, double/triple Gronk, and just pray that your corners and other DBs don't get beat one-on-one.

I'd even sell-out and play the corners tight and have them jump routes..... risk giving up the big play, but go big or go home because we'd be playing for all the marbles when we played them (AFC Championship, most likely). They don't have much of a run game, so just go all-out ambush on Brady.

Everyone is tired of hearing me calling for Hill, but we'd need him in this game because we need to establish the run to keep Tom Brady on the sidelines. Brady has the Pats at #1 in points per drive, but he can't lead the offense while he's standing on the sidelines. Milk the clock. They don't have the run game to try and pound the ball against us, which their run d isn't that great, but other teams try to throw the ball to go blow for blow with them instead of running to do the things I've mentioned, which is why they're 3rd in rush yards allowed per game but actually 17th in yards per carry.

Don't try to get into a scoring contest with them, but just make our drives count and limit theirs.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2015, 07:27 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Ravens in the playoffs.

Ravens are the Pats kryptonite in the playoffs, the same way the Giants are. The same way the Colts are the Broncos kryptonite.

Reply/Quote
My friend and I figured it out tonight. You sign a crummy player off of the practice squad and yes send him after Bilicheck early in the game. Knock him out with some bogus illegal hit and see if they can play the same after that... The only way is to take the master out Ninja
Reply/Quote